Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny when people try to tell others what is and isn't a waste of money. what if they have plenty of money? a standby generator with 17kw power may be overkill, but if im loaded then who cares if I have tons of power? I know that when the power went out for sandy and Irene; people with standbys were very happy. so I would say that someone shouldn't break the bank but if you have plenty of money then go for it.
Actually "IF" I had plenty of money at the first sign of a power failure I would jump on my private jet which happens to be on the private runway in my development and head over to Aruba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 50,567 times
Great thread. can anyone advise what the approximate cost would be to install a generator for a home that is @ 6800 SF?

I would like to put pretty much pretty much everything on it.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Almost impossible to tell. You have to calculate the total wattage that willbe used. Remember, everything isn't used at once. Heating or AC, not both. Wellor city water? [/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Then fuel type. Unless you have nat gas, the fuel requirements will be huge.Then heat type, how many ac units, washer/dryer, etc. r? You're going to findthat running everything will require a very large system possibly into thecommercial area. Even the largest 20kw unit transfer case has 16 circuitbreakers and some of those are required for heavy draw items such as ac.refrigerator,. Your best bet is to let a COMPITENT generatorinstaller spec it out. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,155,161 times
I used to be a service tech on this sort of equipment... from 3 kw to 2000 kw.
Unless you have a really big house with more than normal appliances, at your low elevation (engines "derate" the higher in elevation you go), 14-15 KW is probably a bit more than you need.
In any case, if you want it and can afford it, get a Kohler, 120/240 volt genset, about 10 kw, natural gas fueled unit. Transfer switch can be automatic or manual, the latter meaning you have to start the generator set yourself, and throw the switch manually, and of course that will be cheaper than the fully automatic system.
Generac is much better than they were at one time, but I would still go with Kohler. I have seen things with Generac units in the past, as well as trouble getting parts, etc., that I just still don't trust them like Kohler.
I admit to some bias against Generac just based on my experiences 15 years ago.

Last edited by mrkool; 11-29-2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
We have about 2,400 sq ft
I misread a quote and thought it was a 6500sf home and they wanted to run "everything". My house is 2550 and I have a 7.5kw Generac system that more than once ran for six days straight. It powers the hot water heat, well, refring, microwave, and several electrical circuits plus two garage door openers. None runs all at once and I rarely go over 50 percent load. The unit has been flawless. Service techs are all over the place up here and parts (only needed one) were not an issue. My unit is about 7 years old. It's also serviced yearly by a competent tech. It's a propane unit

Total cost was almost $4000.00.

But right now isn't the best time to get one installed. You probably will be better off waiting until spring. The base for mine was poured and they waited a few weeks for it to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey