Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:05 PM

291 posts, read 390,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil998 View Post
I don't doubt that part of their motivation for randomly assaulting people is for pure amusement or peer pressure. But what I do question and doubt is that there is a racial motivation behind these assaults. At least from what I have been reading so far about it, none of these assaults have been racially motivated. All of the offenders likely picked their victim to hit because they were old and walking alone (which is what most criminals do anyways when they pick a victim), not because they were white. If it was an eldery black man, they probably would have assaulted him in similar fashion.
I agree with most of what you wrote, except the end. By far, the majority of the victims have been white.

Quote:
And to the point about culture, I don't think urban black youth even have a sense of what their own culture is anyways. Their "culture" per se is constantly misrepresented anyways on a daily basis in society; what they typically see on the street on a normal day is NOT what is usually depicted about urban neighborhoods in media. So I doubt these offenders saw it that way when they chose their random person to assault.
I have worked in the black community in law enforcement for many years. While I'm not black, I can speak from the standpoint of being a close observer.

Regarding the culture, I don't view the thug/gang member/drug dealer element as part of the black culture overall. They are a subculture

Much of where I work is poor and low income. I have met wonderful people and wonderful families during my time. They are not the same as the thugs, the same way the Klan or the Arian Nation or any other street gang are not the same as normal every day whites.

I was invited to and attended two Black History celebrations. What I saw there had nothing to do with the criminal predators I deal with at other times.

As far as you saying the culture was being misrepresented, I wasn't sure if you meant the black culture overall or the gang element.

Quote:

Honestly, all the "race" problems would go away if we dropped the concept of race altogether from every society. Race is a social construction; if it can be created, it can also be destroyed.
Agreed. And it is a pleasure being able to debate/discuss race without any yelling. There's too much of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:19 PM

24 posts, read 57,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I agree with most of what you wrote, except the end. By far, the majority of the victims have been white.

I have worked in the black community in law enforcement for many years. While I'm not black, I can speak from the standpoint of being a close observer.

Regarding the culture, I don't view the thug/gang member/drug dealer element as part of the black culture overall. They are a subculture

Much of where I work is poor and low income. I have met wonderful people and wonderful families during my time. They are not the same as the thugs, the same way the Klan or the Arian Nation or any other street gang are not the same as normal every day whites.

I was invited to and attended two Black History celebrations. What I saw there had nothing to do with the criminal predators I deal with at other times.

As far as you saying the culture was being misrepresented, I wasn't sure if you meant the black culture overall or the gang element.

Agreed. And it is a pleasure being able to debate/discuss race without any yelling. There's too much of that.
I was primarily talking about black culture and the non-related gang violence. Gang culture is another animal of a topic. And true, the majority of the victims were white in the videos. That is not even up for dispute. I just question and highly doubt whether these assaults were racially motivated or even part of some "game." I think we will just agree to disagree.

But yes, It was really good for once to discuss a topic on CD, especially race, without yelling, personal insults, and even trolling in some cases.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
I was primarily talking about black culture and the non-related gang violence. Gang culture is another animal of a topic. And true, the majority of the victims were white in the videos. That is not even up for dispute. I just question and highly doubt whether these assaults were racially motivated or even part of some "game." I think we will just agree to disagree.

But yes, It was really good for once to discuss a topic on CD, especially race, without yelling, personal insults, and even trolling in some cases.
Being able to do exactly this is what will eventually allow the concept of race to be dropped. And i think each generation gets better at this.

Having said that, you cant simply ignore race, especially as it stands today because when we look at the disproportionate numbers of blacks committing crimes, playing the knockout game, that are impoverished, in jail.... there is a logical reason for this. But that may be something for another conversation.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Lets be thankful that we can all have intelligent conversations about very important topics like this. It may just be a message board, but i think it still helps somehow.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Having said that, you cant simply ignore race, especially as it stands today because when we look at the disproportionate numbers of blacks committing crimes, playing the knockout game, that are impoverished, in jail.... there is a logical reason for this. But that may be something for another conversation.
that's not a conversation that anyone can have.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
I'm surprised that Pinky isn't already banned with that observation. Must have connections.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure why some people are offended that attention has been brought to this stuff. there is an underlying reason why someone like nexis doesn't like that this is news.
Right? I don't know why anybody would ever think it is ok for someone, or a group, to walk up to another person at random and punch them, especially in the head. I don't care how often the media does or doesn't talk about it, either way it is still happening and will always be wrong. I just cannot fathom how people are writing this off as no big deal. It's assault. Possibly attempted murder. And possibly could become murder if the victim is hit in the wrong spot and dies. It IS a big deal. Stop with the excuses.

It's no big deal until it happens to you, or your 70 year old mother. Then try to tell me it's not big deal. Sick.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Actually,most of the people you see in the vids are hispanic.

The guy in Hoboken was hispanic. He died from the head trauma.

Also,most of the people in the vids are white,but blacks have been doing this to other blacks for a while now....its only getting attention because the victims are white.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I'm still trying to figure out how a gun would stop someone from punching and knocking you out?

They punch,you shoot...but it isn't that easy.

Ex: They walk past,punch and knock you out before you have a chance to get the gun out and shoot..

Or do you shoot first at any suspicious black male?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Default Or do you shoot first at any suspicious black male?

I know you are saying this sarcasticly. No, no ones advocating this. But I sure do hope someone that gets assaulted for doing nothing wrong walking down the block turns around a blows the thugs head off with a 44 magnum(dirty harry). Maybe than and only than the thugs, criminals or whatever you want to call them will stop playing the"game". If I was on the jury and someone shot 3 or 4 of these thugs my verdict is innocent.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Actually,most of the people you see in the vids are hispanic.

The guy in Hoboken was hispanic. He died from the head trauma.

Also,most of the people in the vids are white,but blacks have been doing this to other blacks for a while now....its only getting attention because the victims are white.
so is that the logic where someone doesn't like that this is getting attention now? "this kind of stuff happens to black people all the time so why make a fuss over a few white people getting knocked out?"

and what I would like to see is a group of 8 teens where 1 teen plays knockout, then a passerby pulls out a gun and kills all 8 of the teens. if you want to make it more justifiable legally, make the passerby be someone who is with the victim but happens to be a few feet away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey