Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
If that's the case then why don't we all move to Texas? This place is getting too ridiculous in terms of cost. And we don't even have good weather year round?

(Waiting for Nexis to chime in about how great the weather and public transit is year round.)
Texas? Blah. As a native southerner, I prefer the weather here (though it's still too hot in summer for my taste). I'd probably move to northern New England if there were jobs.

Quote:
It's a piece of crap, and a waste of tax payer money. How do you justify the 15 lane off ramp? Have you seen it on google maps? It's bigger than the city of hoboken.

Train lines were being efficiently transferred at Newark Penn for years. I blame Union propaganda.
Only three of the seven NY/Hoboken-bound lines pass through Newark Penn. Passengers were not efficiently transferred between all lines. And I have my share of stories about trying to get from New Brunswick to Morristown pre-Secaucus (you'll find a few if you search the forum archive). I'll agree that the station seems larger/grander and way more expensive than it needed to be, but it does have utility.

I only count two lanes in each direction (4 lanes total) on the ramp and 8 toll gates (presumably 4 in each direction?). Where are the other 11 lanes? My only question regarding the ramp is why is it so long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
It's a piece of crap, and a waste of tax payer money.
Then you truly don't know the history of the station as it was Allied that paid a significant portion of the cost. As ridership is increasing monthly your "waste of money" comment is idiotic.

Quote:
If that's the case then why don't we all move to Texas? public transit

Go right ahead. As it's turning into a dust bowl, I don't see it as the paradise you make it out to be. Ranked higher for their murder rate by almost fifty percent. Their overall crime rate was significantly higher. But they make it up by having a significantly ,lower per capita income below the national average. Public transit is non-existent in Texas. That's why they put 23 in a pickup truck.

Quote:
How do you justify the 15 lane off ramp?
Odd because when I drive down there all I see are two lanes. In fact any of the mapping sites clearly show this. Lanes that were built to service not only the station but the extensive residential development and industrial complex.

But don't let facts cloud your obviously sub grade school level of intelligence. As you are of limited intelligence, I'm guessing you are one of those people who think any progress is simply less entitlements in your pocket.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Then you truly don't know the history of the station as it was Allied that paid a significant portion of the cost. As ridership is increasing monthly your "waste of money" comment is idiotic.

Go right ahead. As it's turning into a dust bowl, I don't see it as the paradise you make it out to be. Ranked higher for their murder rate by almost fifty percent. Their overall crime rate was significantly higher. But they make it up by having a significantly ,lower per capita income below the national average. Public transit is non-existent in Texas. That's why they put 23 in a pickup truck.

Odd because when I drive down there all I see are two lanes. In fact any of the mapping sites clearly show this. Lanes that were built to service not only the station but the extensive residential development and industrial complex.

But don't let facts cloud your obviously sub grade school level of intelligence. As you are of limited intelligence, I'm guessing you are one of those people who think any progress is simply less entitlements in your pocket.
Public Transit is beyond retarded in NJ/NYC. It's overpriced, the schedules are crap on the weekends and off peak, and little room for improvement or expansion (it's all "TOO EXPENSIVE" to improve.)

It's only natural that people in NJ think that texas is a giant dust bowl. Really? That's what you think? Your intelligence is noted (essentially none.)

Last edited by Freshflakes757; 07-25-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I thought so. I only parked there once (about 2 years ago) and didn't think I paid more than $10 or $11 for the day.
I think the first time I went it was $7. I thought, "Wow, not bad!" The next time it was $10. The next time it was $12. The next time it was $14.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the first time I went it was $7. I thought, "Wow, not bad!" The next time it was $10. The next time it was $12. The next time it was $14.
Yep. I think it increased from $12 to $15 in the three months I was using it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It was built to give the people on the Diesel Network and better access to NYC via the Electric Network....its not the only Transfer station NJT has.... there's also Newark Broad Street , Trenton Transit Center , Newark Penn Station , Newark Airport Station (Not fully built out) , Hoboken Terminal & Summit....with Future Transfer stations in Atlantic City Transit Center, Pennsuaken Transfer , West Trenton Transit Center, Bound Brook Transit Center, Watesseeing Ave (Bloomfield) , Kearny Central , Paterson Transit Center and Hawthrone Transit Center
Whats the plans for Newark Airport Station?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Public Transit is beyond retarded in NJ/NYC. It's overpriced, the schedules are crap on the weekends and off peak, and little room for improvement or expansion (it's all "TOO EXPENSIVE" to improve.)

It's only natural that people in NJ think that texas is a giant dust bowl. Really? That's what you think? Your intelligence is noted (essentially none.)
I disagree. I ride the train almost daily so I made it a point to live near a train station. The fact that I can get from Princeton Jnc to Wall St. in an hour is amazing. The train comes every 10 to 15 minutes during peak and every half hour offpeak on weekdays. It comes every hour on weekends.

Parking is only $40/month or $5 for daily parking. The monthly passes are less than what I'd pay in gasoline and parking if I drove.

Given how far I live from my destination, I'm very happy with how fast I can get there and back. The trains are so frequent that I don't have to worry about looking at the schedules.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Over 1,000 spaces according to the website. And yes, if you're using it every day, it would be very expensive indeed (although it may still be cheaper than NYC parking, tolls and wasted gas in traffic, IDK). If you live farther out, it seems like it would be a better idea to park at a station farther up the line and then transfer at Secaucus to a NY-bound train!

1000 spaces is not a lot.

I went to Montclair State and they opened up a 1500+ parking space garage a couple years ago. This is one of 3 parking decks on campus (along with a ton of regular parking). 1000 spaces is really not all that big. Secaucus, being one of the major connections to NYC, should have a garage that dwarfs the one at MSU. And it should cost like $8 a day to park there, with discounts if you are getting a monthly or yearly pass

Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
1000 spaces is not a lot.

I went to Montclair State and they opened up a 1500+ parking space garage a couple years ago. This is one of 3 parking decks on campus (along with a ton of regular parking). 1000 spaces is really not all that big. Secaucus, being one of the major connections to NYC, should have a garage that dwarfs the one at MSU. And it should cost like $8 a day to park there, with discounts if you are getting a monthly or yearly pass
But MSU is the end of that line and certainly serves other surrounding communities without rail service. Secaucus is surrounded by towns with train lines, bus lines, and shuttles to NY. Plus, I'd assume NJ Transit is worried about cannibalizing ridership on lines that feed into Secaucus if parking is cheap and easy there. Also, too cheap and it'll turn into an overflow lot for Giants games - maybe it already does.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM

204 posts, read 635,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yep. I think it increased from $12 to $15 in the three months I was using it.
That's why I drive to Journal Square to take the Path. Parking is $160 a month, extra 5 minutes driving, after parking, it takes me 5 minutes to the Path station and 20 minutes to get to the city. I live in Secaucus, it takes me hour and 30 minutes using the train station and one hour using the Path door to door.

Cheaper and faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey