Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 AM

168 posts, read 300,191 times

Advertisements

Husband has a job offer in Seacaucus.

We are a family of 5 currently living in the mid-west. Our children will be in 6th grade next year so good public schools are very important. Also important is a reasonable commute to work for my husband.

A couple of questions:

1. Would Tenafly or Glen Ridge be reasonable to drive from to Seacaucus? Is one an easier commute than the other?

2. Are there other towns with very good school districts close to Seacaucus that we should consider?

Any thoughts, opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 72,905 times
very important question - is his new job walking distance from the new Secaucus train transfer station. If it is, you open a ton of excellent possibilities. Secaucus is not bad but there are many towns that are better. What else besides schools and commute is important?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM

667 posts, read 1,747,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post

We are a family of 5 currently living in the mid-west. Our children will be in 6th grade next year so good public schools are very important. Also important is a reasonable commute to work for my husband.

A couple of questions:

1. Would Tenafly or Glen Ridge be reasonable to drive from to Seacaucus? Is one an easier commute than the other?

2. Are there other towns with very good school districts close to Seacaucus that we should consider?

thanks.
1. Yes, both reasonable, but I would consider the Tenafly commute a bit less congested.

2. Depending on your budget, you can get within a reasonable :30 hour commute to Ramsey, Allendale, Wyckoff, Ridgewood, Glen Rock in Bergen.
If you have a more limited budget, tack in Fair Lawn and Rutherford.
Going toward Union County, Cranford, Westfield, Millburn, Madison are also great towns with great schools. All the towns mentioned offer a host of different options and many also offer a train line into Secaucus if need be.

Good luck in your search!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

bogonj135,

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is that his new job is not within walking distance from the Seacaucus train station. That is why I'm interested in towns that are reasonable driving distance to Seacaucus. I am not interested in living in Seacaucus, but want to learn about towns with great public schools that are driveable to Seacaucus.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM

lfsr1544,

Thanks for your reply.

Ramsey, Ridgewood and Milburn all are appealing to me. Are they really a 30 minute commute to Seacaus? Would that be by train or car?

If you are talking about a 30 minute commute by train, the problem is that his job is not within walking distance from the station. Are there cabs that he could catch from the station to work?
Hubby will work long hours -- not sure he would get off in time to catch the last express train -- which I read leaves at 6:30.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
lfsr1544,

Thanks for your reply.

Ramsey, Ridgewood and Milburn all are appealing to me. Are they really a 30 minute commute to Seacaus? Would that be by train or car?

If you are talking about a 30 minute commute by train, the problem is that his job is not within walking distance from the station. Are there cabs that he could catch from the station to work?
Hubby will work long hours -- not sure he would get off in time to catch the last express train -- which I read leaves at 6:30.

Yes to Ramsey and Ridgewood (I'm just not familiar with Millburn or what roads go there). However, depending upon the time of day he commutes, there will likely be traffic.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM

bogonj135,

Schools and commute time are the two most importants things for us.
However, I would like to find a family friendly, welcoming town. A community pool, good workout facility, restaurants, good grocery shopping would be an added plus.

I am transplanted Texas who has lived in the midwest for the past 13 years. Honestly, I am little nervous about the fast paced, East coast life style and hope to find a town that works for us.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM

667 posts, read 1,747,023 times
Quote:
lfsr1544,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm talking car. You will hit some traffic along the way but I work in the area and live in Glen Rock and :30 hour to Secaucus is not a problem. Once in a while you hit an accident or 2 that will slow you down a bit but getting to Secaucus in the towns mentioned is definitely doable. Ramsey might take another :10 minutes but it's the most affordable/value of the 3. RW is right next door to me. Great town, although the community pool is a bit of a let down. Many folks go to the local Y or use another town pool. Millburn to me, doesn't have the same type of charm as Ridgewood but their schools are top rated for the state. You won't get much for your money here in terms of real estate. 3

Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,460,743 times
Quote:

A couple of questions:

thanks.
To be able to give you truly useful information we need some further info from you. Please see this post on C/D to see what type of info is needed. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

The more specific info you provide will assist us in zeroing in on towns that fit your criteria. (ie: home prices, what you consider a reasonable commute time - though remember this is NJ, commutes of an hour or more are quite common.)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,672,587 times
Quote:
is his new job walking distance from the new Secaucus train transfer station
Little is within walking distance of the train station. A cab or shuttle would have to be used.

Quote:
Ramsey, Ridgewood and Milburn all are appealing to me. Are they really a 30 minute commute to Seacaus?
No, not really especially during normal peak traffic times. To be realistic, I'd figure 45 minutes at a minimum from those Bergen county locations. Millburn requires a trip through the Turnpike toll booth. That alone in the morning can take ten minutes or so. Ridgewood or Ramsey has the traffic on Route 17 which has a few traffic lights. You alos have to figure the cost of gas on those trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey