Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM

40 posts, read 145,388 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear your generalized descriptions (even 1- 5 words) of the following towns:
Montclair
Glen Ridge
Ridgewood
Maplewood
Short Hills
Millburn

Who moves there? What sort of demographic lives there? How are the schools, comparatively?

And if we are somewhat conservative types (think bankers), who put a significant amount of emphasis on education, who make roughly $500k, but also don't want pressure-cooker environments (want slightly more laid back, less-cookie-cutter and more creative than that), what would be first on your list for us, from that list? My gut says Ridgewood, but I don't know too much about any of these towns.

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U510545 View Post
I'd love to hear your generalized descriptions (even 1- 5 words) of the following towns:
Montclair
Glen Ridge
Ridgewood
Maplewood
Short Hills
Millburn

Who moves there? What sort of demographic lives there? How are the schools, comparatively?

And if we are somewhat conservative types (think bankers), who put a significant amount of emphasis on education, who make roughly $500k, but also don't want pressure-cooker environments (want slightly more laid back, less-cookie-cutter and more creative than that), what would be first on your list for us, from that list? My gut says Ridgewood, but I don't know too much about any of these towns.

THANK YOU!
Ridgewood to me is extremely cooke-cutter. Very white, very similar looking wives, kids, cars and bank accounts. Ridgewood is a very nice town, but I wouldn't label it "laid back, less-cookie-cutter and more creative than that". Summit (not on your list) is equivalent to Ridgewood, but is a better midtown commute. Short Hills doesn't have downtown like Ridgewood or Summit. Don't know much about Glen Ridge. Maplewood is nice, but surrounded by some pretty rough communities. I am surprised Madison isn't on your list??? Much more laid-back than Ridgewood and Summit (less keeping up with the Jones mentality), great downtown, beautiful community, excellent schools, and less snobish.

Ultimately, Ridgewood is a fine town - cookie-cutter, white folks wearing Ralph Lauren and Talbot clothes, driving Range Rovers, and working on Wall Street. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just not a place I would regard as creative or laid back.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks- that is actually exactly the kind of color-commentary I'm hoping to learn about these towns. Like I said, I dont' know what I don't know... Really appreciate the comments about Ridgewood! I'll look into Madison. What are your thoughts on Montclair?

(Btw, my husband works on Wall Street and we are actually fairly cookie cutter people, BUT we are not necessarily seeking that out in our town, nor do we seek it out in our social life in the city).

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
Quote:
Montclair
Glen Ridge
Ridgewood
Maplewood
Short Hills
Millburn

THANK YOU!
Based on your criteria and income, my pick would be Montclair followed by Maplewood and send my kids to private. Regarding Ridgewood, while many residents in RW are well off there are also many that need two income homes to make ends meet. It's a town of 25K+ and not everyone is driving/can afford the Benz. That's why the $450-$700k homes sell like hotcakes. But everyone there does have access to a great public school district, nice amenities and that's where some of the day to day pressures will be tested for families. From your list it's obvious the only 2 that are not similar would be Montclair and Maplewood. All the others to me offer the same vibe. Not a bad one but as the previous poster noted one that is centered on a planned/structured environment than one that is centered on a creativity or laid back approach/feel.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Based on your criteria and income, my pick would be Montclair followed by Maplewood and send my kids to private. Regarding Ridgewood, while many residents in RW are well off there are also many that need two income homes to make ends meet. It's a town of 25K+ and not everyone is driving/can afford the Benz. That's why the $450-$700k homes sell like hotcakes. But everyone there does have access to a great public school district, nice amenities and that's where some of the day to day pressures will be tested for families. From your list it's obvious the only 2 that are not similar would be Montclair and Maplewood. All the others to me offer the same vibe. Not a bad one but as the previous poster noted one that is centered on a planned/structured environment than one that is centered on a creativity or laid back approach/feel.
Why private? Are the schools in Maplewood and Montclair not that good?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
From your short description, I'd agree that Montclair seems like the best fit. A little more vibrant and a little artsy with more diversity. You should spend an afternoon/evening in town and you'll quickly get a feel for the downtown shops and restaurants.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Montclair
Glen Ridge
Ridgewood
Maplewood
Short Hills
Millburn

THANK YOU!

I actually would describe all these towns as having a heavy amount of Jewish culture as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Ridgewood & Millburn are 2 of the top school districts in the state. You can't go wrong there. Ridgewood's old money, country club set and always thought of as the town that people want to aspire to live in.

Montclair has one of the best downtowns in north Jersey and some great areas. But it also has some crummy public housing off of Bloomfield Ave. which drags down the schools a bit. Taxes are high so if u don't want to use the schools it's kind of a waste.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
Quote:
Why private? Are the schools in Maplewood and Montclair not that good?
Statistically speaking (and reputation wise) not as good as the others on your list. Especially if as you say you're looking a significant emphasis on schools. Many folks in Montclair go the private route.
https://www.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

225 posts, read 721,358 times
I'd add Summit and Westfield to your list
It would be a waste to move to a town and then send kids to private school
Montclair and Maplewood tend to lean more liberal (you do mention you are conservative)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey