Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

I don't get the Ledger, actually. I did for a while but cancelled. I get the Asbury Park Press, which has very little actual news, but it's got local activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Dude, last time I checked you live in New Jersey. All media in NJ is derived from the liberal forefront of America (NYC.) You want conservative news? Move to Alabama.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm far from a stereotypical lib (and I hate democrats to boot) but I find traditional liberal outlets like PBS and the NYT to be a least well-written and informed. You don't have to swing to their liberal bias, just sort of notice and ignore it when you read it.

Then again there are the real "dummy" lib news sources that I can't stand, like MSNBC. Also to note the Ledger is a bit of a joke. Did you know it's written at a 3rd grade reading level?
I accept liberal bias. what bothered me about the press isn't really any different at the star ledger (the ledger is worse really). the editorials are really leftist and completely dumb. they just count on the fact that whoever is reading the editorial agrees with them, so there is no need for their claims to stand up to challenges.

in the end, the newspaper is a financial investment for me. I use it for coupons and if I can profit from that, its all I really need.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I accept liberal bias. what bothered me about the press isn't really any different at the star ledger (the ledger is worse really). the editorials are really leftist and completely dumb. they just count on the fact that whoever is reading the editorial agrees with them, so there is no need for their claims to stand up to challenges.

in the end, the newspaper is a financial investment for me. I use it for coupons and if I can profit from that, its all I really need.
A financial investment? What?

What coupons do you use? I feel most throw those sections out because the savings are so useless. Are you looking to save 10 cents on a can of campbell's chicken noodle at Shoprite or something?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

What coupons do you use? I feel most throw those sections out because the savings are so useless. Are you looking to save 10 cents on a can of campbell's chicken noodle at Shoprite or something?
I use the coupons to save money on groceries (sometimes restaurants). so if the cost of the newspaper is less than what I save, im making out. I also go through the newspaper for a small amount of entertainment.

I save a lot more than 10 cents. my most recent trip to shoprite, I paid about $35 for what you would pay about $130 for (combining coupons & sales/deals).

Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
I use the coupons to save money on groceries (sometimes restaurants). so if the cost of the newspaper is less than what I save, im making out. I also go through the newspaper for a small amount of entertainment.

I save a lot more than 10 cents. my most recent trip to shoprite, I paid about $35 for what you would pay about $130 for (combining coupons & sales/deals).
Add EXTREME COUPONER to captain's list of accomplishments! Who knew?

AAA is also a good source for discounts.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Hey, I got one for $2 off on hair dye!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM

i got a bunch of this rocky mountain chocolate almond cereal.

its 2.49 - 1.40 (.70 cents coupon doubled) - 1 (5 off 5 deal) = .09 a box of cereal! boom shaka laka!

freshflakes would probably randomly walk into the supermarket with a hankering for some chocolatey almond cereal and pay 5+ bucks for the same thing I just paid 9 cents for.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Add EXTREME COUPONER to captain's list of accomplishments! Who knew?

AAA is also a good source for discounts.
I started saving the bucks a few years ago and ive become a pro.

what kinds of discounts? I believe ive used it for hotels but I cant think of anything else. when I sent the wife, daughter and mother in law to florida recently, the senior discount was better than the AAA.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I started saving the bucks a few years ago and ive become a pro.

what kinds of discounts? I believe ive used it for hotels but I cant think of anything else. when I sent the wife, daughter and mother in law to florida recently, the senior discount was better than the AAA.
You're too young for this one, Captain, but save it for the future. My former boss, who just retired at 60, has been taking the senior discount at the movies for years. He buys his senior ticket at the self-serve kiosk and then just hands it to the fetus working at the entrance who doesn't know the difference between somebody who is 45 and 65 and who isn't going to have the nerve to stop him and accuse him of not being a senior.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're too young for this one, Captain, but save it for the future. My former boss, who just retired at 60, has been taking the senior discount at the movies for years. He buys his senior ticket at the self-serve kiosk and then just hands it to the fetus working at the entrance who doesn't know the difference between somebody who is 45 and 65 and who isn't going to have the nerve to stop him and accuse him of not being a senior.
my mother in law is a certified geezer, so since she was tagging along (at my expense) i was able to use her for the discount.

back in college, i used to use the kiosk and put in the senior discount because there was no student option. they never said anything. that was in dc and it was a super busy theater with huge lines, but never anyone at the kiosk. credit issues i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey