Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times

Advertisements

I read an article that said that a family of 4 in NJ needs at least $72000 per year to get by in northern NJ (cant find the source now, but was posted on NJ.com a few months ago), which is kind of scary . Rest of the country can manage well with $50-$55 K per year. If $72000 is barely middle class in Northern NJ, I would like to know what people here consider "rich". When I say Rich, I am talking about the top 15 %, not 1 percenter's alone. I am imagining anything above $165,000, but may be wrong. Boy, a dollar does not go anywhere in this state does it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times
Is that HHI? I don't know how these folks in North Jersey do it. I wonder if these folks are leveraged to ****, meaning 1 month without a paycheck and they are doomed? I have been spending a lot of time in the past few months in the Somerset Hills, and I love the area. Been looking at real estate and am shocked at what I am seeing. 60 yr old splits with an 80's reno for 600k??? Thats crazy. We're young, and prob could afford that in the not so distant future, but what for?

My thinking is an HHI of 200k AFTER taxes and deductions is rich and what you need to live "comfortably" in North Jersey

Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,640 times
NNJ is expensive, but it's also about lifestyles and choices. Many people who are struggle also live beyond their means.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM

74 posts, read 124,398 times
I agree with izannimda!

We live in a mortgage free home in Ridgewood, paid for our son's college education and will shortly retire with a 6 figure income.

The "secret" to living well in North Jersey (or anywhere) is:

To be married with both spouses working
To be blessed with good health so you both can continue to work
To avoid expensive, bad habits such as smoking, drinking, gambling, compulsive shopping,......
To avoid leasing autos
To keep your automobiles for at least 10 years
To place savings before spending
To invest wisely

Old 11-23-2013, 10:45 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portgas View Post
I agree with izannimda!

We live in a mortgage free home in Ridgewood, paid for our son's college education and will shortly retire with a 6 figure income.

To avoid expensive, bad habits such as smoking, drinking, gambling, compulsive shopping,......
To avoid leasing autos
To invest wisely
All makes sense, though assume a six figure retirement means you have increasingly-rare pensions.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM

74 posts, read 124,398 times
My wife will get a modest pension...The rest is S.S. and returns from IRA's

Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I read an article that said that a family of 4 in NJ needs at least $72000 per year to get by in northern NJ (cant find the source now, but was posted on NJ.com a few months ago), which is kind of scary . Rest of the country can manage well with $50-$55 K per year. If $72000 is barely middle class in Northern NJ, I would like to know what people here consider "rich". When I say Rich, I am talking about the top 15 %, not 1 percenter's alone. I am imagining anything above $165,000, but may be wrong. Boy, a dollar does not go anywhere in this state does it .
I don't think $72K would get a family of 4 very far. Maybe if you're single it sounds incredulous.

You're at a 25% tax rate right off the bat, so the feds get $18,750 of that. The state of NJ will get close to $4K. So round that off to $22K total and you have $50K left. Spread that out over 4 people, and two kids who are constantly needing/growing out of/eating more and more as they grow up? Toss in rent or mortgage/car payments/insurance, electric/gas & water (infants & toddlers typically don't take quick showers), diapers/baby food, formula (not everyone breast feeds until the kid is 10 or makes their own baby food), food, insurance premiums & co-pays - kids go to the doc a lot. School supplies, clothing & shoes...the list goes on.

Families have much larger bills - and for necessities, than singles or adult couples.

It's expensive to live in NJ. Unfortunately.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Someone could make 300k and not have a dime to show for it. Another can make 72k and be set up for life at retirement.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:34 PM

48 posts, read 109,223 times
Quote:
My wife will get a modest pension...The rest is S.S. and returns from IRA's
Pension and S.S. Two things my generation will likely have to manage without for the most part. Makes living in NJ an even bigger challenge.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
I agree with izannimda!

To avoid leasing autos
To invest wisely
You forgot one very important one.....to be born before 1980.
Most cars don't last 10 years even if I bought it new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey