Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM

438 posts, read 965,088 times

Advertisements

I worked in Allendale for 2 years.. great area but some of the biggest snobs I've ever seen/met. $300K near NYC is impossible to find unless you want a one bedroom flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllendaleResident View Post
You could try Monroe or Warwick. $300K houses in Allendale are non-existent. $700K houses are hard to find.

I was at a friend's house a few summers ago. We were talking about a property tax reassessment, which was taking place. The one guy said something that stuck in my mind: "Nobody can live in Allendale if they make less than $200,000/year." It's pretty much true.
i know several people who live there and don't make near that.

but, i guess it's like the saying "if you think you can, you're right. if you don't think you can, you're also right".

Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM

438 posts, read 965,088 times
AB&G has great food!!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie101205 View Post
Can anyone tell me how these people all afford such prices, what is the secret? We have two children and living on one engineering income.
Bought a while ago before the bubble, make tons of money, up to their eyeballs in debt. Take your pick.

Unfortunately you are moving from a reasonably priced, stable region to one of the most expensive in the country.

I live further south, so am not familiar enough with that specific area, BUT, if you want to find more affordable prices in New Jersey the general rule of thumb is to keep away from areas popular with New York commuters.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i know several people who live there and don't make near that.

but, i guess it's like the saying "if you think you can, you're right. if you don't think you can, you're also right".
Oh dear, Tahiti is now a moderator...my days on the NJ boards are numbered....
I say "A", Tahiti says "B".

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Oh dear, Tahiti is now a moderator...my days on the NJ boards are numbered....
I say "A", Tahiti says "B".
no, tahiti says "Y", and stmaarten says "Z".

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no, tahiti says "Y", and stmaarten says "Z".
Okay, very funny...truce.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,230 times
Allendale is great. This entire area is the best, but it's so expensive.

Growing up here is a great experience but all the kids are forced to move out. It's a shame that you can't move into your hometown, or anywhere near it. All the kids I grew up and including myself have to move out or live poor. We all ask each other "So where do you want to move?". Not like our parents who grew up in this area and were able to buy a house.

The thing is, this area was normal 20 years ago. It was perfect. I come from a farm family and grew up in Upper Saddle River( the next town over). My family has lived here for generations. This area used to be so perfect and then everyone rich found out how great it was and started buying land. 20 years later, it's the hometown of celebrities, ceo's, doctors, ect.

Growing up was amazing, but being forced out of your hometown is not so much fun. What a shame.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
Allendale is great. This entire area is the best, but it's so expensive.

Growing up here is a great experience but all the kids are forced to move out. It's a shame that you can't move into your hometown, or anywhere near it. All the kids I grew up and including myself have to move out or live poor. We all ask each other "So where do you want to move?". Not like our parents who grew up in this area and were able to buy a house.

The thing is, this area was normal 20 years ago. It was perfect. I come from a farm family and grew up in Upper Saddle River( the next town over). My family has lived here for generations. This area used to be so perfect and then everyone rich found out how great it was and started buying land. 20 years later, it's the hometown of celebrities, ceo's, doctors, ect.

Growing up was amazing, but being forced out of your hometown is not so much fun. What a shame.
Totally agree. That's how we feel about the entire state of New Jersey. We (my husband and our respective families) all grew up in great towns in and around Bergen County. Our taxes in Bergen Cty became so outrageous that we decided to move to another county in New Jersey (silly us). We thought we'd hang on to life in NJ as long as we could, until the taxes caught up with us in Sussex County as well.
It's unfortunate, because we really love the state for all that it has to offer, but who wants to get slapped in the face over and over again?
In the end, we left the state of New Jersey simply to find an area OUR CHILDREN could afford to live in after completing college.
It's the sad saga of New Jersey: "Live here because you're rich, or because you're really poor. Otherwise you're screwed....eventually."

Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,230 times
Yes absolutely. It's an amazing place to grow up in.... until you grow up and are given two choices 1) move far away 2) live with parents.

The only way someone 20-40 can live here independently is if they win the lottery, inherit a ton of money, or make over $200,000 a year...and how common is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey