Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

168 posts, read 417,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
It is one of those schools where people that live there will defend it, and people that dont will attack it. Just more people that do not live there I guess.

And take the NJ monthly rankings for what they are. I stopped looking at them when they replaced "number of students that attend 4 year colleges" with "number of students that graduate in 4 years". So it is "better" to push someone through in 4 years no matter where they might end up.

Maplewood is trying to be a good school. You can see that their ranking has jumped (ok, I looked at the rankings today) because they now have smaller classes (but still 195th) and offer more AP classes (29th)

But they still have a long way to go on results (74th in math, 58th in lang, 89th in SAT, 60th in AP test passed)

and to show how silly the rankings are, to take the example from above where it is ranked above westfield

The only things that Maplewood is ranked above compared to westfield is that it averages 19.9 students/teacher vs 20.0, and it offers 24 AP classes vs 21 (unless they take the number of kids in the 12th grade too, and use the lower size graduating class as "better").
What is the source of your data and rankings? Can you provide a link? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 68,228 times
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm discovering that public school is a complex question. Currently, my kids attend public school in the Nevada which is ranked dead last in the entire nation for education. We live in a nice area, and our schools are okay...however my daughters fifth grade class has 38 students with one hard-working teacher. We believed that east coast schools would be a step up. Now, I see that we must be careful...NYCs system of applying for public school in your own neighborhood seems just plain crazy, so we can focused on suburban New Jersey. I have one child with an IEP. Teams in school, as the current student posted, seems as if that would not serve him very well.
Any options are appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,176,114 times
In the SOMSD district, there are certainly less than 38 students per class, generally, the max is around 32, but class sizes really vary by subject. Some classes have as low as 15, while others over 30.

No, 'teams' in the district are not great at all, but are only in middle school. What grades are your children in?

Also, there are programs in the district for special needs children, including an alternative program at CHS. When your children are at CHS, it could be an adjustment. CHS is a large school by size, and there are 2000 students. Though, the seven story clock tower makes the school appear larger than it really is.

In terms of location, if interested, both middle schools are just outside the downtown of South Orange and Maplewood, and are near the NJT station. The high school is halfway between SO and Maplewood downtowns, near the 7 eleven.

Last edited by slope95; 03-10-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM

This is the link of New Jersey monthly's list of top high schools .
https://m.box.com/view_shared/7c300516930c32f71a8e
This will give you the PDF.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Two in 7th headed to 8th, one in 5th headed to 6th.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM

168 posts, read 417,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
As I've said, the schools are okay. If the OP can afford, go to Millburn (next town). The schools are top performing. If I could go to Millburn I would.
I am not sure how to interpret this. Are you saying that you would get better education at Millburn? If yes, in what ways? Would you perform better in testing? Are you saying that your parents have chosen M/SO instead of millburn or they were not rich enough to buy into millburn?

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
I am not sure how to interpret this. Are you saying that you would get better education at Millburn? If yes, in what ways? Would you perform better in testing? Are you saying that your parents have chosen M/SO instead of millburn or they were not rich enough to buy into millburn?
Yes. Millburn is a very wealthy town, and generally is more expensive. The schools are known as better there. If it was more affordable, anyone would go. The reputation Millburn has is that everyone wants to go there for school.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninvegas View Post
Two in 7th headed to 8th, one in 5th headed to 6th.
Okay, I can tell you more about So Orange since I went there. 8th grade is generally good. Most of the English teachers are very good, and so are Spanish teachers. Most math teachers are good, and science teachers as well. 8th grade probably has the best teachers in SOMS.

In 6th grade, some teachers are good, some are not. The math teachers are all very good, but English teachers are not good. There is no Spanish taught in 6th grade.

South Orange Middle serves all of South Orange and some of Maplewood.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,423,668 times
Quote:
This is the link of New Jersey monthly's list of top high schools .
https://m.box.com/view_shared/7c300516930c32f71a8e
This will give you the PDF.
wow, Bridgewater-Raritan dropped from 67 to 113. that can't be right

Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,780 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm discovering that public school is a complex question. Currently, my kids attend public school in the Nevada which is ranked dead last in the entire nation for education. We live in a nice area, and our schools are okay...however my daughters fifth grade class has 38 students with one hard-working teacher. We believed that east coast schools would be a step up. Now, I see that we must be careful...NYCs system of applying for public school in your own neighborhood seems just plain crazy, so we can focused on suburban New Jersey. I have one child with an IEP. Teams in school, as the current student posted, seems as if that would not serve him very well.
Any options are appreciated. Thanks again.
You should also know that New Jersey's public schools are considered to be amongst the best in the country. So when we critique our school districts here, we do it with a much harsher eye than in other places. My guess is that "average" public schools here would be considered stellar in most other states. Just as an example, 43% of Nevada High School students drop out while New Jersey's drop out rate is 14%, one of the lowest in the country.

Again, I highly recommend you go to Maplewood Online to ask real parents what they're experiences are with the town and schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey