Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM

79 posts, read 303,085 times

Advertisements

One of my good neighbors accepted a job in New Brunswick downtown. She plans to drop her kid at the Lakeview day care center in Hamilton in the RWJ campus, which is a mile away from home.

Google maps shows 26.7 miles distance on both the 1 North and 130 North routes to New Brunswick. She has not been able to decide which one is likely to save her any time. Not sure which one has less traffic lights.

Time is very critical for her as she has two kids and would like to spend as less time as possible on the road. Based on your experience, which of the two routes is likely to take less time to drive to and from New Brunswick?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 PM

208 posts, read 545,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Newbie View Post
One of my good neighbors accepted a job in New Brunswick downtown. She plans to drop her kid at the Lakeview day care center in Hamilton in the RWJ campus, which is a mile away from home.

Google maps shows 26.7 miles distance on both the 1 North and 130 North routes to New Brunswick. She has not been able to decide which one is likely to save her any time. Not sure which one has less traffic lights.

Time is very critical for her as she has two kids and would like to spend as less time as possible on the road. Based on your experience, which of the two routes is likely to take less time to drive to and from New Brunswick?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..
In my experience 130 is almost always faster than Route 1, though I can't really comment on the stretch between Hamilton and Cranbury.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,657 times
130 no question

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,657 times
Actually if time is critical do 130 to 195 to turnpike exit 7a to New Bruns exit 9

Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,878 times
OysterCatcher's suggestion of the NJTPK is going to be her best bet for the next couple of years for the following reasons:

Rte. 130

1) There is the construction project that will be ramping up along Rte. 130 in North Brunswick at Adams Station. Even though much of the work will be done on the overnight, there is going to be residual lane closures and traffic shifts which will eat into time.

2)Also, until people get used to the new traffic light being installed at Apple Orchard Road (yes, another one) traffic from Georges Road northbound is going to be rather herky-jerky.

Rte. 1

1) The number of bottle-necks through South Brunswick eat up lots of time.
2) The collection lights all along the route, 17 in all, just kill any opportunity for a consistent flow of traffic to move.
3) The construction that will be starting up at New Road in South Brunswick within the next several months.
4) The long-term paving project the is happening from Quaker Bridge to Woodbridge Center.

I would strongly recommend that she budget her time wisely and build in time for any number of possible delays, even along the NJTPK.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
I agree with taking the turnpike. Reason is, there's a bottleneck on 130 South that happens through Cranbury and East Windsor due to the lights at rush hour. If there's an accident on the turnpike, forget it...

If time is of the essence, taking the turnpike is going to be your best bet.

But here's the thing - you don't have to be dedicated to one route. Taking back streets and other ways might be the best way to avoid traffic.

Take each of the routes on the way to work and see which works best.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,502 times
Yes Rt 130 through East Windsor is virtually a parking lot now. Otherwise I would say it is definitely a better option than Rt 1.

RWJ Hamilton is right off 195, which you can hop on to get the turnpike at 7A and get off at 9. Then you have the tolls that go with it, and they are redoing the whole interchange 8 where it tends to be backed up lately.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM

289 posts, read 608,574 times
I live just by Rt130 in East Windsor. While I agree that traffic on Rt130 is much lower than Rt1, Rt130 is in a bad condition, especially from north of Robbinsville to all the way to north of South Brunswick. It used to be a concrete road back when it was originally built, with expansion joints. Somewhere along they coated it with a veneer of asphalt, so asphalt now bunches up at the concrete expansion joints. If you have a older car with poor shocks, this gets very annoying.
There was a plant repave a section of Rt130 in East Windsor, but looks like that might not happen, they are just sanding the chunks of asphalt and applying band-aid fix to expansion joints for now.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,809,136 times
There really is no good option for her.

Because of the NJ Turnpike construction travel north between exit 7A (I-195) and exit 9 (Route 18) isn't that great. On some mornings traffic is backed up at the exit 9 toll plaza to get on Route 18 north.

However of the three options given, I'd pick the Turnpike.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM

300 posts, read 914,191 times
rt 130 problem at east windsor can be bypassed by going through old trenton road but I am not sure about what is current situation at windsor edinburg road traffic light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey