Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,348,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Besides the Ironbound, some areas to consider are the many neighborhoods that make up "North Newark" .... 7th Avenue, Upper and Lower Broadway, Roseville, and Forrest Hill.

Lower Roseville is run down and ghetto(though Upper Roseville's okay), same with 7th Ave unless you're at the Colondades and it really depends which block you're on in the Broadway area.

The Ironbound and North Newark are NOT the ONLY 2 areas that are stable. There's also Ivy Hill/Upper Vailsburg west of Sanford Ave towards South Orange and the southeastern part of Weequahic between Bergen St. to the park, and from Mapes Ave down into Hillside. Some multfamiliy houses with apartments there. I'm from East Orange and know this area so you can DM me for details.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

341 posts, read 679,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

Lower Roseville is run down and ghetto(though Upper Roseville's okay), same with 7th Ave unless you're at the Colondades and it really depends which block you're on in the Broadway area.

The Ironbound and North Newark are NOT the ONLY 2 areas that are stable. There's also Ivy Hill/Upper Vailsburg west of Sanford Ave towards South Orange and the southeastern part of Weequahic between Bergen St. to the park, and from Mapes Ave down into Hillside. Some multfamiliy houses with apartments there. I'm from East Orange and know this area so you can DM me for details.
[/LEFT]

Yeah... I'll admit it that you are correct concerning Lower Roseville. Actually calling it run down and ghetto might even be too nice for some spots over there.

I don't know how I forgot to mention Vailsburg and Ivy Hill! When I was a teenager we lived on Longfellow Ave near Marion Ave. That neighborhood is still very nice; especially the small enclave bounded on the east by Sanford Ave, the south by South Orange Ave, the north by Marion Ave, and on the west by Dover St and the Village of South Orange.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM

14 posts, read 33,295 times
How about Mt Pleasant/Lower Broadway? It's north of Bloomfield Ave.

I'll find out this week if I have an interview for the program, and within 2 weeks I will know if I'm accepted.

Also...how many people advertise just with signs in Newark (not online or through agents?) I'm wondering if it's worth walking certain neighborhoods to see if there are vacancies that aren't advertised in the areas I'm interested in?

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,551 times
To be very honest, I don't think Newark has what you are looking for. If you're not very familiar with the city I would not recommend it. Maplewood has the feel you are looking for as well as Union. I would look at NJ Transit train lines to and from Broad St Station and consider those towns. Yes, by and large the West Ward is terrible. Be careful of Elizabeth, too. I am not trying to scare you by any means, but some people are uncomfortable in certain environments. Nutley and Bloomfield are viable options as well.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM

273 posts, read 673,547 times
Just my two cents though this is an old thread may be useful for those considering living in Newark:

Ironbound - for the most safe urban feel with excellent access to restaurants and shopping for basics and some café nightlife (that is sitting with friends over a coffee and dessert or a beer at night is fine). Only areas not that great are heading at its southern edge near the industrial areas. Gets a bit desolate and though not too bad in safety still have to be careful with your car. Fantastic transportation to NYC, NJ and ALL around the country due to its proximity to Newark Penn Station. Also, as Newark's downtown has improved with a Dinosaur BBQ on Broad and Halsey Street getting more small businesses, good location to be near a improving downtown.

Upper Roseville (generally the area north of Bloomfield Ave and west of Branch Brook Park) - for very suburban living and with a car access to some nice towns and areas - the business district of Kearny to the more affluent downtown Rutherford to the east, to the north Montclair for excellent arts and restaurant offerings, and access to highways and roads to trains to NYC)

Forest Hills/Silver Lake - north of Park Ave and between Mt Prospect and Branch Brook Park. More old money mansions in the area though some are in various shapes due to the high expense of maintaining them. An area just begging for a little dose of money. Safe and one of the prettiest parts of Newark - some small areas are a little like the nice areas around prospect Park in Brooklyn except different architecture. Excellent public transportation.

Weequahic - southwestern area (south of Interstate 78!), as has been said south of Lyons with the best area being the blocks centered around Chancellor to the Hillside border and Beth Israel Hospital and south west of there. Extremely suburban and very much like neighboring Hillside EXCEPT the commercial strips are only beginning to match Hillside in good offerings. Some nice mom and pop businesses there though and great if you have a car. However, best to be secure with your car. Now north of 78 has some good suburban areas and definitely can look there but the closer you get to Springfield Ave the higher the crime.

Ivy Hill/Vailsburg - A bit of a cross housing stock wise between Weequahic and Forest Hills. As has been said near the South Orange border is best and good public transportation. Less commercial venues but as South Orange and the oranges are nearby as well as Maplewood there are some good offerings. Also, for quick big box retailers Springfield Ave offers a few closer by - a safe island during the day and early eve BUT surrounding area not too safe

Of the areas mentioned Weequahic and Ivy Hill/Vailsburg require the most research due to their location near some unsafe neighborhoods and towns.

Oh as for Mt Pleasant section and 7th Ave area (Lower Roseville) - Mt Pleasant is the safer area but tends not to be in great shape and next to Lower Roseville has highest crime in the north sections of Newark. I had a friend live there for years and he was fine - single guy with no car, so Mt Pleasant is OK for such a situation as long as you stay above Broadway. Lower Roseville, honestly, unless there is an excellent inexpensive place to eat or little shopping treasure here or there found you'd check out in the daytime I wouldn't - large Latin Kings gang presence all the way to Barringer High School/Sacred Heart Cathedral.

Central Ward -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey