Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Moral of story: Never urinate in Newark.
Got any change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM

204 posts, read 635,132 times
Let me clarify

Going to secaucus station already takes 10 to 15 minutes but walking to station negate that advantage. Driving to JSq takes 20 minutes so about 5 to 10 minutes extra driving but walking across to path station is alot faster and the path is faster also. And combo of train and parking is significantly more expensive than parking and path at jsq.

The shuttle only runs at certain times so that doesn't work. Bus is way too far from my home to walk since it would be 20 to 25 minutes just going to the bus station.

Yes there are times I wish I don't have to drive to JSq but that's only for 5 percent of times

Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
Let me clarify

Going to secaucus station already takes 10 to 15 minutes but walking to station negate that advantage. Driving to JSq takes 20 minutes so about 5 to 10 minutes extra driving but walking across to path station is alot faster and the path is faster also. And combo of train and parking is significantly more expensive than parking and path at jsq.
This really depends on whether you live North or South of Secaucus junction. North of it, you should definitely use it because 15-20 mins will be shaved off from going to JSQ (without traffic). South of it, you may as well go to JSQ because the parking in Secaucus is a liability. I experimented by parking at Secaucus one day for work, and it cost TWENTY THREE bucks. That's not expensive, thats an arm and a leg. Especially when I can park for $9.50 ALL DAY at the N. Bergen park ride and ROUND TRIP bus fare INCLUDED!

In addition, nobody answered the question: whats with the insanely long exit ramp that extends about a mile in swampland and then hairpins back to the tpke. If this area is indeed protected swampland, why the hell would the Tpke. Authority want to extend unnecessarily FAR into it?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
This really depends on whether you live North or South of Secaucus junction. North of it, you should definitely use it because it will shave off about 15-20 mins from going to JSQ (without traffic). South of it, you may as well go to JSQ because the parking in Secaucus is a liability. I experimented by parking at Secaucus one day for work, and it cost TWENTY THREE bucks. That's not expensive, thats an arm and a leg. Especially when I can park for $9.50 ALL DAY at the N. Bergen park ride and ROUND TRIP bus fare INCLUDED!

In addition, nobody answered the question: whats with the insanely long exit ramp that extends about a mile in swampland and then hairpins back to the tpke. If this area is indeed protected swampland, why the hell would the want to extend unnecessarily FAR into it?
I answered it five times already it was to relive the Truck Congestion at Exit 16-17 and reroute truck traffic away from the residential areas by giving them direct highway access. However with the Industry dying in Secaucus , Exit 15X traffic has started decreasing.... Companies are moving to Newark.... However developments are filling there place...so the need will still be there. Just not alot of Trucks...mostly cars and buses...the same is happening Kearny. As businesses move to Newark , those areas are being developed into Dense residential space.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
I answered it five times already it was to relive the Truck Congestion at Exit 16-17
Since the days of the first warehouse, the only way in was either Meadowland Parkway or County Ave. They always needed a entrance from the TP but the availability of the property to build it was always an issue. Exit 15X killed two birds with one interchange. Direct access to Secaucus Road would have been much better but building it would have been difficult and much more costly.

Plus from day one it was always designed to service the Allied Junction project and not primarily the industrial area. It does aid those in Harmon Cove using the TP as Route 3 is always backed up rush hour.

Another issue is that the Seaview Drive bridge is in need of either replacement or major repair at the expense of the town which took it over years ago from Hartz Mountain.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
This really depends on whether you live North or South of Secaucus junction. North of it, you should definitely use it because 15-20 mins will be shaved off from going to JSQ (without traffic). South of it, you may as well go to JSQ because the parking in Secaucus is a liability. I experimented by parking at Secaucus one day for work, and it cost TWENTY THREE bucks. That's not expensive, thats an arm and a leg. Especially when I can park for $9.50 ALL DAY at the N. Bergen park ride and ROUND TRIP bus fare INCLUDED!

In addition, nobody answered the question: whats with the insanely long exit ramp that extends about a mile in swampland and then hairpins back to the tpke. If this area is indeed protected swampland, why the hell would the Tpke. Authority want to extend unnecessarily FAR into it?
Total time to JSQ from north end is 20 minutes without traffic, that's where I live. Yes, it is an arm and a leg considering i don't even need metro using Path going into the city. So for me its either shuttle/walk (20+ minutes) + bus + metro or parking + train + metro or parking + path. Just parking + train at the junction is already more than parking + path at journal square.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Total time to JSQ from north end is 20 minutes without traffic
Without traffic !!!!!!

Unheard of.... Years working the night tour it took 15 minutes to the county jail. The upside was that we could swing through the White Castle. If we liked the prisoner we sent him in with a sack of burgers.

Unfortunately the only time in all those years that i never saw traffic on the road was the night of 9/11 making runs of supplies into the city. It was a eerie sight to drive from Secaucus to the Holland Tunnel and not see a car the entire way. I'd rather have traffic.

Living in the north end at times it can take longer to just get to the Plaza than to the train station. Yet as a creature of habit, I never use the Maple Street ramp with the traffic signal and alway fight getting out of Fairview. You think after all this time I'd learn.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
It was full when I went at 1pm last Wednesday...completely...ended up cancelling my trip.
Wow. I guess it did get popular, also evidenced as mentioned by the rising prices.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Without traffic !!!!!!

Unheard of.... Years working the night tour it took 15 minutes to the county jail. The upside was that we could swing through the White Castle. If we liked the prisoner we sent him in with a sack of burgers.

Unfortunately the only time in all those years that i never saw traffic on the road was the night of 9/11 making runs of supplies into the city. It was a eerie sight to drive from Secaucus to the Holland Tunnel and not see a car the entire way. I'd rather have traffic.

Living in the north end at times it can take longer to just get to the Plaza than to the train station. Yet as a creature of habit, I never use the Maple Street ramp with the traffic signal and alway fight getting out of Fairview. You think after all this time I'd learn.
I don't quite get it. County jail? Are you referring to one close by Pulaski? There are no traffic majority of time, especially in the summer. It is tough whenever it snows like crazy. I leave my house usually at 7:50 and get to the station at 8:10, walk across and take the path, usually end up at work at 8:40 to 8:45.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I don't quite get it. County jail? Are you referring to one close by Pulaski?
No, that's the "new" Hudson County Jail".

The old HC Jail was located on Pravonia Ave. near the Path Building. It was closed back in the 90's and relocated to the new facility in Kearny just off the NJTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey