Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM

99 posts, read 285,485 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. I grew up in Brooklyn in the 80's. Most everyone I knew growing up went to parochial school. NYC Public schools at the time were not well regarded or favored.

Since moving to NJ, I see such a differentiation in mentality. Everyone wants to live in a good town with good public schools but nobody suggests moving a nice or decent town and sending your kids to a private school. Huge deals are made on the status of the public schools in towns when people inquire about potentially buying there. It was the standard m.o. for me growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM

256 posts, read 572,843 times
Because you pay high property taxes, so you might as well get your monies worth. In comparison, NYC prices are much cheaper. Westchester and LI are worse than NJ and thus the similar mentality.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,067 times
Private schools in NJ aren't so great a lot of the time. (or perhaps more accurately, the public schools are much better than in NYC on average). Better than a bad school system, but usually worse-regarded than the good public districts.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsideResident View Post
I'm curious. I grew up in Brooklyn in the 80's. Most everyone I knew growing up went to parochial school. NYC Public schools at the time were not well regarded or favored.

Since moving to NJ, I see such a differentiation in mentality. Everyone wants to live in a good town with good public schools but nobody suggests moving a nice or decent town and sending your kids to a private school. Huge deals are made on the status of the public schools in towns when people inquire about potentially buying there. It was the standard m.o. for me growing up.

NJ has high property taxes because it largely funds it's public school system this way. And because of this way of funding education, NJ has a pretty impressive public school system. People want to live in good towns because they can take advantage of good schools that they're already paying for through their property taxes. There is no need to send your kid to private schools if you live in a decent town.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
I went to Catholic School. Would never send my kids there.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsideResident View Post

Because not all private schools are created equally and the really good ones cost a lot. A good one like CBA, will cost over $50k and that is just for high school.

Meanwhile, living in Fair Haven with get you a great school like RFH and its free.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM

150 posts, read 646,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because not all private schools are created equally and the really good ones cost a lot. A good one like CBA, will cost over $50k and that is just for high school.
50K/year for high school? Is that including room and board, or just the tuition?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I went to Catholic School. Would never send my kids there.
Agreed, it was a joke from an educational standpoint. Don't know if its still this way today, but there was no regulations when it came to what was being taught, and teachers were paid about 1/3 of what public school teachers made. If you're a good teacher in New Jersey, you teach at a public school. Catholic schools get the leftovers.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,561 times
Private schools are expensive. If you are going to pay to send your children to private schools, why bother paying high property tax?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,855 times
You can find good public schools all over America that do a good job educating their students without home owners being soaked to death with insane property taxes. Why some people in NJ are conditioned to believe that outrageous property taxes are vital for good public schools is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey