Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM

155 posts, read 372,164 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

Just curious about what the real deal is with Asbury Park. We are heading up there in September for a music festival and can't get a handle on the "safe-ness" of the area.

You see a news story this week about trying to ban bathing suits on the boardwalk to maintain the "classy" image, but then I can find statistics suggesting the crime rate there like the 1000% the rest of NJ.

I've never been there and was just curious on what I'm getting myself into. The concerts are at the Convention Center and Paramount.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Its safe East of the tracks which is most of the City....West of the tracks has issues , but not as bad as it used to years ago.... The Bathing suite ban is just absurd , but i think there trying to keep it peaceful and not let Asbury park turn into a Seaside Heights....or Atlantic City...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
Hey all.

Just curious about what the real deal is with Asbury Park. We are heading up there in September for a music festival and can't get a handle on the "safe-ness" of the area.

You see a news story this week about trying to ban bathing suits on the boardwalk to maintain the "classy" image, but then I can find statistics suggesting the crime rate there like the 1000% the rest of NJ.

I've never been there and was just curious on what I'm getting myself into. The concerts are at the Convention Center and Paramount.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
There's still a bad area of Asbury Park. You would KNOW by looking at your surroundings when you are in it. Just stay out of that area. A lot of the city has been redeveloped. The places where you are likely to be going are fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Kinda like AC... some unsavory characters walking around here and there, and there are "bad" parts, but you'll know when you see them.
Where ever they have the festival, it'll probably be in a safe part.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
We go there all the time. Boardwalk area, downtown, etc. You have to pay to park within about 3 blocks of the ocean, they have these electronic pay stations where you enter your parking space number. Sometimes some of the private lots are unattended or you can park a few blocks down in the free areas which start about 3 blocks away.

There are always music & concerts going on, usually no problems involved. A number of people get together in a drum circle group on the boardwalk twice a week about a block away from where you are going. Tourist area, your basic choice is where to park.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
The bathing suit issue is probably some bigoted reactionary politician who has a problem 'cause AP has a few areas that are tolerant and friendly to the gay and lesbian community. It's 2012....this bigot needs to get over herself. What would Jesus do?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
AP is safer now and more lively than it's been in years....it's back!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM

327 posts, read 1,051,033 times
...What Nexis said

I love Asbury Park! IMO I think its the best beach city in NJ. I wouldnt waste my time with any other beach. The downtown is very clean and has a ton of trendy shops and resturants. The boardwalk isnt filled with gaudy overpriced eateries and games like other beach towns. Its boardwalk has class when compared to places like Seaside and Point Pleasant. You will be pleasantly surprised when you arrive. Just try to stay around downtown and the boardwalk.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its safe East of the tracks which is most of the City....West of the tracks has issues , but not as bad as it used to years ago.... The Bathing suite ban is just absurd , but i think there trying to keep it peaceful and not let Asbury park turn into a Seaside Heights....or Atlantic City...
Over simplification.

Yes avoid anything west of Memorial drive or the train tracks but also avoid the streets of Monroe, Sewall and even Bangs Ave east of the train station. This only becomes an issue when people are trying to find parking near the south end of AP, near Cookman and Lake Ave. They just go over a block or two and things can get a little sketchy, especially after dark. Oh and REALLY avoid the area around Asbury Ave and Grand Ave, it looks beautiful, nice old homes but there are a bunch of kids who hang out in the park there and they can be annoying.

If the OPs show is down near the beach just stay east of Kingsley. If it is near Cookman, park closer to Wesley Lake. Most everything North of Sunset Park is fine.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM

155 posts, read 372,164 times
Thanks for all the responses! The show is a festival and I guess there are some at Paramount Theater and some at the convention Center.

We rented a vacation rental basically at Deal Lake Drive and Park Ave. I was concerned about walking from there to the shows, but we are North of Sunset Park. Hopefully we are cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey