Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM

116 posts, read 218,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
The A&P closed at least a year ago! And what is wrong with students patronizing local businesses like Trattoria?
I stopped going to the A&P because I felt uncomfortable with the students there so I would not know that they had closed. Maybe I was not the only one not happy there.

I never said there was anything wrong with them patronizing Village Trattoria. But when there are 20 of them standing on the sidewalk yelling and cursing and a passerby (not me) says something to them they use some pretty colorful language.

I personally do not feel comfortable in that environment and won't go into town on Friday afternoons.

You know, not everyone has to like Maplewood/South Orange. Although I am a fan of the South Orange Diner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
You should stand outside the high school and see for yourself. The kids also go out for lunch (local pizza, the foodstore) and are loud, obnoxious and out of control.

Visit Maplewood Village on a Friday afternoon and see what the kids are like. There are stores in town that they are banned from.

Did you read this-

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Not every kid at the public school is a troubled child but your well behaved college bound child may be in the minority.
**** like this cracks me up. You watch the news tonight? Seems like City-Datas top 5 town/school Ridgewood is having a massive sexting scandal going on right now. Was one of the leads on Ch 4 tonight.

"Oh no NOT AT RIDGEWOOD. Only ANGELS GO THERE!"

Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,532 times
Quote:
I stopped going to the A&P because I felt uncomfortable with the students there so I would not know that they had closed. Maybe I was not the only one not happy there.

I never said there was anything wrong with them patronizing Village Trattoria. But when there are 20 of them standing on the sidewalk yelling and cursing and a passerby (not me) says something to them they use some pretty colorful language.

I personally do not feel comfortable in that environment and won't go into town on Friday afternoons.

You know, not everyone has to like Maplewood/South Orange. Although I am a fan of the South Orange Diner.
I'm sorry, but are you sure you live in South Orange/Maplewood? It was well publicized when A&P closed, and have you walked or driven there since? It is now Dollar Variety Store. I still don't see what is wrong with students there. People are on sidewalks hanging out in almost any town, what is wrong with that? Yes they may use bad language, but is that a reason to separate yourself from patronizing downtown? It is a relatively safe area, and next to no crime happens in Downtown Maplewood.

While SOMA is far from perfect, why do you live here if you apparently completely dislike the community?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 PM

116 posts, read 218,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
I'm sorry, but are you sure you live in South Orange/Maplewood? It was well publicized when A&P closed, and have you walked or driven there since? It is now Dollar Variety Store. I still don't see what is wrong with students there. People are on sidewalks hanging out in almost any town, what is wrong with that? Yes they may use bad language, but is that a reason to separate yourself from patronizing downtown? It is a relatively safe area, and next to no crime happens in Downtown Maplewood.

While SOMA is far from perfect, why do you live here if you apparently completely dislike the community?
I never said I completely dislike the community.

Why so defensive?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,532 times
Quote:
I never said I completely dislike the community.

Why so defensive?
Saying that not everyone has to like SOMA implies you dislike it.

Sorry if I came across bad, but you seem to be saying that CHS students are preventing you from being anywhere in the community.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
**** like this cracks me up. You watch the news tonight? Seems like City-Datas top 5 town/school Ridgewood is having a massive sexting scandal going on right now. Was one of the leads on Ch 4 tonight.

"Oh no NOT AT RIDGEWOOD. Only ANGELS GO THERE!"
apples and oranges. And stay with the facts please. On the one hand, one poster(apparently a MW/SO resident) is stating she is overwhelmed/uncomfortable when a large bunch of kids, not supervised, are allowed to 'hang' in given areas. It's just trouble waiting to happen no matter where you are. I have witnessed plenty of this type of 'brewing' activity. 10+ kids just hanging in any area is just looking for trouble. Kids are allowed to hang out but once they take over public space and the safety of others is compromised than it becomes a quality of life issue.
The RW texting thing is an isolated, albeit stupid incident, where a bunch of HS girls sent naked pics via a specific app that was to destroy the evidence 10 seconds after receiving the pic. One boy wised up quick, took a snap and posted it. Both school and local officials got wind of it and are now requiring immediate action to remedy the situation. All the kids involved are in trouble. The social media aspect of it makes it a tougher issue but it's not like this is what the majority of the kids do. Key being, unacceptable behavior will lead to consequences. Still don't know what this RW texting thing has anything to do with the poster's comments?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Yeah, teenagers at the Village Trattoria are noisy. They yell at each other across the street. This is what teenagers do. Maybe there's some prep school full of Stepford children somewhere where they don't, but everywhere else they do.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
apples and oranges. And stay with the facts please. On the one hand, one poster(apparently a MW/SO resident) is stating she is overwhelmed/uncomfortable when a large bunch of kids, not supervised, are allowed to 'hang' in given areas. It's just trouble waiting to happen no matter where you are. I have witnessed plenty of this type of 'brewing' activity. 10+ kids just hanging in any area is just looking for trouble. Kids are allowed to hang out but once they take over public space and the safety of others is compromised than it becomes a quality of life issue.
The RW texting thing is an isolated, albeit stupid incident, where a bunch of HS girls sent naked pics via a specific app that was to destroy the evidence 10 seconds after receiving the pic. One boy wised up quick, took a snap and posted it. Both school and local officials got wind of it and are now requiring immediate action to remedy the situation. All the kids involved are in trouble. The social media aspect of it makes it a tougher issue but it's not like this is what the majority of the kids do. Key being, unacceptable behavior will lead to consequences. Still don't know what this RW texting thing has anything to do with the poster's comments?
Are you that dense? The poster claimed SOM kids are rowdy, hang out in front of pizza places and make noise NEWS AT ELEVEN!

He is implying, those kids are up to no good and will POISON your little jonny at school.

My point is that, a good school, like Ridgewood, WHICH IS REPEATEDLY thrown around this board as a top 5 place to live in this state, becuase no wrong goes on there, and precious jonny and janey will grow up to be model citizens if they go there, is CURRENTLY going through a sexting scandal. Lead story on Nj.com all day today, and I saw a report on ch4 this evening.

Glass house....rocks....get it?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
simple, the people in Millburn are not willing to send their kids to Maplewood because the milburn schools are better (by almost every measurement anyone has ever done). When you are not willing to send your kids to Millburn because the "type" of people that your children would have to associate with, then you are snobish (because you FEEL the people in maplewood are better)
Wow, defensive much? I never said that M/SO is "better." I said that it is "different."

There's more to deciding where to live than picking the town at the top of the school rankings, especially in a state like NJ where the schools in general are some of the best in the country and the difference between #1 and #10 is pretty insignificant.

I choose to live in M/SO because I want to live in a walkable, community-oriented town where my neighbors are liberal Democrats, social activists and volunteers, mixed-race couples, same-sex couples with adopted kids, artists, musicians, writers, actors and other people in theater and TV, aging hippies, not-rich people, and ... yes ... a significant African-American population, some wealthy and others poor and unprepared for school, which does present challenges for the school system. I value having my kids exposed to a range of humanity, and I think the experience will serve them well later in life.

If I ever decide to move to a lilly-white, homogenous, wealthy Republican town where everybody works on Wall Street and there are two fur shops downtown, Millburn will be on the top of my list, since I do love the pizza at La Strada.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Are you that dense? The poster claimed SOM kids are rowdy, hang out in front of pizza places and make noise NEWS AT ELEVEN!

He is implying, those kids are up to no good and will POISON your little jonny at school.

My point is that, a good school, like Ridgewood, WHICH IS REPEATEDLY thrown around this board as a top 5 place to live in this state, becuase no wrong goes on there, and precious jonny and janey will grow up to be model citizens if they go there, is CURRENTLY going through a sexting scandal. Lead story on Nj.com all day today, and I saw a report on ch4 this evening.

Glass house....rocks....get it?
Don't forget the 2010 case in Summit where the high-school kids beat a Salvadoran dishwasher to death, recorded the attack, and sent the video to their friends. Haven't seen anything like that in Maplewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey