Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually 17 has been improved from Paramus & NJ 4 up to the NY line / I-287, it was upgraded, all traffic lights removed and so on. There are some improvements here and there going on. A dualized US 206 has been under construction on a new alignment down by Hillsborough for over a year.

I don't see much brand new highways being built and the State DOT announced that a few years back. Mostly some capacity improvements such as the NJ 3 widening and bridge replacement over the Passaic River, etc.

Instead of building I-95 on a new alignment through NJ what we got, and still don't have is a ramp or interchange to connect the Pennsy Tpike extension to I-95 in PA, That has been in the works for decades and most of us will probably not see it in this lifetime. It was supposed to be built waaaay in the future, like 2008, but now it will probably take til 2025 or so.

A few years back when the State wanted to build NJ 92 they where going to let the NJ Turnpike build it and charge a toll.

I think I-287, the Northern section from Montville NJ to the NY line was the last major piece of unbuilt interstate to be built in the US, which was finished maybe ten or 12 years ago. Along with that NJ widened all of I-287 to 3 lanes, many sections where 2 lanes, but along the way had to fight court battles with the Sierra Club a long while. Finally 287 was widened but the deal was the extra lane was for car pools, meaning 2 or 3 people in each car. Traffic would grind to a halt when you hit the car pool sections because 3 lanes had to merge back to 2. After a few years one of the Gov's I thin Whitman got Fed permission to get rid of the car pool lanes so we could all use the 3 lanes. The empty HOV sign structures are still there in many places.
HOV lanes only work if they are well planned. They were horribly planned in NJ. But given the current capacity issues, I think it would be wise to bring them back on some roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
How about we start with making the RVL and other train lines go direct to the city?
that requires another tunnel. the tunnel is basically at full capacity right now for trains.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that requires another tunnel. the tunnel is basically at full capacity right now for trains.
I know. My point was that doing that would make much more of an impact on traffic/quality of life than any road widening is going to, considering how much more frequent you could make trains on all lines then.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I know. My point was that doing that would make much more of an impact on traffic/quality of life than any road widening is going to, considering how much more frequent you could make trains on all lines then.
in that case, I absolutely agree. Another huge improvement would be including a light rail over the new Bayonne Bridge. that would do wonders for Staten Islanders coming into NJ for work. thought most NJ commuters in cars probably don't feel that impact.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats on the list , but can't happen intill the Newark Upgrades are done which would be in 2025 along with the New Tunnels , New Bridges , New Viaduct and New Penn Station... NJT will expand its Central and Western Network starting in 2018....in Ocean , Monmouth , Middlesex , Hunterdon , Warren and Sussex Counties. Sussex County should be getting its Rail by 2013....Warren will be 2017....However the current setup in the Morning for the RVL isn't the worst its coming home, Newark Penn Station needs to be upgraded first which won't be completed till 2015...
Hmmm, when I read things like that,,,Sussex County by 2013,,, that's next year,,,I expect it would be a miracle if they got anything by 3013

Things are historically slow getting much done, even on the roads, on the rails they seem to restudy things every 20 years or so and make a bunch of predictions.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's called the "6-to-9 Widening Project"

I know people working on the project, and "6to9widening" is actually part of their email address!
At some point I-95 will eventually be connected together, that project is a big part of it. I-95 will leave the NJ Tpike at Exit 6 and go over what is now I-276 then connect to the rest of I-95 to/from Philly and Florida, etc. The two roadways have gone over/under each other with no ramps since they where built, mostly because they expected NJ to build I-95 which did not happen down there.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Hmmm, when I read things like that,,,Sussex County by 2013,,, that's next year,,,I expect it would be a miracle if they got anything by 3013

Things are historically slow getting much done, even on the roads, on the rails they seem to restudy things every 20 years or so and make a bunch of predictions.
Its under Construction...as long as that is happening it will get done or if it has been Engineered....

Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you have a complete lack of understanding of Civil Engineering and traffic planning if you believe adding more lanes is the solution to traffic problems. I don't know where you've been that has 8 lanes in one direction. I've seen 4, but it's in places with horrible traffic and severe underspending on public transportation..
On I-95 in South Florida there are 5 - 7 lanes per direction. Many parts of California same thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
On I-95 in South Florida there are 5 - 7 lanes per direction. Many parts of California same thing.
Those are completly Auto-Centric states and look how bad traffic is....lanes don't reduce traffic once you get over 4 lanes...they just encourage Sprawl and more traffic which hurts the state.

This would be Toronto which has doubled its population since the 1980s , but hasn't expanded its Transit Network...as a result every highway at rush hr is jammed. People in the GTA lose an average of 9 months sitting in traffic each year..the average commute is 2hrs...due to traffic. Before you say there highways are same most are 7-14 lanes wide....same happens in Texas and Florida...and California...you can't put aside expanding Transit when you have a booming population...

'Four-O-One' Way by Clashmaker, on Flickr

Highway 404 southbound @ Finch by Fizscy, on Flickr

The traffic I missed by dogwelder, on Flickr

Establishing Shot: The 405 by Atwater Village Newbie, on Flickr

Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Those are completly Auto-Centric states and look how bad traffic is....lanes don't reduce traffic once you get over 4 lanes...they just encourage Sprawl and more traffic which hurts the state.

This would be Toronto which has doubled its population since the 1980s , but hasn't expanded its Transit Network...as a result every highway at rush hr is jammed. People in the GTA lose an average of 9 months sitting in traffic each year..the average commute is 2hrs...due to traffic. Before you say there highways are same most are 7-14 lanes wide....same happens in Texas and Florida...and California...you can't put aside expanding Transit when you have a booming population...

'Four-O-One' Way by Clashmaker, on Flickr

Highway 404 southbound @ Finch by Fizscy, on Flickr

The traffic I missed by dogwelder, on Flickr

Establishing Shot: The 405 by Atwater Village Newbie, on Flickr

I would kill myself before I ever considered doing that commute every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey