Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times

Advertisements

"sketchy characters" at Short Hills? Wow, if you mean dripping money, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
All those sketchy nannies, I imagine.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Perhaps what they were perceiving at The Short Hills Mall as sketchy is the diversity of the people of the NNJ area, or perhaps the construction workers, as they have been doing quite a bit of construction there as of late.

I must say that the SH mall is one of the nicest and most upscale malls around. The anchor tenants are Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Avenue and Macy's. And let us not forget that the mall also is home to stores from most of the top designers... Gucci, Hermes, Prada, Yves St Laurent, Chanel, D & G, etc. Heck it is one of the very few malls to offer valet parking for those who wish to avail themselves of it.

KoalaNJ

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM

39 posts, read 99,143 times
Ok, my hubs is visiting New Jersey and in driving around he came upon Summit. Liked the little town, but how is it to live there?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Thought I would chime in here as you seem to be in the same spot we were until a couple of weeks ago. My fiance' and I are moving from CA to NJ this spring; her office is in Parsippany and we did much internet research until we could actually get boots on the ground for our 1st house hunting trip which was 2 weeks ago.

We looked at Millburn, Livingston, Madison, Chatham, Florham Park, Summit & Basking Ridge. Out of those towns, Madison & Basking Ridge were at the top of the list. Madison has a very nice walkable downtown and a college town vibe to it (2 colleges there). Basking Ridge was newer and had a nice variety of upscale neighborhoods, town homes & detached homes. Lots of stores in pretty much every town and didn't seem to take very long to drive from town to town, we were used to CA long driving distances and NJ was a nice surprise

On the subject of shopping, only went to 3 malls; Livingston, Bridgewater, and Short Hills, which is next to Summit. Bridgewater was a very nice updated mall with a nice selection of stores & restaurants. Short Hills had alot of upscale stores and we had heard it was a very very nice mall with anything you could want.....after walking through we said, "Really!" Not sure what standard they were using, and maybe we are used to Southern CA, Orange County malls but we most likely wont be going back there again....also seemed to have a bit more sketchy characters on the periphery there....after driving through Summit we saw the same thing....maybe its a nice town but we must've been on the wrong side of the tracks! The mall in Livingston is not worth mentioning,.....looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's....got depressed before even getting out of the car!

All in all, once you get there to house hunt, talk to people in shops, bagel places or whatever, ask them what they think of their town or surrounding areas, I was lucky in that I was able to make connections with a couple of law enforcement personnel and they gave me good info re. towns that would be difficult to get anywhere else.

Good luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
All those sketchy nannies, I imagine.

"Sketchy" characters at Short Hills Mall!!! You're right I guess it can't compare to malls in Orange County, known as a stronghold of the John Birch Society. New Jersey's diversity must be quite a shock.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbelle View Post
Ok, my hubs is visiting New Jersey and in driving around he came upon Summit. Liked the little town, but how is it to live there?
Summit is a great town with very nice downtown and strong schools. But your money won't go as far because you're right on the train line and a lot closer to NYC, which doesn't help you andstarts to add up as a commute to Parsippany (versus the other towns you were looking at).

Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Jolly View Post
What are you a show-off or something? $900000 House? You don't need our help......Some people have $100000 houses, and if u have $900 G's, don't bring your sob stories here
It wasn't a sob story, it was a question. Take a breath, put away the bitterness & resentment, and have another shot at the forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Perhaps what they were perceiving at The Short Hills Mall as sketchy is the diversity of the people of the NNJ area, or perhaps the construction workers, as they have been doing quite a bit of construction there as of late.

I must say that the SH mall is one of the nicest and most upscale malls around. The anchor tenants are Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Avenue and Macy's. And let us not forget that the mall also is home to stores from most of the top designers... Gucci, Hermes, Prada, Yves St Laurent, Chanel, D & G, etc. Heck it is one of the very few malls to offer valet parking for those who wish to avail themselves of it.

KoalaNJ
It is those Gangs In Summit, no doubt, causing trouble at SH Mall. They are very sketchy.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Nobody wants to read about someone asking for help buying A $900,000 house. She was obviously showing off. People who have Money like that have minions that do their research for them, they don't do research on websites like this....she is clearly bragging
Scooter Jealous - your envy is not attractive. Amazingly, people with big budgets also ask for advice.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM

151 posts, read 528,284 times
Quote:
Nobody wants to read about someone asking for help buying A $900,000 house. She was obviously showing off. People who have Money like that have minions that do their research for them, they don't do research on websites like this....she is clearly bragging
Really? Give it a rest! She's coming from out of state, so no matter what her budget, she's looking for help on the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey