Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 33,445 times

Advertisements

Guys. Ill be moving to NJ this January to start a new job in Secaucus. Im looking for a place to live (apartment) which be close or accessible to Secaucus, not so congested, safe and cheap. There's just a lot of apartments in NJ and really cant tell which places are safe or not. Budgetwise Ill max at 1200 monthly. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy23 View Post
Guys. Ill be moving to NJ this January to start a new job in Secaucus. Im looking for a place to live (apartment) which be close or accessible to Secaucus, not so congested, safe and cheap. There's just a lot of apartments in NJ and really cant tell which places are safe or not. Budgetwise Ill max at 1200 monthly. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Look at Rutherford. Should be able to find something in your budget range, it's safe and a nice little town really, and close to Secaucus. You could also look at Secaucus itself--it has some pricier, newer places, but you also might find something in an older apartment.

I'm assuming you're looking for a one-bedroom and that it's just you. If not, you should really answer all the questions at the Sticky at the top of the page. Most of New Jersey is relatively safe except for the larger cities, and even those have areas that are fine to live in, though they will be more expensive. However, with working in Secaucus, you might as well just live in the nearby 'burbs.

Cheap, by the way, isn't something you'll really find too much of in Jersey, especially northern New Jersey. The reason it's congested is because it's a stone's throw from NYC, so everyone wants to live there, and when everyone wants to live someplace, cheap ceases to exist. And if you've already decided to live in NJ, you are surely aware that it's one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
When I took a position in Secaucus, I rented an apartment in a two flat, older home in the town itself. Was very convienent to work, rain, sleet or snow, I was at work. NJ is an expensive state to
live in and the traffic is heavy everywhere.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the tips, and yes, just by myself and Ill go ahead and include Rutherford.

Will these places be fine and accessible as well?

Bayonne
Nutley
Kearny

How about Union City and West NY?

Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Look at Rutherford. Should be able to find something in your budget range, it's safe and a nice little town really, and close to Secaucus. You could also look at Secaucus itself--it has some pricier, newer places, but you also might find something in an older apartment.

I'm assuming you're looking for a one-bedroom and that it's just you. If not, you should really answer all the questions at the Sticky at the top of the page. Most of New Jersey is relatively safe except for the larger cities, and even those have areas that are fine to live in, though they will be more expensive. However, with working in Secaucus, you might as well just live in the nearby 'burbs.

Cheap, by the way, isn't something you'll really find too much of in Jersey, especially northern New Jersey. The reason it's congested is because it's a stone's throw from NYC, so everyone wants to live there, and when everyone wants to live someplace, cheap ceases to exist. And if you've already decided to live in NJ, you are surely aware that it's one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Sorry I was not able to read the sticky, but here ya go:

Where are you coming from? Alabama
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working ? Secaucus

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 1200 max
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment if possible

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? None
Do you need/want good public schools? Not really

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Just want a safe less congested area than Jersey City.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: safety, accessibility to NYC, parking space?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,939 times
Hello Everyone, I am new to this type of forum so please have some patience. I am in a similar situation but with some tweeks, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you coming from? Overseas, Island in Carribean
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working ? Secaucus

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 1500 max
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment if possible in community type setting, townhouse or duplex

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, husband and two children
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, two children, primary school

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Walkable town, not to busy not city like townish, tree lined streets,parks, activities for children. nearby access to public transportation important don't plan on buying a car. Willing to commute for work via train max 30-45min max. Good public schools and safe. Garden type community or similar.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: safe, access to public transportation,good public schools.

This will be a big change for our family any help is apreciated as to suggestions as towns to look at, so far looked at Edison, Glenridge, Plainsboro, Rossel Park, need more suggestions.

thanks! sorry for spelling mistakes.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM

171 posts, read 416,410 times
@luckyguy,

those three (Nutley, Bayonne, Kearny) are all less than a half hour's drive from Secaucus. At least, without traffic. I'm not sure how your morning commute would be from there because I commute the opposite direction, but basically, none of those are terribly far.

Union City is more urban than those areas mentioned and I don't know much about West NY.

Welcome to the Garden State! I'm sure you'll like it here, we have a lot to offer. Your first order of business should be to eat a slice of pizza ;P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey