Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 33,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys138 View Post
GiantsFan,
Sorry i did not reply sooner, Westfield is a nice town. there are many good aspects to our town just like many towns in NJ. It really depends on what you are looking for. As far as raising kids it seems like our town is very kid friendly. you especially see it on the weekends and it you look at the local paper there seems like there are things going on or around the town most weekends during the spring and summer
I think you would do yourself a disservice not to explore around the town during the weekend and look at all the town has to offer. you should also look at other towns as well with the same standard.
Good luck with your house hunting
thank you for your contribution greys - i'm still looking to buy before sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM

42 posts, read 81,360 times
Good luck on your search.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:49 PM

136 posts, read 240,387 times
Default I hope you find something!

Good luck. I think at this point we are giving up on Westfield. The town is truly lovely, but we are just not in the right price range. We are either at the losing bid of a bidding war, or we do not like the houses in our price range. I do think that the folks in this Forum who discuss WF and have given us advice are wonderful. Always willing to share information and give good tips. I thank you all, but I am sad to realize that we probably wont be neighbors(:

Old 05-17-2013, 07:56 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Just keep looking, eventually you will find something.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 33,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
Good luck. I think at this point we are giving up on Westfield. The town is truly lovely, but we are just not in the right price range. We are either at the losing bid of a bidding war, or we do not like the houses in our price range. I do think that the folks in this Forum who discuss WF and have given us advice are wonderful. Always willing to share information and give good tips. I thank you all, but I am sad to realize that we probably wont be neighbors(:
Sillymama - I said I'm gonna buy before sept. but I didn't say it's definitely wf. there is a larger supply of homes in the 450-600,000 range now than 2 months ago, but I share some of your concerns. I don't want to go to some of the non-name brand towns morris or somerset because of the commute but the taxes are better than union. Essex is way overpriced in home cost + taxes, but i'm gonna hit some homes in clark the next couple of weeks to compare to wf. I looked up some of your old posts today and some of the inspiration for my original post came from this one by tanisdrew. I forgot about the post but now remember seeing this last year and I remember saying wow there are some serious opinions on wf. we don't need a big home to reap all the town benefits so if you feel the same way sillymama we might be neighbors after all.

Westfield: Why does it seem like there is nothing decent in the $550 price range!!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11 View Post
Westfield: Why does it seem like there is nothing decent in the $550 price range!!
If there are no "decent" houses in the $550k range, there are two likely possibilities:
1) The market clearing price for "decent" houses in Westfield is greater than that.
2) The market is illiquid with sellers of "decent" houses refusing to go down to the $550k range despite a lack of demand.

If it's 2), you can make a lower offer for a more expensive house and hope the seller sees that the higher price is not going to happen. If it's 1), you can raise the price at which you are willing to buy, settle for a less "decent" house, or look elsewhere.

Personally I suspect it's 1).

Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 50,869 times
Move to Westfield if you can afford it. If your kids start to develop a sense of entitlement, provide them with some humbling experiences and they will be fine, and get into a great college to boot.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Degenerative cult? No Why all the residents regularly have their batteries replaced to avoid that

Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Westfield is a lovely town, and I think what sets it apart from the Summits of the world is a walkable and vibrant downtown area where people actually spend their day. Summit would probably be second banana in that category. Still, Summit's streets do not have the energy Westfield has, even in summer. Summit has a lot of boarded up storefronts along Springfield Ave. Summit does have good Sushi (Monster), that weird little jazz guitar nook, the Steak House that was the Bank Vault and a movie theater that unfortunately only plays kids stuff. Westfield has Trader Joes, a BETTER movie Theater that plays art, great places to dine, upscale clothing stores. It simply has a better mix of mom'npops and recognizable chains to make the mix more attractive to consumers. The main difference is the energy. Westfield has much more of it.
Haha, a Westfielder looking down on Summit. All these towns seem sorta the same. Total Norman Rockwell paintings with great schools, great downtowns, and great train service. Just like Madison, Fanwood, Ridgewood, Westwood, Upper Montclair, Maplewood, Morris Plains, and countless others. Places like Westfield exist in Westchester, Fairfield, Nassau, Chicagoland, San Francisco Peninsula, and Main Line Philly. All are pre war railroad suburbs that are now extremely wealthy with great commuter rail service to Great downtowns.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Haha, a Westfielder looking down on Summit. All these towns seem sorta the same. Total Norman Rockwell paintings with great schools, great downtowns, and great train service. Just like Madison, Fanwood, Ridgewood, Westwood, Upper Montclair, Maplewood, Morris Plains, and countless others. Places like Westfield exist in Westchester, Fairfield, Nassau, Chicagoland, San Francisco Peninsula, and Main Line Philly. All are pre war railroad suburbs that are now extremely wealthy with great commuter rail service to Great downtowns.
Weird because I always thought Westfield was closer to the 'hood than Summit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey