Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,452 times

Advertisements

Was just there last night and gentrification is really coming along nicely. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
We spent 4 days there last November and it was great. The weather was fall-like so everyone was out on the boardwalk and it was fantastic to see it. Lots of activities for the kids that weekend and plenty of places to gnosh on the boardwalk.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
Buy real estate in Asbury now, it will be gold in the next couple of years ...

It's definitely on the rise- lots going on, lots of developing~ condos, businesses, nightlife, concerts, and attractions ... very hip/trendy. It's made a dramatic change in the last couple of years ...

I think the further you get from the boardwalk area though, there is still a bit of crime and seedy, low-income residents still there .... mostly burglaries, drugs ... at least from what I read.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM

225 posts, read 352,451 times
I'm really happy Asbury Park is revitalizing. It was only a matter of time. My friend's family owns a beach house in Ocean Grove and whenever I would go down and visit as a kid I would see the abandoned buildings of Asbury Park and wonder what was on the other side of them. I would ask people about Asbury Park, they would say it was a bad place, and I would say "well maybe it will get better." The usual response was a laugh. I never understood or liked this pessimistic attitude so I am happy that yet another New Jersey city is joining the ranks of Hoboken, New Brunswick, and Jersey City and coming back to life (and proving the doubters wrong).

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
I'm really happy Asbury Park is revitalizing. It was only a matter of time. My friend's family owns a beach house in Ocean Grove and whenever I would go down and visit as a kid I would see the abandoned buildings of Asbury Park and wonder what was on the other side of them. I would ask people about Asbury Park, they would say it was a bad place, and I would say "well maybe it will get better." The usual response was a laugh. I never understood or liked this pessimistic attitude so I am happy that yet another New Jersey city is joining the ranks of Hoboken, New Brunswick, and Jersey City and coming back to life (and proving the doubters wrong).
I think parts of JC and Hoboken got a head start -- Asbury was much slower to transition if you ask me.

We were on cookman in the area by Old Man Rafferty's and Basin Bar. In one year's time, this area has really made a huge transition. We went to drink at Brickwall, which wasn't packed but still pretty fun. Everyone there was really nice too. Most of the shore area's in my experience do not have as nice of people working or playing there (Belmar, Sea Girt, Pt. Pleasent, Seaside etc.)

Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Just found out our Governor will be on the boardwalk near Convention hall in about an hour for a 30 minute press conference at 3pm followed by a walk around the boards.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Just found out our Governor will be on the boardwalk near Convention hall in about an hour for a 30 minute press conference at 3pm followed by a walk around the boards.
Followed by an extensive sampling tour of Asbury's Zagat rated restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey