Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times

Advertisements

I used to shop on black Friday in the 90s. When you could show up at 7am and be 5th in a line full of 20 people max. This was before Walmart (and all the types of customers they bring) hit our area.

I'm fine with shoppers and retail outlets doing whatever they want on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I will not participate in it myself.

Opening on Thanksgiving was a big hit last year, so the people clearly want it and are creating a demand for it. No one in their right mind would deny that kind of demand. Goodluck to everyone that participates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,987,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Goodluck to everyone that participates.
Good luck is right...

Black Friday Store Stampede! [Compilation] - YouTube

Don't forget the pepper spray!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'll agree with you to a point. Thanksgiving is a not a religious holiday though-it's a national holiday, much like the 4th of July, where we are supposed to be celebrating the very freedom you speak of. Still, as the saying goes, it's the solider who serves under the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and who dies so that others have the right to burn the flag. People have the right to drag their kids away from the Thanksgiving table to go on an all night odyssey of excess, waste, and conspicuous consumption, but they're still complete $@&%heads for doing it
oh this person is clearly above all those silly people who are obsessed with buying objects.

badfish, would you like to learn a new language?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are actually supposed to be a smart consumer and buy the product that provides the most value for you. the evil corporation is just trying to meet your demands. if the corproation is evil, so are you.
If you mean I have enabled them to be evil, you are right, and that is why I'm trying to turn a new leaf...as for buying what provides value, it is sadly few and far between now. It used to be that certain name brands were synonymous with quality, and I had been guilty for thinking it still did, despite the fact that they now use much cheaper materials and labor. Problem is trying to find products that are made well in certain categories is getting harder and harder. I would gladly pay more for a quality item, if it were made. When I started searching for a thermos made in USA I knew if I found one it would cost more. Fact is I paid as much for my used one as I would have for a new cheaper one.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,061,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I think it is out of control!! It is the one holiday that everyone celebrates and stores should remain CLOSED at least until 8AM Friday so employees can enjoy time with their families.

I never got caught up in Black Friday madness!!

I also say kudos to Nordstom for not getting caught up in it.
Thank you from a retail worker.I understand that it is my job, and I accept that.Fortunately, my company has resisted the urge to go overboard with it.But these stores that force their employees to work on Thanksgiving night are just ridiculous.I will not support that.We deserve a holiday too.Thanksgiving is more than what we've made of it.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you mean I have enabled them to be evil, you are right, and that is why I'm trying to turn a new leaf...as for buying what provides value, it is sadly few and far between now. It used to be that certain name brands were synonymous with quality, and I had been guilty for thinking it still did, despite the fact that they now use much cheaper materials and labor. Problem is trying to find products that are made well in certain categories is getting harder and harder. I would gladly pay more for a quality item, if it were made. When I started searching for a thermos made in USA I knew if I found one it would cost more. Fact is I paid as much for my used one as I would have for a new cheaper one.
you enabled them to try to provide you with a product to meet your needs at a price you are satisfied with.

i am generally happy with the quality of the products i purchase, maybe you need to do a little more research before making purchases.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM

198 posts, read 469,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Growing up one of our family traditions was going to the movies after Thanksgiving dinner. We certainly weren't the only ones as there were lots of other people at the movies. Those people had to work. Just like people who work in hotels, hospitals, emergency services.

To me this is just one of the downsides of those types of jobs. You know you have to work on holidays, nights, weekends.
I think it's worth pointing out that real harm comes to people when hospitals and emergency services shut down. Less so when you can't buy a previously returned flatscreen for 20% off.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,175,980 times
Personally I can't help to think this all sounds a bit hypocritical. If you have ever gone to a restaurant or done any shopping on a holiday then you are part of the problem. Ever gone away for a holiday and stayed at a hotel? Taken a taxi?

Don't those people deserve their holidays?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,987,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
I think it's worth pointing out that real harm comes to people when hospitals and emergency services shut down. Less so when you can't buy a previously returned flatscreen for 20% off.
LOL...Don't forget all of the idiots who will need medical attention as a result of participating in Black Friday "festivities"

Black Friday 2011: The 99 percent fight over 4gb Memory Cards (FOR REALS) - YouTube

Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,732,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The thing that makes this country great and strong is NOT blessings and NOT sacrifices. The thing that makes this country great is the single idea that differentiates it from all other countries: freedom.

Freedom means we can observe Thanksgiving or Christmas or Flag Day or any other day however we personally see fit. And some may desire to work and not observe anything at all. And others may have chosen jobs that require holiday work, because the value of having that job in the first place eclipses the trivial inconvenience of having to work on a few holidays.

Freedom means living and let live. And not demanding that all observe a given holiday in any way, or at all.

So the bottom line is everyone should be free to observe, or not observe, and remember, or not remember, or give thanks, or not care at all, as they see fit.

If one values all holidays off, start a business and take all the holidays off. Or take a job that closes on all major holidays.

People have to remember that we live in a free country, and that the alternative for others on this planet includes MANDATORY BEHAVIOR, aka, Sharia Law. We don't want to become ANYTHING like that.

So Black Friday is NO PROBLEM. If one wants to shop, fine. If one wants to stay at home in the dark and go into a deep prayer state, fine. If one wants to work and make lots of extra money, fine. If one wants to stay home, ask for the day off well in advance. If the job won't give you the day off, find another job. Options, freedom, choices, liberty. THAT is what we need to be thankful for.
...and from whence do we derive our freedom if not from sacrifice and blessings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey