Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times

Advertisements

Guys, come on! the girl said she is moving to Hoboken, end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
If you can afford $1200 or a little more in rent, you don't need to live in Newark.

As others have mentioned, consider a roommate or 2 and you might find a way to make it in Hoboken, etc....
Avoid Newark.

I'd recommend Montclair or Jersey City to you. You won't make $1200 work in Hoboken on your own. Prices have become literally insane as of recently.

If you want to be close to Seton Hall, there is always South Orange. I hear that's pretty livable aside a few bad areas.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
I like how this chick anointed herself pretty in the title of this thread.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Or young

Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
So there are plenty of pretty women in Newark which is nice. But how many of them have street smarts? How many grew up in Newark or the area?

I'm sorry, but a young woman from south Jersey or BFE doesn't have the savvy. Everything about her is going to scream "not from here".

I raised my children in Rhode Island. Came back one weekend with just my younger son who was then around 13. We took the train down (for the experience) and then the PATH into Harrison where my sister met us. I wanted to give him some time seeing Manhattan, so we left Penn Station and went to the streets. My son who appeared street smart in Providence couldn't follow me through Penn Station because he kept stopping to let people cross in front of him rather than walking straight where he needed to go.

Then when we headed into the Path Station, he stopped completely - aghast at who/what was selling whatever right in the tunnel entrance. LOL The poor kid was overwhelmed. My son is now 41 and we still laugh about that day. I made it a point to drag him often to the city after that.

Harsh for the wrong reason. It's not that she's young and pretty, or that there are other young and perhaps even prettier women in Newark; it's that she's not street smart.
Of couse,it doesn't say which part of south Jersey she is from.
Heck,she could be from Camden or Trenton. I am from Newark and moved to south jersey,Burlington to be exact. Their isn't really much of a difference,except people in south jersey are less friendly and more on the go Imo. I could see if she was from Alabama,but we are talking intrastate here.

There are plenty of people who live in Newark who aren't street smart. I wasn't.
But common SENSE kicked in. I knew that I couldn't hang out past a certain time and not go down dark streets.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I'm also just telling her to check out the classifieds,because she won't be making that much as a new Lpn.
What makes her think that there will be a big jump in hourly wage because one moves within the same state.
I never heard of an Lpn making $30/hr,except agency working for the nursing homes and hospitals.
I don't even make that much as an Rn. I was offered $27.00/hr,and I'm not even a new grad.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Less friendly in South Jersey? There more friendly in South Jersey and Philly......

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Less friendly in South Jersey? There more friendly in South Jersey and Philly......
South Jersey I'm not sure. But Philly? I don't know man, going there for business always meant having to say I was from NJ (no prob w/ that), but the cringing faces smart-assedness was by far and wide worse than anything I've had to deal w/ in NY (hell, I think I've got worse from Philly than anywhere I've ever been to be honest). I would like to think all of Philly isn't like that, but every time I was there and 'NJ' came up there always seemed to be an issue.

And I couldn't even talk sports with them; they're waaaaay too enveloped in what I would call 'misguided passion'.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Hammonton, NJ half way between Philly and Atlantic City
17 posts, read 30,085 times
Listen you. Stop watching Television and movies that glorify New York City. Ahh, to be young and free in NYC.....oh it's such a romaticized facade. New York and North Jersey suck. It's overcrowded and over priced. New York is a fake city full of phony, snobby socialites. Don't think you are going to be wisked away in some fairy tale dream of riches and beautiful people. You don't belong there, and you aren't rich/famous so you'll be hanging out in Brooklyn with the rocks. Your Sex in the City dreams will never come to fruition.

The grass isn't greener on the other side. Philly is the best. Philly has the best heroin in the United States and the best open air drug markets. What are you worried about concerning crime??? Philly is more dangerous than New York and Camden is more deadly than Newark. So you should do just fine up there.

And please stop the "I'm just some poor rube from South Jersey" gimmick. South Jersey isn't Idaho for God's sakes. Yeah there is more people in the NYC metro area, but South Jersey is pretty friggin urban. Yeah the extreme Southern part of Jersey is rural as hell but so is the NW part. South Jersey has Camden, Atlantic City, Vineland, Millville, Pleasantville, Bridgeton..........plenty of places where all that "urban" stuff goes down......So North Jersey isn't some big change. HEY ZUES it's a thirty minute to two hour drive away.

Once you turn your back on Philly/South Jersey you will not be allowed back unless you pay a fine.........

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
look at journal sq or paterson, its just about as cheap and safer and lot of other pretty girls there so wont be as much as a stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey