Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 23,613 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a house that is midway between Princeton and NYC (she works in Princeton, I work in midtown). We recently got married and are looking to spend $800k - $1.2mm on a house with at least 1/2acre in a town that has good schools, is safe and offers quick transportation to NY.

Seems like Metuchen doesn't have a lot of supply of upper end houses. However, I am new to looking. Seems like Edison may have a bit more supply

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,985 times
For that price range you are going to want to try Monroe. In Edison for that price range you do not get a lot of bang for your buck. Monroe which is 20 minutes from Edison has LOTS of homes with lots of land. Monroe has land, land, and more land.

You could also try South Brunswick & Freehold. Have a lot of homes in the range.

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-21-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 AM

687 posts, read 3,252,360 times
Yes, Freehold would be a possibility. I don't know how commutable Freehold is to the city though. It seems so far. Jackson would also be a possibility, but again, it is far. Maybe Colts Neck? The lots there tend to be sprawling, and the schools are great.

You might try a MLS search in Monmouth county--specifically Western Monmouth towns.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 23,613 times
Thanks for the reply. We'd like to have a short as possible (under 50 minutes on the train) commute to NYC. Seems like the towns you mentioned would be longer. If there are any others you recommend, it would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Pretty much the towns mentioned above are your best bet. Edison and Metuchen have the train in town and the others don't but the homes that you find in the area are not worth it because you receive NO land for the purchase price.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:30 PM

You could try Middletown also--there are some larger lots there. If you took the ferry, you're commute to downtown would be about 50 minutes, but then you'd have to take the subway up.

Have you tried Westchester County? The land is the big issue here. Where there is land (Jackson, Freehold, etc...), the commute is so long.

Surely you can find something somewhere in your range, but as we found when finding the house we're building In Marlboro, there are some tradeoffs. We didn't get as much land as we wanted (who does, really?) and the commute to the city is longer, but everything else was exactly what we wanted.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post

The land is the big issue here. Where there is land (Jackson, Freehold, etc...), the commute is so long.
Exactly. Unfortunately now a days it is hard to find homes with large lots and near public transportation. It seems that people that want large lots like being away from people.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 PM

119 posts, read 240,554 times
Default Colonia north to Edison can be an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie123 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a house that is midway between Princeton and NYC (she works in Princeton, I work in midtown). We recently got married and are looking to spend $800k - $1.2mm on a house with at least 1/2acre in a town that has good schools, is safe and offers quick transportation to NY.

Seems like Metuchen doesn't have a lot of supply of upper end houses. However, I am new to looking. Seems like Edison may have a bit more supply

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Next time you are in the area, try to look at houses at Colonia, NJ which is just north adjacent to Edison, that has many million dollar houses you described.

On the other hand, Edison has better school system and it is continue moving up. e.g. JP Stevens High School at Edison just won #1 on NJ Science League Competitions at Chemistry in 2007 that won over hundreds of other high schools in New Jersey.

Another one Middlex Academy of Science based on Middlesex County College at Edison won #1 at NJ Science League Competitions of Physics in 2007 ... So, you know the best school districts are at Edison area...

If you want to build a million dollar house (at lower price) at Edison, you can buy a one acre lot at School St that is right next to Fairway Golf Center, the best golf driving range in NJ as rated for many years, then build a 5000 sq ft house there. That location is very close to Edison Train Station which has direct train to Middletown NYC for 40 minutes (i.e. always got seats, now has two level).

Greater Edison area has been very popular, and I got lots of buyers moving to the area. For example, I got Gold metal of Million Dollars Club in 2006 that is to say I have produced over $10 millons real estate sales in 2006... and there are reasons for that.

Because Edison area getting popular, nearby town such as Woodbridge, Iselin, Piscataway, North Brunswick, South Brunswick, South Plainfield, ... etc all got many transactions.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM

I was driving on Route 34 in Old Bridge today and saw a sign for a new development called The Woods. Apparently the lots are 3/4 acre.

OB would be fine for your commuting plans.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:45 PM

26 posts, read 115,896 times
Red face Somerset, Franklin Township, NJ

Somerset, NJ is centrally located and is near public transportation and has property. Princeton is about 15 miles away - with traffic about 25 minute drive (depending on what part of Princeton). Many Somerset homes are conveniently located for quick access to all major roads (routes 287, 78, 18, 1, NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway). New Brunswick Train Station is literally minutes away from the Somerset area and gives you an easy commute to NY City and many other destinations. I currently live in Somerset, NJ. We drive and take the train into NYC. My area goes for about $600K and up (5 bd/3.5 bath) and every home is situated on a full acre of land. Lots of privacy, yet close to everything. It's a highly sought after neighborhood and there is only one house for sale now - I can try to get information on that house for you. Typical NJ taxes but the schools get most of the money - brand new H.S. that looks like a college. There is a new $millon$ development next to ours, but nothing for sale. Welcoming you to NJ. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey