Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Some kids just need sports for FITNESS, not competition.

The shame of the current status of youth sports is that the kids that need exercise are often driven out of sports because they "don't make the cut". That is why non-competitive programs are excellent for those kids...or for kids as described by the poster here..sounds like they don't have time to train their kid to be a top baseball player, but they'd like him to learn the sport and teamwork. Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with teamwork and learning the sport, but a little competition is good overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Right but the OP wants a once- or twice-a-week program. That is why I mentioned YMCA programs or other sports that are offered at non-competitive levels. Little League is not offering what they want in terms of the commitment being more than they wanted.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
Non-competitive sports, why even bother lol

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Well that is why there is so much childhood obesity! Kids either play at a super competitive level or not at all.

For the record, my kids play at the super competitive level, doing the sports that work for them. But...the ones that don't...sit on the couch playing video games. Not productive.

If the OP's child likes baseball, I'd make the Little League work. Only because it does offer a good range (Little League accepts all kids), the season is very short, and you could just tell the coach that the kid is only available for one practice...this is common below the Majors level (ie, Tball thru age 11ish). And btw, I think practices often end up not occurring as often once the games start due to field availability, weather, etc. Also, once you know people, you might be able to carpool.

Last edited by snuffybear; 03-30-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Well that is why there is so much childhood obesity! Kids either play at a super competitive level or not at all.

For the record, my kids play at the super competitive level, doing the sports that work for them. But...the ones that don't...sit on the couch playing video games. Not productive.

If the OP's child likes baseball, I'd make the Little League work. Only because it does offer a good range (Little League accepts all kids), the season is very short, and you could just tell the coach that the kid is only available for one practice...this is common below the Majors level (ie, Tball thru age 11ish). And btw, I think practices often end up not occurring as often once the games start due to field availability, weather, etc. Also, once you know people, you might be able to carpool.
what on earth are you saying? if your kids don't play at a super competitive level they don't play at all or are obese?!?

i need to tell my non-super competitive kids they are obese and they aren't productive. i wonder how telling my 5'1" son @ 70 lbs he needs to drop some weight will go over, LMAO! and his 5'8" 100 lb brother too! LOL (they both do some sports but not hyper competitive, btw).

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Check the stats on childhood obesity. I didn't say all kids that don't play sports are obese...but I did say they often sit on the couch playing video games (boys). Pretty sure there are stats on that, too.

The fact is, it is harder than it used to be to make sports teams. At the young ages, there are plenty of options through the YMCA and town recreation depts. But as the kids get toward middle/high school, there are fewer options for non-competitive sports.

I gave the OP some good suggestions and MY observations. But regarding the childhood obesity epidemic - I'd say the data says it's real, whether YOUR child is obese or not. I wasn't talking about YOUR kid specifically!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: