Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times

Advertisements

Question for you captain. Let's say you attack someone. And they fight back and starting punching. You are now losing the fight. Do you have a right to shoot that person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Question for you captain. Let's say you attack someone. And they fight back and starting punching. You are now losing the fight. Do you have a right to shoot that person?

is it a fight that is started with mutual agreement or is it an unwarranted attack? if i attacked someone, they have the right to shoot me but i dont have the right to shoot them. im the one guilty of a felony, they are the one defending themselves.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I feel you on that, but depends how it all came about. My brother recently got attacked by 3 dudes for no reason who knocked him out and broke his face, bones and erything. His jaw was only hanging by the skin. I wish he had a gat and zimmerman'em.
im glad that you see that even without weapons a fight can have very dangerous consequences. i understand that the vast majority of fights dont end in death, but i cant risk my life in the hopes that the person attacking me wont kill me. im also not willing to get involved in a fist fight just because some person wishes to. like i said already, someone attacking me has no right to a fair fight. if i have a gun, they will be shot.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im glad that you see that even without weapons a fight can have very dangerous consequences. i understand that the vast majority of fights dont end in death, but i cant risk my life in the hopes that the person attacking me wont kill me. im also not willing to get involved in a fist fight just because some person wishes to. like i said already, someone attacking me has no right to a fair fight. if i have a gun, they will be shot.
Yea, I know what you saying. Why you gotta risk a serious injury or death jus cuz someone wanna fight. But also it's like, say, you talk some shi*, instigate, ya know, and some dude in a bar punches you in the face, just once, he shouldn't get shot in that case.

Btw, you people think this country has injustice? What I said about my brother earlier-some thug neighbor affiliated with police organized and paid for that attack cuz apparently he didn't like the fact the music was loud on the weekends. Since he is untouchable, now nothing can be done, except physical retaliation and then prolly getting killed by his people. Police not gon do anything.
Despite all the problems and bs, be glad yall in America.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 04-12-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times
Quote:
thats exactly how i feel when someone is physically attacking me for no reason. i think its fair to assume he is trying to kill you. i like how we are supposed to know the person's age, school they go to, whether or not they are armed and what they might do if they knock you unconscious in this event that they start punching you.
Ok, so now you are implying that Zimmerman was attacked for no reason.

Quote:
i see you are a propagandist.
You have posted misinformation all over this thread, as well as the typical CaptainNJ rhetoric. I'm sorry. I know you find a lot of entertainment in trolling, and sometimes even I laugh at your posts, but you are probably the biggest propagandist on this entire forum. If City-Data has a Most Propagandist Poster Contest, you'll be winning $5,000.

I have posted opinions of course, as well as suppositions. Why else is this thread here? It's an informal debate. But I have also posted facts. What facts have you posted?

And some of your remarks are unbelievable. There's no law saying neighborhood watch volunteers can't follow people around and question them, so people should be allowed to do it? No, there's no law saying that neighborhood watch can't follow/question people. However, like I said, the neighborhood watch program has explicit guidelines about not doing that. Why? Because any Tom, Dick or Harriet can volunteer to be a neighborhood watch volunteer. Any Tom, Dick or Harriet with no formal training or professional law enforcement experience, and therefore, when they engage total strangers in a confrontational manner, things can go awry. A neighborhood watch person, who is basically any knucklehead off the street, has no authority to demand that a person identify himself or to interrogate him. None whatsoever. So there would be no reason to follow another person, unless it's to harass them.

Quote:
i notice you mention zimmerman's charges but not convictions.
Um, you posted that you weren't aware that Zimmerman had a history of attacking people. So I posted a history of him attacking people. I didn't know you wanted a list of convictions. All I was saying is that he has a history of being accused of (and charged with) violence.

Quote:
i notice you interpret the law according to your own opinions and expect people to believe you are speaking factually. i dont think so.
Lol. I don't 'expect' a damn thing from anyone on this forum.

Quote:
the best way to prove where the law would stand in a self defense case when one person is shot while punching another would be show past cases. because i dont agree with your opinion, which is all you gave.
Really? That's the best way? The best? According to whom? Before we even get to that stage, I think we first need to know whether or not Zimmerman's story about Martin following him back to his car and initiating a fight is true.

There is a serious flaw in the Stand Your Ground law if someone can make any story up, or simply claim that they perceived a threat of death (and this is absurd, as 10 different people in the same situation will have 10 different perceptions), claim self defense, and than it's up to the prosecution to prove that what you say didn't happen. The defense doesn't have to prove that it did happen. The prosecution has to prove that it didn't.

That seems ass backwards to me. And yes, that is just my opinion.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM

68 posts, read 226,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
and this zimmerman looked like he was alot bigger than treyvon.
i'm not taking sides in this, but i believe most of the pictures circulated of trayvon martin are from several years ago.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Yea, I know what you saying. Why you gotta risk a serious injury or death jus cuz someone wanna fight. But also it's like, say, you talk some shi*, instigate, ya know, and some dude in a bar punches you in the face, just once, he shouldn't get shot in that case.

Btw, you people think this country has injustice? What I said about my brother earlier-some thug neighbor affiliated with police organized and paid for that attack cuz apparently he didn't like the fact the music was loud on the weekends. Since he is untouchable, now nothing can be done, except physical retaliation and then prolly getting killed by his people. Police not gon do anything.
Despite all the problems and bs, be glad yall in America.
words mean nothing to me. anyone can say whatever they want to me and until i feel physically threatened i couldnt care less. the same should go the other way, nothing i say to someone can justify them punching me in the face. once they attack me, they should be shot.

there are definitely instances in this country (and anywhere else im sure) that justice isnt properly served. i dont think anyone will disagree with that.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times
well from the sounds of it zimmerman was instigating. he was told by the 911 caller to stop following him,let the police handle it. treyvon was doing nothing but walking and talking on the phone to his girlfriend,how does a person wearing a hoodie look suspicious all of a sudden.
lets just all take a step back and think about this.IF it was our 17 year old son just walking ok even if he did start the fight punching and he was shot wouldn't you still want justice would you really not fight for your dead child no matter what? would you admit that your son was a trouble maker and deserved it? no i think not.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
IF it was our 17 year old son just walking ok even if he did start the fight punching and he was shot wouldn't you still want justice would you really not fight for your dead child no matter what? would you admit that your son was a trouble maker and deserved it? no i think not.
i would never want anyone to shoot my son no matter what he did. but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be justified.

you cant simply think of this along the lines of what you think is right or wrong. if you want zimmerman convicted, you would need to think of the law. does the law allow you to physically attack someone who is following you?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times
Quote:
i would never want anyone to shoot my son no matter what he did. but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be justified.

you cant simply think of this along the lines of what you think is right or wrong. if you want zimmerman convicted, you would need to think of the law. does the law allow you to physically attack someone who is following you?
maybe what happened was treyvon was on the phone with his girlfriend minding his own business and zimmerman walked up on him and scared him from behind and a normal reaction would be to turn around and protect yourself and zimmerman took it as treyvon attacking him. Zimmerman being the man he is with a gun all powerfull and all thought this person would not fight back but he did. unfortunatly the only witness is dead and he cant speak for himself so zimmerman will go on a long trial and get set free for something he instigated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey