Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of the new $50.00 charge for Handicap Street Parking?

Some people complain about it but I say it's about time. The reason is because there are a lot of people who don't really need it. More people today wbho appear to qualify need it to be close to their front door yet they have no problem walking in places like Walmart for an hour or more.

Street Handicap parking used to be for all handicaped people but not anymore now those spaces are designated strictly for the house and only that house or apt. the handicap person lives in. So there can 3 or 4 handicap people on the block and all 4 spaces have the house/apt. number for each one. Sheesh talk about private parking. Hey it's their own private driveway on the street and they don't pay extra to have that luxury yet to have a driveway on your property you have to pay to have it.

Anyone else visiting the area cannot use any of the handicap parking spaces because as noted on all signs they are for private use only. This $50.00 need to be upped or at least for one month of use since it's for their private use only. Another thing I noticed is they have spouses who use their vehicle with the handicap plates so they can get that nice convenient parking.

I'm all for having your own private handicap parking as long as it's for people who have handicapped children and or in a wheelchair but to be honest I hate that overweight people use it for no other purpose than easy convenience yet they have no problem walking, although some just look it, when shopping and browsing around. I know a woman who comes to work in high heels and uses the handicap space because she claims she has a bad back. I'm like ok but what do I see on the weekend but her in sneakers and jogging pants in the park walking around with no problem at all. I suggested she wear flat shoes since she has a bad back and she just smiled and said yeah I probably should but of course we both know she doean't need to. I am so sick and tired of people using any excuse to get close guaranteed parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
I very much think that women who are in their last trimester should get a handicap parking pass for a 3.5 month window. It was impossible to do errands while very pregnant. I know that pregnant women aren't handicapped but it would be very helpful.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
When I had surgery, I had to walk on crutches past acres of handicapped spots, most empty, some occupied by people who could walk better than me. Now I've got arthritis, same thing. The experience has embittered me* and now I figure handicapped people should play the cards as they're dealt as far as parking goes, not demand special privileges from the rest of us. Same goes for pregnant women; your child, your choice, your problem.

* OK, actually I was always this bitter.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
When I had surgery, I had to walk on crutches past acres of handicapped spots, most empty, some occupied by people who could walk better than me. Now I've got arthritis, same thing. The experience has embittered me* and now I figure handicapped people should play the cards as they're dealt as far as parking goes, not demand special privileges from the rest of us. Same goes for pregnant women; your child, your choice, your problem.

* OK, actually I was always this bitter.
I know how you feel with having arthritis and my heart goes out to you. It is horrible to live with. You were on crutches and still didn't use the handicap parking I think you should have been allowed to. But considering what I see today I can see why you couldn't and I understand why you wouldn't. It's not right that they get their own private parking when most aren't really handicapped and those who are still can't use those same parking spaces unless they live at the house/apt. # on the sign.

I know a woman who as furious when she had to move her car from across the street in a parking lot for parking their all day long. The store owner was upset and tried knocking on her door to tell her to move it because it took a space away from his cutomers. He had limited parking spaces for customers so he needed that space. The street parking that day was completely full not one space was available so she flipped out because she had no other place to park it. It wasn't long after that when she got the town to install the custom made for her only handicp parking street sign. This woman never has any problem walking when it comes to shopping and browsing around. Her husband is always trying to get her lazy ass up and moving but she doesn't want to go out until she can spend on anything she wants that's when all of a sudden she's ok. If she can use a shopping cart and cane in the store for walking long distance then she should have to when parking her car. Those spaces should be for people who really do need them.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I very much think that women who are in their last trimester should get a handicap parking pass for a 3.5 month window. It was impossible to do errands while very pregnant. I know that pregnant women aren't handicapped but it would be very helpful.

My Mother did just fine without handicap parking with all her children. I know women who live on very busy streets and don't have a driveway so they park on the street. It's never just a pass that's the problem. The signs go up for anyone who is pregnant and not all women in the same area are always pregnant. Most of the time the pregnant with an infant parking is empty and a wasted space. It may be hard for some women but I see so many who have to park like everyone else. If it's that hard then maybe they shouldn't be driving then arrangements should be made ahead of time.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
One thing I have noticed much more lately is morbidly obese people with the handicapped permits and using the motorized scooters at supermarkets and stores. If they actually moved around a bit maybe they would help their situation.

On the flip side, I knew a young woman who had a large part of her lung removed due to a car accident and was granted handicap parking. If you looked at her you would never know that she had any type of handicap but if she exerted herself too much she could end up in the hospital or worse. Walking a long distance to the store plus shopping sucked the life out of her (literally) so you can't always judge a handicap on appearance.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
No, you cannot always judge. In March of 1945 my father lost both his feet and the lower party of his legs in Alsace-Lorraine. For the next 55 years he walked on artificial legs except for the times when the stumps were so infected that he couldn't wear his legs for a while. Of course, for most of those 55 years there were no such things as handicapped parking spaces. I remember going shopping with him for my mother's Christmas gifts and my sister and I would jump out and sit in an empty space until he could drive to it. People would yell at us and we would yell back that our dad needed a space close to the store because he was a handicapped vet.

After they came up with the parking spot laws, people would often say rude things to him because it wasn't apparent to them that he was walking on prosthetics. He had "DAV" plates and then the "H" plates, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

By the way, my mother went through 7 pregnancies AND lifted the wheelchair in and out of the car, hehehe She never had a handicapped spot, either.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
One thing I have noticed much more lately is morbidly obese people with the handicapped permits and using the motorized scooters at supermarkets and stores. If they actually moved around a bit maybe they would help their situation.

On the flip side, I knew a young woman who had a large part of her lung removed due to a car accident and was granted handicap parking. If you looked at her you would never know that she had any type of handicap but if she exerted herself too much she could end up in the hospital or worse. Walking a long distance to the store plus shopping sucked the life out of her (literally) so you can't always judge a handicap on appearance.

That is true we can't always judge by looks sometimes. But there are signs to let us know if missing a body part or an illness is the real reason for using the handicap parking. Though I am targeting the street parking not necessarily the store parking lots with handicap parking. It's the street parking where people use anything they can muster up just to get their own private parking spot at home. At least with the store parking the handicap space is for all handicap not just one designated person, only. That makes a huge difference to me. If she is able to walk through the store without needing the motorized gocart then she's not so handicapped and if she does run out of breath it's not because she parked a few feet further it's because she walked all throughout the store shopping and probably too fast.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, you cannot always judge. In March of 1945 my father lost both his feet and the lower party of his legs in Alsace-Lorraine. For the next 55 years he walked on artificial legs except for the times when the stumps were so infected that he couldn't wear his legs for a while. Of course, for most of those 55 years there were no such things as handicapped parking spaces. I remember going shopping with him for my mother's Christmas gifts and my sister and I would jump out and sit in an empty space until he could drive to it. People would yell at us and we would yell back that our dad needed a space close to the store because he was a handicapped vet.

After they came up with the parking spot laws, people would often say rude things to him because it wasn't apparent to them that he was walking on prosthetics. He had "DAV" plates and then the "H" plates, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

By the way, my mother went through 7 pregnancies AND lifted the wheelchair in and out of the car, hehehe She never had a handicapped spot, either.
Smart idea using the kids to save the space LOL. I am not against using handicap parking when people really are handicap and I am primarily talking about street parking as I said to other posters. I get that it's not always easy to see they are ligitimate. My problem is how can it make such a difference for them when they walk all through the entire store shopping but all of a sudden when outside and looking for a parking space all of a sudden it's too hard to walk? I don't get that. If they need that spot closer to the door then they should need the cart too so they don't have to walk through out the entire store. At least with the store handicap parking they are all for all handicap people not just designated types or people that are and just claim to be handicapped. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad having to go through that the plates alone should have let people know a vet needing handicap parking is an exception.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM

50,706 posts, read 36,411,320 times
You can't always tell by looking, if someone has heart disease, lung disease like COPD, etc, you won't be able to tell at first sight but they can't walk far. There are always people who are going to game EVERY system, but it's not up to me to judge who needs it and who doesn't, at least not just on sight. if we're going to place blame though, place it on the doctors who are the ones filling out the DMV paperwork claiming they need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: