Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They won't be leaving anything on the table. They will just do it with less people.
when worker productivity is already at all time highs? I'm a bit skeptical of this prediction....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,073,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
new laborers? you speak as if they aren't already here.
I understand that they're already here.

Soon though, they'll be legally able to gain employment at places like Walmart and Costco.....and they'll be willing to work for less.

Enjoy!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,073,601 times
Ok.

Now that they got their increase, can we cut their government benefits?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I work for a major company and we do not get sick time, if you call out sick you may use a vacation day and it was quite the fight to get corporate to agree to that, but are still written up for it, an occurance is their word.
While I don't think government should dictate to business I don't think anyone who calls out sick be it paid or unpaid should be reprimanded for it. I would rather a sick person stay the hell at home and not spread their germs all over the place. Most managers know their direct reports and who the abusers are, the pattern setters, every Monday in the summer they are ill...lol..to those you give positive counseling...

Sick time, 401k match, tuition reimbursement has fallen by the wayside over the last decade or so with many of the bigger companies. Their bottom line goal is profit and keeping their stockholders happy and smiling.
that's funny...i work for a major corporation and we have unlimited sick time, 1:1 401k match (plus profit sharing), and they increased tuition reimbursement. Not all companies are stupid enough to not invest in their employees...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
when worker productivity is already at all time highs? I'm a bit skeptical of this prediction....
When someone calls in sick do these places shut down? Do they not serve their customers? Are they turning people away?

We will just have to disagree on this one.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I understand that they're already here.

Soon though, they'll be legally able to gain employment at places like Walmart and Costco.....and they'll be willing to work for less.

Enjoy!
less than they currently work for? i doubt it. and when they can legally gain employment, they'll also be paying taxes....

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree with you, but I don't think WalMart, McDonalds, and other minimum wage jobs were ever meant to support a middle class lifestyle. Real middle class jobs have been moved to China and other countries. If you try to turn minimum wage jobs into middle class jobs you will see significant inflation. If you want to buy cheap stuff at WalMart, you have to keep the cost of getting those products to the consumers, down. If we really want to build the middle class back up, we need to figure out how to keep those types of jobs here in the US. Globalization is the culprit in the growing wealth gap. When all is said and done, the only jobs we will have left are either highly skilled ones, or ones that take no skills at all. We don't build anything anymore. We have become a service economy. Doctors, Lawyers, and financial services on one end, and fast food workers, retail workers, cab drivers, etc on the other. The only middle class jobs that will be left are the ones that can't be outsourced or automated. Government jobs and tradesmen. And tradesmen are under constant threat by illegal immigrants.
Most of the stuff I purchase at Costco is cheaper than Wal-Mart (who pays more than minimum wage). McDonalds has locations around the world and pays higher wages than here, yet the prices are barely different...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
True and that happened in Canada, Walmart closed all of their stores.
Wal-Mart has 95,000 canadian employees, 222 Super Centers, and 158 regular stores...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
When someone calls in sick do these places shut down? Do they not serve their customers? Are they turning people away?

We will just have to disagree on this one.
when someone calls in sick, they usually fall behind on work. they don't have to shut down, but other work gets shelved. Used to happen when I worked at Blockbuster in college. There's a lot that gets done outside of ringing up a customer. And yeah, that could turn into less sales. If you can't restock the KitKats or put movies back on the shelves, maybe customers rent 1 less movie, in that scenario, and maybe they skip buying a snack....there's a lot that goes into some of these jobs that people never think of.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I think too many voted "yes" without thinking about how it's going to affect them in the long run.

Today we adjusted prices to compensate until the trickle down from the wholesalers & distributers hit us in Jan.

And next year, when the COL goes up and so does minimum wage, again? Prices will increase again.

Think about it: 20 employees who work an average of 2080 hours per year.

For employers who were paying $8/hr: that's an additional $520+ per year per employee (employee paycheck increases? So does business owner's workman's comp, etc., per employee).

So a little over $10,400 of a payroll increase.

For those who were paying $7.25/hr with 20 employees? Increase of over $40K per year in payroll.

Now take in to consideration that the manufacturers, wholesalers and distributers will also be passing their increases in payroll down the line and to the retailer.

Who is going to eat it in the end? The consumer. And ESPECIALLY the consumer who didn't increase his/her paycheck by minimum wage increasing.
an average of 2080 hours a year? You think minimum wage workers work an average of 40 hours/week for 52 weeks a year?

i think you might be overstating this by quite a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey