Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Is anyone really shocked by a corrupt politician in NJ any more? I think if we found one that was legit, now that would be a shock.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday , October 07, 2007

The mayor of Atlantic City called in sick to work a week and half ago and has since disappeared. Now Mayor Robert Levy is expected to resign this week, a city official who doesn't want to be named told FOX News

With the resignation, "this circus will come to an end," the official said. The strange case of the missing mayor began when new information was revealed that suggests Levy lied about his military service and has been falsely collecting military benefits.

The official said a federal investigation is close to concluding that Levy illegally took military benefits he wasn't entitled to receive, and a plea deal is currently being worked out with prosecutors.

The Press of Atlantic City was first to check out Levy's accounts that he was a 20-year Army veteran with two Bronze stars and two tours of duties in Vietnam. The newspaper learned that Levy lied when he said he was a Green Beret, and used the false claim to bump up his veterans' benefits payments by about $25,000.

Click here to read the latest Press of Atlantic City article on Mayor Levy.

The allegedly phony soldier has said he should've corrected the record years ago, but on Sept. 26 got into his city-issued Dodge Durango and drove off. A Levy spokesman issued a statement saying the mayor was going on indefinite medical leave, and an aide said he's in the hospital, but few people seem to know where or for how long he's been seeking medical care.

The city must also now find a new mayor. City Councilman Bruce Ward asked a judge on Friday to declare the mayor's seat officially vacant so that the council can name a replacement.

Gov. Jon Corzine has said the state is looking into legal options. Meanwhile, City Councilman Dominic Cappella said Levy asked him personally to take over his job duties. City officials say the day Levy disappeared, he signed an order transferring his powers to Cappella.

"He doesn't have to give it to you in writing, it can be verbal. I have had conversation with him last Wednesday where I wanted to find out how he was doing. He told me to continue the day-to-day business, that he would be back soon, and do what I do every day," Cappella said.

Unfortunately for Atlantic City residents, they are no strangers to this kind of controversy. Over the past 40 years, five Atlantic City mayors have been convicted of a variety of criminal offenses, four of the city's last eight mayors have been investigated for corruption, and three city city council members are either in jail or under house arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 AM

56 posts, read 250,115 times
Default He's a nice person in a bad situation

This is actually a shame. There was no need for Levy to embellish his military record. He had 2 Bronze stars and served with distinction. He also served Atlantic City for many years . What is the deal with Green Berets anyway? I guess that is the big deal for soldiers to aspire to, what a shame he had to lie about that. His fatal flaw, so to speak. I worked as a waitress to put myself thru college in the late 70's and he and his wife used to come to eat a lot. They were lovely people and bi racial, in a time when it was not easy. Later I worked in the AC Public Library where I saw her with their children, a very nice family. I feel bad for them.The AC mayors office is snake bitten, if you check back into not so distant history nearly every mayor has resigned in disgrace. I admit Iam following this story with great interest. I grew up in Atlantic County and though I now live in Hunterdon, I wish Bob and Hazel Levy the best. It's a sad situation for them personally, admittedly one that Bob got himself into himself. It's a bad situation for AC, once again they are a laughing stock and that is so typical.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,031 times
The mayor of Atlantic City going to a hospital? Is it a VA hospital? How ironic would that be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey