Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM

47 posts, read 147,988 times

Advertisements

Considering purchasing a unit in there. Was initially looking at Hoboken and Newport JC area, but couldn't find anything that fits my budget and requirements.

Anyone have any experience with The Thread and/or that area of Union City? Is it safe? Anything to look out for?

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM

123 posts, read 236,573 times
bump - I also am looking at the Thread. However, I heard that there is some pending litigation which might affect lending options. Does anyone know what litigation this might be?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,510 times
Default Just put in an offer

My bf just put in an offer on a unit there and there are certainly aspects we love and aspects we are highly concerned about. The HOA fees are extremely high while the amenities aren't that great. There is a children's play area which I doubt people use, a small gym servicing the entire building of 150 units, and an outdoor patio/grill area. Some or all of the units have a small balcony but it is much too loud to have the window open much less spend time out on the balcony due to the traffic from the highway directly below. Utilities are not covered by the HOA fee with the exception of hot water (I think) and there is only 1 parking spot per unit. Compared to other luxury condos we've seen on the Gold Coast, the HOA fee situation is not a good deal. Still, we found enough positives to make an offer. If we don't get it, we won't be that disappointed.

As for the neighborhood, my bf and I drove around the area both during the day and at night and it did not seem unsafe, but it depends on your tolerance level. If you need to see white people walking around with their kids at night to feel safe in your neighborhood, this is probably not for you. The neighborhood has a strip mall and a street lined with cute storefronts, providing the infrastructure for more businesses to come in the area in the future. It isn't Hoboken, but it can be something close to it in 5 years.

It would be great if someone living or renting in the actual building could provide some insight here.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeannaj View Post
My bf just put in an offer on a unit there and there are certainly aspects we love and aspects we are highly concerned about. The HOA fees are extremely high while the amenities aren't that great. There is a children's play area which I doubt people use, a small gym servicing the entire building of 150 units, and an outdoor patio/grill area. Some or all of the units have a small balcony but it is much too loud to have the window open much less spend time out on the balcony due to the traffic from the highway directly below. Utilities are not covered by the HOA fee with the exception of hot water (I think) and there is only 1 parking spot per unit. Compared to other luxury condos we've seen on the Gold Coast, the HOA fee situation is not a good deal. Still, we found enough positives to make an offer. If we don't get it, we won't be that disappointed.

As for the neighborhood, my bf and I drove around the area both during the day and at night and it did not seem unsafe, but it depends on your tolerance level. If you need to see white people walking around with their kids at night to feel safe in your neighborhood, this is probably not for you. The neighborhood has a strip mall and a street lined with cute storefronts, providing the infrastructure for more businesses to come in the area in the future. It isn't Hoboken, but it can be something close to it in 5 years.

It would be great if someone living or renting in the actual building could provide some insight here.

Hi Leannaj:

Just curious - did you guys end up buying an apt at the thread? I am currently looking and hav ethe same questions as you - is it safe and is the building worth it ? Home shopping is such a taxing and difficult task - Any insights you provide will be extremely helpful . Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:58 PM

650 posts, read 774,171 times
Why buy a condo , instead of a house ?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
This area offers little to nothing. Yes, it's easy to get into NYC from there, but that's where it ends. The public schools area a disaster. The area itself is a giant dump. Why would anyone spend big money to live in Union City?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
This area offers little to nothing. Yes, it's easy to get into NYC from there, but that's where it ends. The public schools area a disaster. The area itself is a giant dump. Why would anyone spend big money to live in Union City?
That is a bit overstated. Great transportation to NYC. I was told by a Weehawken school board member a few years ago that UC kids could enroll in Weehawken schools, which are pretty good. That is worth checking out. I am not sure if the Thread is one of the condo buildings we visited - I wasnt crazy about the ones I saw. I lived in Weehawken, about 2 mins. from UC, and spent a fair amount of time in UC attending Mass (very good Catholic churches), shopping, eating out... I do think people will be happiest there if cultural diversity is deeply important to them, because it's a heavily Latin immigrant town, quite low-income. (The big condo buildings seem like middle-class enclaves.) In the end, it wasnt an area where I wanted to stay forever, and we're not getting any younger, so we moved after only two years. UC feels like a transient kind of town - I think its population is overwhelmingly renters. I didn't feel unsafe, but I sometimes felt unwelcome. Also, it is very dense. It is almost like a European city with its narrow streets and sidewalks (which are always full of baby buggies and shoppers with big bags), and has lots of traffic, both foot and car. I tried walking my little dogs there once but it was way too crowded for that.

My Cuban driving teacher, Leo, on the other hand, loved living in UC. He said, "Everything you could want is right here!"

Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 AM

34 posts, read 31,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
suggest pls better alternative to UC with 15 -20 min commute to Manhattan with the same price range

Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkins View Post
suggest pls better alternative to UC with 15 -20 min commute to Manhattan with the same price range
Nothing on this side of the river. Condos close to Secaucus Junction maybe but I doubt the schools are anything to rave about and the tidal marches have an unpleasant smell when it gets hot & humid.

If you do choose UC personally I would look at neighborhoods close to the JC border or cliffs overlooking Hoboken. There is a narrow slice of UC out near Troy Towers that borders Weehawken has less road traffic and offers an easy commute. The town of Weehawken offers a free weekday shuttle service during rush hours that drops off along the light rail and ferry ports. For NJ Transit this area is serviced by the 123 bus along Palisades Ave or the 22 and connections to whatever PA bound bus comes first.

On the other side of town the JC border feels a bit more "Brooklyn-eqse" if that can be considered a good thing. Several parks including one for dogs plus new restaurants and even weekend brunch. The same buses 123/22 serve this area along with bus 119 which makes stops along the Congress HBLR station and Doric tower before descending to NY.

As a fair warning the area high rise condo developments like Troy & Doric are co-ops with high maintenance fees. The offering may "look" cheap until the fine print reveals an extra $1100 in monthly fees.

Last edited by GoHuskies; 06-12-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey