Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM

125 posts, read 636,253 times

Advertisements

Hi All!! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I am trying to get a better understanding of Warren, NJ and the surrounding areas because of a potential job I may take there. Because of what I'm looking for in a city, it's not likely that I'll want to live IN Warren, but I'm trying to find potential cities in the surrounding area to research.

Details below (questions pulled from the sticky thread):

Where are you coming from? Atlanta, GA - But I have lived in NYC previously for a few years (Forest Hills, Queens) and LOVED it. The proximity to NYC is a major plus for this job opp.
Why/Where are you moving? Job opportunity in Warren.
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? For a 2 bedroom apt - approx $1500/month.. maybe $2k/month if it offers everything I'm looking for.
What kind of place are you looking for? I like the 'big city feel', but safety is key. I enjoy many restaurant options; night life; etc.
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? A 8 lb dog.
Do you need/want good public schools? That would be nice, although I do not have any children so it's certainly not a requirement.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

- I am a 30 year old AA professional female. I enjoy areas with "young" (mid 20's-30's) professionals... diversity is BIG (multi-race; multi-cultural; LGBT accepting community). Walkable neighborhoods are great, too.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
- Safety #1
- Diversity #2 (race; cultures; LGBT accepting)
- Nightlife/Proximity to NYC are tied for #3.... Because the neighborhood will be within 45min of NYC I don't need a "mini NYC"; however I would like a location with its own nightlife and 'vibe'.

FYI - I do have a car... I'm okay with a commute by car (hopefully no longer than 30-45min) or by train (hopefully no longer than 1hr).

Hope I've provided everything necessary to get some good recommendations! If I'm missing anything, please let me know!!!

Thank you!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
I would recommend South Orange for you. I'd also recommend Morristown, but I believe that is less diverse, although I'm not sure.

I work in Warren, NJ right now, and I live in West Orange. West Orange lacks a downtown for there to be a decent "scene" for a young, single woman.

Other than that, I'm sure there are some communities further south that would be less expensive, thought further from NYC. South Orange probably has some negative points for safety due to proximity to the "bad part" of Newark, but you'd have to ask people from South Orange as I am sure many parts of it are fine.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 PM

206 posts, read 532,733 times
Morristown is pretty diverse and fits all the OP's criteria well except being further than 45min from NYC (could drive in 60 mins at low traffic times or take 70min train). Also not sure if you can get good 2 bedrooms there for under 2k. Montclair fits the bill too but probably longer than a 45min commute, so maybe S Orange is the best combo of not too far from Warren or NYC. Though not sure any of these would have a "big city feel", you really need to go to the places right next to NYC (Hoboken, Jersey City) for that, and then you're looking at a 60 minute commute to work.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM

123 posts, read 236,702 times
Jersey City was recently ranked the #2 most diverse city in the nation: The Most Diverse Cities In The US - Business Insider

It's a 15 min PATH (subway ride) into NYC. 35 mins - 40 mins to Warren by car (with the advantage that you'll be doing the "reverse commute" every day - i.e. most of the traffic will be heading east to NYC in the mornings, whereas you'd be heading west).

Downtown JC would be possibly doable for $2k a month for a 2 BR, but it would be tough. In some of the outlying neighborhoods (Journal Square, the Heights), you could easily find that without sacrificing too much in terms of safety (petty crime, as you're familiar with in ATL, happens in any big city).

Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Somerville, New Brunswick and Morristown - all within 20-30 min drive and have train connections to NYC. If you are open to 45+ min commuting, Jersey City might be a great option.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Time for some honesty here. First off your taking a job in Warren in one of the high tech/ pharmaceutical cos. and you will be working the usual 60-80 hrs every week so you are going to want to live fairly close to Warren.
Since you said diverse and gay/lesbian is OK then I would recommend Plainfield which is tops a 15 min drive to Warren.
You have train service to Newark/NYC right in Plainfield.
What you won't have is any significant nightlife in Plainfield.

I lived in Central NJ all my life and there is no such thing as a 30-45 min commute to NYC

You live in Morristown or JC you will be spending 2 hrs a day just getting to and from your job.

Look it up, NJ is the most congested state in number of PPl per sq mile. Do you want to be just another of those drones plodding off to your job every morning.

I should define drone.= Commuter getting into car with coffee mug in hand, waiting for light to change so they can pull into heavily traffic and crawl along at 20 mph and thinking"why did I ever take this apt so far from my job"?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM

123 posts, read 236,702 times
i drove west from Hudson County for a couple of years, never really hit traffic going that way.
Additionally, my current commute takes me going on Route 80 west and it's pretty empty around 8-830 am.

Don't know about heading west on 78 though - maybe it's more congested than 80/ 280.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM

125 posts, read 636,253 times
Thanks all for the comments!! I'm jotting everything down and will do further research when I get home!

PDD: thanks for your input. I actually wont be working for a high tech/pharm company... and I have a FWA (flex work arrang) so I won't have to be in the office everyday 9-5, etc. But I understand what you're saying regarding avoiding a ridiculously long commute.

I've heard Morristown from other sources as well; and find the info above on Jersey City pretty interesting.

Thanks again to everyone.... more suggestions/reccs/comments are welcome! :-)

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Time for some honesty here. First off your taking a job in Warren in one of the high tech/ pharmaceutical cos. and you will be working the usual 60-80 hrs every week so you are going to want to live fairly close to Warren.
Since you said diverse and gay/lesbian is OK then I would recommend Plainfield which is tops a 15 min drive to Warren.
Who told you working in high tech/pharma equats to working 60+ hours a week?!?!? I know tens of people who work at Citi in Warren and work a decent 9-5 job.

Also, Plainfield, really? OP has safety as a top priority!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Who told you working in high tech/pharma equats to working 60+ hours a week?!?!? I know tens of people who work at Citi in Warren and work a decent 9-5 job.

Also, Plainfield, really? OP has safety as a top priority!
Who are you kidding? Nobody works 9-5 unless they are in the janitor dept.

The OP asked for diverse and gay/ lesbian, Plainfield is safe for those people in that community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey