Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 AM

17 posts, read 78,614 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to New Jersey from NYC (I currently live in Brooklyn) and I'm looking for an urban community much like New York City in New Jersey. The community must be: diverse, liberal/open minded, urban, and a very easy commute to NYC. I'm considering Essex County: Newark (Ironbound, Forest Hills), Union County: Elizabeth, or Hudson County: Jersey City. I'm looking for someplace that is not expensive (which rules out Hoboken and the Jersey City waterfront). I'm a single professional African -American male in my early 30's (just out of graduate school) so the community must have some kind of night life and diversity is a must. Any suggestions would be great, but lets keep the responses POSITIVE PLEASE. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
I'm planning to move to New Jersey from NYC (I currently live in Brooklyn) and I'm looking for an urban community much like New York City in New Jersey. The community must be: diverse, liberal/open minded, urban, and a very easy commute to NYC. I'm considering Essex County: Newark (Ironbound, Forest Hills), Union County: Elizabeth, or Hudson County: Jersey City. I'm looking for someplace that is not expensive (which rules out Hoboken and the Jersey City waterfront). I'm a single professional African -American male in my early 30's (just out of graduate school) so the community must have some kind of night life and diversity is a must. Any suggestions would be great, but lets keep the responses POSITIVE PLEASE. Thanks so much
Where in Brooklyn are you moving from ?
I moved out from Sunset Park Brooklyn in 98 and love it here

Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM

I'm from Fort Greene, I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and moved downstate for college

Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:

One town that might suit your needs is montclair but the town is not geared towards singles, it is a diverse town populated by many different , successful people who are beyond their running around years.

NJ is not like ny and most of us are happy about that.
maybe you should consider looking in NY for places that meet your criteria!
NYC seems like the perfect fit for you, You more than likely would not be happy in NJ.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I thought about Montclair, but it's expensive. I don't think there's a place in NJ (easy commute to NYC) that meets your criteria, at least I don't know of one. Not sure what kind of nightlife you're thinking of, but I'm not sure you'll find it in Newark or Elizabeth. There may be areas of Hudson or even Bergen that might work, but I'm not all that familiar with that area. good luck in your search.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
I'm from Fort Greene, I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and moved downstate for college
I lived in Redhook before moving to Sunset park
so i know the area's

You would love it out here in jersey
You get a little of the country feel without losing the city feel
For instance
Today is the kickoff for the 1st Thursday of the month
Presented Downtown by the Rahway arts district
It will be held the first thursday of the month
This months Has
Country western favorite Tim Gillis
There will also be games
Artist---Crafters---Musicians
Art & craft show
Antique show and sale
and more

check it out on RahwayArtsDistrictHome

Good luck with your search and an early welcome
to jersey

Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion apvbguy. Although I would love to stay in NYC, as you know it has gotten very expensive to live the five boroughs. I have heard some good things about Montclair (a friend of mine works as a counselor at the university) and I'll check it out. I do however, believe that even though NYC and NJ are different, there has to be something to be found in its urban areas like Jersey City, etc. I guess I'll just have keep looking. Thanks again for the response and take care

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks BrianG, I've heard that Rahway was positioning itself as the "next Hoboken" (this is the same Rahway near Elizabeth, NJ in Union correct). Thanks for the suggestion. The commute into NYC seems fair (via NJtransit) and it is still close to NJ's major cities like Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey City/Hoboken.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 110,911 times
I would highly recommend West New York/Weehawken/Union City... you'll find that its a very urban walkable community, some parts gentrified, other parts not. Excellent views of the Manhattan skyline, and yet minutes away from nightlife in Hoboken/J.C. and Manhattan.

I would rule out Essex/Passaic Counties... but you may be also be interested in Fort Lee & Englewood in Bergen County. Englewood's new town center has a great feel to it, but may be "too suburban" for your taste. Still worth to check out.

Personally, I rate West New York the highest... I have friends there who pay $1,400 a month for a cute 2 bedroom apartment that had Manhattan skyline views, and we would walk all over to bars or just take one of the buses into midtown Manhattan which cost $2 a piece.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks MTNY, wow, you guys have been most helpful.....North Hudson County does sound like the perfect fit and the prices sound great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey