Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,472,228 times

Advertisements

Plant sharp objects like nails in front of their tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,989 times
Yes, it is a public street, but it's just as public in front of their own house too! We are both on corners, they have plenty of parking but park in front of my house. the next door neighbors do the same thing! I have driveway & garage on other side. i know this is a luxury and do not like to complain. but i don't understand why neighbors with plenty of public space in front of their own insist on using that in front of mine.??? another post gave me an idea, i could go to the neighbs & tell them i'm expecting company whenever it bothers me, whether or not company is actually expected. actually if they figure out i'm making it up, maybe the slow gears of their minds will begin to function and they will consider their annoying habit. probably not, but it's worth a try.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,037 times
I am going through the exact same thing on my street. I purchased my very first home in March of last year. It's a townhome, which I am learning is very, VERY different from a single family property. So, as of New Years Eve of 2011, the owner of the townhome connected to mine moved in his new renters. I woke up at 8 am on New Years Eve to a TX Department of Transportation vehicle parked on the public city street (yes, I know it's public). This person parked center to the walkway to my front door. I returned home at almost 11:00 pm on New Years Eve, also expecting guests following behind me. I parked in my garage (which the new renters had blocked with their UHaul), went out my front door and greeted the Mrs. of the couple who just moved in. I introduced myself, welcomed her/them to the neighborhood and then asked if she knew whos State/City vehicle this was. She kindly replied with a "hi", her name and that the vehicle was her husband's and that they were working on moving it. (Really, what? What's so difficult about sticking the key in the ignition, putting the car in drive, and parking infront of your own home????) So, I asked her if she would mind atleast pulling forward, to clear my front spot for my guests, and park more infront of their home)...In the end, she said she'd move the vehicle and then did not, the car went overnight infront of my home. So, long story short, I sent an email to the homeowner's realtor who handles all affairs concerning the rental of his townhome. I stated that I knew they were just settling in, and that I have no legal rights to any part of the street my home is on. I stated that I just thought it was rude and un-neighborly to have their vehicle overflow infringe on my space and asked if they could park in their garage so as to avoid all this nonsense. So, I gave it 12 days. In that time, my neighbors moved their city vehicle into their 2-Car garage, and have used the spot infront of their home and mine to park their two other vehicles (a large truck and then a mercedes infront of my home). On day 16 I escalated what'd been going on and this is where it got soo pretty!!!!! My neighbors proceeded to tell their realtor (who then communicated to me) that I had a guest park infront of their home, that when the Mrs. of this lovely couple knocked on my door and asked me to move my guests vehicle that was parked infront of MY home (I kindly told her no and that I appreciate her request) that I attempted to scare her with my dog (my 6 lb chihuahua)????....In addition to all their inaccuracies and blatant lies, the Mr. of this lovely couple said that he will be calling the city police department about this attempted scare...The HOA will not get involved as they have created no policies with respect to parking in my community. The husband agreed to the realtor's suggestion of a gentlemen's agreement where we actually place white markers at our property line and that we do not cross into eachother's space. Today, the wife weighed in and say that they do not agree to this (of course she doesn't, it would incapacitate her ability to park infront of my home!!!) and that they will follow the HOA guidelines of NO Guidelines!!! (Easy to stand behind law or policy that's razor thin if that)...So, in the spirit of all this nonsense, my only point was neighborly nice nice and respect and courtsey...They chose to hide behind an HOA policy that just doesn't exist....Anyone with anythoughts on this? I am tired of going back and forth with them and trying to have them realize that it's a courtesy issue, not a legal or policy issue...We are definitely at an impass! Anyone with any thoughts?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,054,626 times
Maybe buy a car for $300 and just park it legally wherever that truck parks the next time it is out and about? I would then leave the car there indefinitely.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,576,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaneckgirl View Post
I need to vent as well as get someone opinion on this issue. I purchased my first home a few months ago in Teaneck. My neighbors have all been very nice and extremely accomodating. My issue is that very recently my neighbors purchased a car for their son, so now they have a total of 3 cars. They can fit up to 3 or maybe 4 cars in their driveway. What I do not understand is why the mom parks in the driveway, the dad in front of their house and the son in front of mine!! Why can't they park in their driveway or park their 2 other cars in front of their home which clearly fit. Am I overreacting? I mean, if I knew that there was not enough space I wouldn't make an issue of it and I know that the streets are public property, but I just don't understand why on a daily basis, the son has to park in front of my house.
Get over it. Not really a big deal, like you said it is public property. I grew up at the shore and in the summer there were different cars parked in front of the house almost everyday, nothing to really get worked up about.

My wife gets upset when neighbors have a party and friends park in front of the house. I always tell her its no big deal and not to get worked up about it.

It annoys me more when someone parks behind my driveway. We used to live in inner ring suburbs of Jacksonville FL and the streets were very thin. If my neighbor parked behind the driveway it was difficult to back into the street... My 90 year old neighbor backed his caddilac into her honda one time.

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-19-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypaljordy972 View Post

It's a townhome, which I am learning is very, VERY different from a single family property.

I woke up at 8 am on New Years Eve to a TX Department of Transportation vehicle parked on the public city street (yes, I know it's public).

So, long story short, I sent an email to the homeowner's realtor who handles all affairs concerning the rental of his townhome.

They chose to hide behind an HOA policy that just doesn't exist....Anyone with anythoughts on this?
It's a municipal street. Anyone can park anywhere so long as they comply with municipal regulations. There is a reason why this HOA does not have a policy regarding parking on municipal streets. The HOA is not responsible for and has no authority over parking on municipal streets. Your neighbor's real estate agent cannot control parking on municipal streets.

The only thing we absolutely control in this world is our own reaction. The more we try to control other people, the less we tend to control our own reactions.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypaljordy972 View Post
I am going through the exact same thing on my street. I purchased my very first home in March of last year. It's a townhome, which I am learning is very, VERY different from a single family property. So, as of New Years Eve of 2011, the owner of the townhome connected to mine moved in his new renters. I woke up at 8 am on New Years Eve to a TX Department of Transportation vehicle parked on the public city street (yes, I know it's public). This person parked center to the walkway to my front door. I returned home at almost 11:00 pm on New Years Eve, also expecting guests following behind me. I parked in my garage (which the new renters had blocked with their UHaul), went out my front door and greeted the Mrs. of the couple who just moved in. I introduced myself, welcomed her/them to the neighborhood and then asked if she knew whos State/City vehicle this was. She kindly replied with a "hi", her name and that the vehicle was her husband's and that they were working on moving it. (Really, what? What's so difficult about sticking the key in the ignition, putting the car in drive, and parking infront of your own home????) So, I asked her if she would mind atleast pulling forward, to clear my front spot for my guests, and park more infront of their home)...In the end, she said she'd move the vehicle and then did not, the car went overnight infront of my home. So, long story short, I sent an email to the homeowner's realtor who handles all affairs concerning the rental of his townhome. I stated that I knew they were just settling in, and that I have no legal rights to any part of the street my home is on. I stated that I just thought it was rude and un-neighborly to have their vehicle overflow infringe on my space and asked if they could park in their garage so as to avoid all this nonsense. So, I gave it 12 days. In that time, my neighbors moved their city vehicle into their 2-Car garage, and have used the spot infront of their home and mine to park their two other vehicles (a large truck and then a mercedes infront of my home). On day 16 I escalated what'd been going on and this is where it got soo pretty!!!!! My neighbors proceeded to tell their realtor (who then communicated to me) that I had a guest park infront of their home, that when the Mrs. of this lovely couple knocked on my door and asked me to move my guests vehicle that was parked infront of MY home (I kindly told her no and that I appreciate her request) that I attempted to scare her with my dog (my 6 lb chihuahua)????....In addition to all their inaccuracies and blatant lies, the Mr. of this lovely couple said that he will be calling the city police department about this attempted scare...The HOA will not get involved as they have created no policies with respect to parking in my community. The husband agreed to the realtor's suggestion of a gentlemen's agreement where we actually place white markers at our property line and that we do not cross into eachother's space. Today, the wife weighed in and say that they do not agree to this (of course she doesn't, it would incapacitate her ability to park infront of my home!!!) and that they will follow the HOA guidelines of NO Guidelines!!! (Easy to stand behind law or policy that's razor thin if that)...So, in the spirit of all this nonsense, my only point was neighborly nice nice and respect and courtsey...They chose to hide behind an HOA policy that just doesn't exist....Anyone with anythoughts on this? I am tired of going back and forth with them and trying to have them realize that it's a courtesy issue, not a legal or policy issue...We are definitely at an impass! Anyone with any thoughts?
Don't buy a townhome?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but that is one of the pitfalls of townhome living. We looked at a few new construction townhomes, and the first thing we thought about was where would our guests park? We drove through one we were considering last year, as predicted, there were cars parked EVERYWHERE. You couldnt see the curb ANYWHERE in the development.

Buyer beware.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Don't buy a townhome?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but that is one of the pitfalls of townhome living. We looked at a few new construction townhomes, and the first thing we thought about was where would our guests park? We drove through one we were considering last year, as predicted, there were cars parked EVERYWHERE. You couldnt see the curb ANYWHERE in the development.

Buyer beware.
My condo complex has a parking lot. There's one numbered, assigned spot for every unit, and then there are unnumbered spots for guests. That was a good idea to drive through and notice that, though. Most townhouse complexes I know of have parking lots.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,797 times
Your all dumb. I park where i want and when i want. Is there a handicap spot in front of your house? No. So shut up. Complain about something worth it.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Do you share a wall with these people? If so, I would definitely stop arguing about this. Park your car in the spot that they keep putting theirs in and leave it there until they get used to bothering someone else. Or park your car in front of THEIR door so they no longer have a free spot in front of their house. But I wouldn't escalate this because it can get very ugly, very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey