Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We both live in Morris County - Marc sells in Morris County. I wonder if he realizes how off-putting he can be...and how that can affect business. Just sayin'.
I don't care for his politics either. But I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend his services as an agent. He has consistently demonstrated extensive knowledge and an attitiude that would serve buyers and sellers very well. (Small talk would have to be limited to the weather though! )

Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree with that,the Govt. should not be involved in setting minimum wages any more than some businesses should be setting minimum charges for services.

Can you imagine if Doctors or Lawyers started setting minimum charges or worse yet people who go to school for a licenses to sell Real estate and than ask for a set percentage of the sale.

Screw those people who are poor and work for low wages what do they expect to be paid like people who took a three week RE course? The shame.
Anti-Marc post of the year. Bravo.

If Marc was undercut by another Realtor (it's a trademarked name btw) at 2%, I would bet that he would laud the wonders of the free market and praise that person's gumption and ingenuity. Or he might send his Randian Army over to bash up the guy's leased BMW. I'm not sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Thanks for the PMs all of you. Yes it's been awhile since I was in this forum. Who knows, I may come home. Sandy got me home sick.

By any non government measure and statistics, our economy is defined as an economic depression. By various measures, we are worse now then in 1928. Yet there are many who are doing well, many who are not hungry and many who have a nice home with food in the fridge. But for those less fortunate, reading posts like from Marc who at least appears to be doing well, is a slap in the face. Many of those less fortunate will never read Marc's post because they have no roof, decent cloths and little food.......let alone a luxury like internet.

So Marc, open your eyes and look all around you. People are hurting. We will all take your word here of the glorious facade you present us of your privileged lifestyle but we look at you suspicious. Because knowing the housing bust, $80 trillion in lost equity in our homes, knowing that there are so few home buyers, almost no mortgage money available, and knowing that 72% of all Realtors have never renewed their license........we question the picture you present to us. There is hardly a Realtor alive who has anything to brag about.

Hey don't get me wrong man, my industry has been devastated by the economic depression too. I work with Realtors nearly every day. There is little business. It's bad out there.

The American Dream is no longer available. They call it the American Dream because you have to be dreaming to accomplish it. The American Dream has become the American nightmare.

During the Christmas season, why not massage your heart and help someone less fortunate. You would not believe how good you will feel. And you will learn how the other half lives. When you get home from this good deed, think about that nice house you live in and think about that corrugated cardboard appliance box the man lives in you seen under the bridge.

Have a blessed Christmas everyone in NJ. I miss ya all.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I don't care for his politics either. But I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend his services as an agent. He has consistently demonstrated extensive knowledge and an attitiude that would serve buyers and sellers very well. (Small talk would have to be limited to the weather though! )
I agree he's knowledgeable but the unfettered disdain he shows for the poor and lower middle class turns my stomach. Although I'm sure he wouldn't turn away their business. I'm also sure he touted that nasty government tax credit to boost his sales.

There are other very knowledgeable people in the business who display far more restrain than he. So like I don't shop at Walmart, the same applies here. You've got to draw the line somewhere. It's simply not good business and for someone in his line of work, it baffles me that he sees no issue with going off the rails like he does.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
If government really want to help, they can start getting rid of regulation. Running a business already hard, and business owner have to worry they violate some nonsense regulations and tax laws.

Below statement explains the problem business owner face.

I don't know it could be so frustrate to pay tax.
i can only imagine how hard it is to run a business when one's grammar is this poor.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ok,just one question.

When they riase the minimum wage,why doesn't everyone else's wages go up by the same amount?
So let's say the now make 8.50 as minumum wage. What about the peron who made 8.75 before the law gets enecated? Do they still stay at that rate?
it takes some time, but that's the eventual effect of raising minimum wage - it raises all wages. it's one of the arguments against doing it, because once everyone's wages adjust, prices likely also adjust and then you're right back where you started. the point definitely has some validitity.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You can't automate just yet a burger flipper at McDonalds. You can't automate just yet the sales clerk at Sears or Walmart...

There are jobs that simply can not be automated or shipped off shore.

I feel sorry for small Mom & Pop places that can't afford the hit but have NO sympathy for places like Walmart that take in millions each year in profits on all that crap junk that comes from China...they can afford it.
honestly - i don't think any wal-mart employee in NJ is paid minimum wage. there were none at the store that my wife worked in.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it takes some time, but that's the eventual effect of raising minimum wage - it raises all wages. it's one of the arguments against doing it, because once everyone's wages adjust, prices likely also adjust and then you're right back where you started. the point definitely has some validitity.
Well, in a good number of small businesses they are being paid off the books so the business owner is really making out in the situation. Some don't pay their fair share of taxes, don't offer health care and employ illegals - all at the same time. When I hear business owners b*tching and moaning I think, try being a W2 employer (or employee) where you can't game the system nearly as much.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
honestly - i don't think any wal-mart employee in NJ is paid minimum wage. there were none at the store that my wife worked in.
Yes there were/are..usually starting positions for stock clerks etc...really you think the Walmart greeter is getting above minimum wage....really

and unless she was in payroll how would she know???

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes there were/are..usually starting positions for stock clerks etc...really you think the Walmart greeter is getting above minimum wage....really

and unless she was in payroll how would she know???
she was a manager. cashiers start above $9/hr. you might be right on greeters though. stock clerks actually get paid higher because of the lifting requirements of the job. i'm not being crazy - i was equally surprised when she started working there at how things aren't as bad as people often think. it's not enough to get me to go into their god awful stores...but i don't hate them as much as before she worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey