Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never heard of anyone putting their garbage cans inside of their garage. The idea that someone thinks they would go "back inside" the garage surprises me. Why would you put garbage cans inside the garage in the first place?

Usually they are at the side of the house.

I always keep my garbage cans inside the garage. It keeps the animals out. My neighbors all put their garbage cans on the side of the house and every night they have to clean up a mess. And yes, I have a detached garage. I literally only have to bring a bag of garbage out there about once a week. I have a garbage disposal in my sink so I don't have to worry about smelly food scraps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Well, keeping away bears, that would make sense! I had raccoons getting into my garbage once, so I waited until morning to put out the garbage. A couple of weeks after that, a guy two blocks away got bit by a rabid raccoon in broad daylight. I would never think twice about seeing garbage cans at the side of a house, though, not being "neat enough".

I also grew up in a different time. People weren't so worried about what their neighbors thought. I mean, you kept your lawn mowed and your house painted and in good repair, but people didn't have to undergo months of psychotherapy because clover or dandelions popped up on their lawns. No one used pesticides. You just had a natural lawn, and people didn't hire "landscapers" to cut their grass. No one went dashing to the phone in hysterics to call the town council because the teenage boys across the street worked on old cars in their driveways. (This actually happened when my brothers were teenagers and the new people in the new house across the street who'd pranced in from the city were horrified to find out that suburban living didn't look like the set of The Brady Bunch show.)

Sometimes the things that people feel are important puzzle me. Keeping out animals, well yeah. Worrying about how garbage cans look at the side of your house...why? Is there some reason you would want people to think your family doesn't generate garbage like everyone else? It doesn't really matter--to each their own peculiarities, but I would never drive by a house and think anything of seeing a garbage can.
I know you are addressing someone else, and I dont know about all that, but I do know that when you have direct access from the kitchen area, taking the bags outside would just add more work, so I would have no reason to do it. Not a lot more work, mind you, but the easiest, most convenient, path of least resistance for me is to bring the bags out to the garage. My previous home was the same, as was the house where I grew up, so I am just used to that.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I know you are addressing someone else, and I dont know about all that, but I do know that when you have direct access from the kitchen area, taking the bags outside would just add more work, so I would have no reason to do it. Not a lot more work, mind you, but the easiest, most convenient, path of least resistance for me is to bring the bags out to the garage. My previous home was the same, as was the house where I grew up, so I am just used to that.
Yes, if you read upthread, you would see that I said that this makes sense. I hadn't thought of it because I've never lived anywhere where you could easily go from a kitchen to a garage. I truly have just never ever heard of anyone keeping garbage cans in the garage before this thread. You learn something new every day.

Now you'll know how CD can affect my life--driving from the beach in Long Branch today to Delicious Orchards in Colt's Neck, I came upon some traffic on 71 and had to drive slowly so I began to look at the houses to see if I could see their garbage cans. I'd estimate that 99% of the houses I passed in Eatontown today had their garbage cans on the side of the house. (One had them on their front porch, which was certainly different.) Then I entered Tinton Falls. Again, most people had them at the sides of their houses EXCEPT in one brandy-new development I passed. Didn't see any garbage cans in sight. Next came Colt's Neck. That one was a little more difficult because often on that stretch of 537 you can't even see the HOUSE from the road, let alone any garbage cans. However, I did pass two beautiful, obviously expensive homes--with names, such as XYZ Stables and 123 Farm--that had garbage cans on the side of the house or in the driveway.

The other thing I'd never heard of before this thread is that someone mentioned that their town's garbage contractor provides the receptacles. Where I lived most of my life, you had to buy your own garbage can. So I noticed that all of the garbage cans in Eatontown look the same, and a couple were at the end of their driveways--it must be garbage night--and you could see that they said "Property of the Borough of Eatontown" in yellow letters.

I feel so much smarter now than I did when I woke up this morning. Who knew garbage could make for such interesting conversation.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-23-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We've lived in NJ since 2007, and here are some observations about NJ people that I have made.... this isn't supposed to be serious.

1. When you need to do yardwork, you have to take off your shirt. Mowing the lawn fully clothed is prohibited in our neighborhood.

2. You have to own at least 3 used, American cars to fit in. One of them has to be a pickup truck and the other has to be a Charger or Mustang.

3. Out of these three cars, at least one of them has to be parked in your driveway covered by a tarp.

4. You can never, ever use your garage, ever. Garages are used for junk. Driveways and streets are used for cars. See number 3.

5. You have to have at least 4 garbage cans at your house. They have to remain at the end of your driveway for at least 2 days after garbage day and outside your garage for another 2 days, or whenever your next garbage days is. Therefore, your garbage cans never go back inside your garage...ever.

6. Cars have to be parked rear facing in your driveways. New Jerseyans do not like to back out of the driveway in the mornings.

7. There has to be something in your yard covered by a blue tarp. It doesn't matter what it is, wood, dirt, etc. You have to have blue in your yard.

That is it for now...please feel free to add your own.
I know you said this isn't supposed to be serious, but honestly none of these are true for me or anyone I know. Covering your car (or anything in plain view) with a tarp? Trashy, IMO. Not a fan of that. The only time I back my car into the driveway is when I have to unload groceries. But then again, I live on a street that sees little traffic daily.

This does not sound like NJ to this NJ native! lol

Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 AM

30 posts, read 71,832 times
Quote:
I would never think twice about seeing garbage cans at the side of a house, though, not being "neat enough".

I also grew up in a different time. People weren't so worried about what their neighbors thought. I mean, you kept your lawn mowed and your house painted and in good repair, but people didn't have to undergo months of psychotherapy because clover or dandelions popped up on their lawns. No one used pesticides. You just had a natural lawn, and people didn't hire "landscapers" to cut their grass. No one went dashing to the phone in hysterics to call the town council because the teenage boys across the street worked on old cars in their driveways. (This actually happened when my brothers were teenagers and the new people in the new house across the street who'd pranced in from the city were horrified to find out that suburban living didn't look like the set of The Brady Bunch show.)

Sometimes the things that people feel are important puzzle me. Keeping out animals, well yeah. Worrying about how garbage cans look at the side of your house...why? Is there some reason you would want people to think your family doesn't generate garbage like everyone else? It doesn't really matter--to each their own peculiarities, but I would never drive by a house and think anything of seeing a garbage can.
Wow, that is quite a leap.

We don't match that stereotype at all. Matter of fact, no one can see our house from the road so it has nothing to do with what the neighbors think. We have plenty of dandelions and weeds and do the work ourselves - no landscapers. And it is plenty of work as we live in a rural area on 15 acres. The main reason is for the bears. Even if the cans are empty, they will still contain the smell of the garbage and the bears will still be attracted. You really don't want to give them anything that will keep them coming back. But the way our house and garage are laid out, it definitely looks "neater" when we come up the driveway to have them in the garage. Oh and the only thing here that resembles the Brady Bunch is our kitchen since it is 40 years old and we are just now going to be able to update it a little. But at least it is clean and functional.

I never said everyone else had to keep their garbage cans in their garage. I just stated the reasons that we do. I'm pretty sure my neighbors are aware that we generate garbage - especially when the garbage is out at the road on garbage day. I really don't care if you or anyone else wants to keep your garbage cans on the side of your house, in front of your house, on your roof, or wherever. I simply stated what works for us.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty231 View Post
Wow, that is quite a leap.

We don't match that stereotype at all. Matter of fact, no one can see our house from the road so it has nothing to do with what the neighbors think. We have plenty of dandelions and weeds and do the work ourselves - no landscapers. And it is plenty of work as we live in a rural area on 15 acres. The main reason is for the bears. Even if the cans are empty, they will still contain the smell of the garbage and the bears will still be attracted. You really don't want to give them anything that will keep them coming back. But the way our house and garage are laid out, it definitely looks "neater" when we come up the driveway to have them in the garage. Oh and the only thing here that resembles the Brady Bunch is our kitchen since it is 40 years old and we are just now going to be able to update it a little. But at least it is clean and functional.

I never said everyone else had to keep their garbage cans in their garage. I just stated the reasons that we do. I'm pretty sure my neighbors are aware that we generate garbage - especially when the garbage is out at the road on garbage day. I really don't care if you or anyone else wants to keep your garbage cans on the side of your house, in front of your house, on your roof, or wherever. I simply stated what works for us.
Only if you somehow leapt yourself to an erroneous conclusion that I was talking about you personally. I responded to your post with "that makes sense" about keeping the animals out. The rest of my post was a general observation, as per the thread title/subject.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
A relative in Howell gets her large trash bin from the garbage haulers. They STILLL are not required to recycle. I joke & tell her they're stuck in the 70s.

Clifton was so anal they made you separate the glass by color and the tin cans from the aluminum cans.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:08 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We've lived in NJ since 2007, and here are some observations about NJ people that I have made.... this isn't supposed to be serious.

1. When you need to do yardwork, you have to take off your shirt. Mowing the lawn fully clothed is prohibited in our neighborhood.

2. You have to own at least 3 used, American cars to fit in. One of them has to be a pickup truck and the other has to be a Charger or Mustang.

3. Out of these three cars, at least one of them has to be parked in your driveway covered by a tarp.

4. You can never, ever use your garage, ever. Garages are used for junk. Driveways and streets are used for cars. See number 3.

5. You have to have at least 4 garbage cans at your house. They have to remain at the end of your driveway for at least 2 days after garbage day and outside your garage for another 2 days, or whenever your next garbage days is. Therefore, your garbage cans never go back inside your garage...ever.

6. Cars have to be parked rear facing in your driveways. New Jerseyans do not like to back out of the driveway in the mornings.

7. There has to be something in your yard covered by a blue tarp. It doesn't matter what it is, wood, dirt, etc. You have to have blue in your yard.

That is it for now...please feel free to add your own.
The majority of these sound like several areas in south Jersey...Cumberland county and such...

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,177 times
does anyone even mow their own grass anymore? all i ever see are landscaping companies.
my husband does mow our lawn and he is required by me NOT to wear a shirt.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Around here (West Windsor/Princeton Junction), only #7 is true. Hardly anyone around here mows their own lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey