Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,326 times

Advertisements

I've decided to get a generator installed in my home but...I'm a bit stuck. I had 2 estimates done for a Generac system. One came back with 8,500+permits and the other was over $13,000 + permits. I plan on getting a few Kohler estimates soon. I've been advised that I should get a 13-14kw system but I'm stuck between Kohler and Generac. It seems Kohler would come out a bit more (I don't mind the generator price being a bit much as long as it reliable)

My ultimate issue is that I'm not sure if I should purchase the system on my own and hire a company for installation or get the system/installation through a company. I could get either a 14kw Generac for about $2,900 with transfer switch included or Kohler for about $3,300 with switch. (I could be wrong but I don't think installation -and some material- for a generator should be around $5,500 and with the 2nd estimate over $9,000)

I would appreciate some insight as to personal experience with Kohler and/or Generac systems.
Also if anyone can recommended installers that are reputable but reasonably priced would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Unless you lose power on a regular basis IMO I believe people paniced after Hurricane Sandy.

In my new development, we lost power for 2-3 days....that's it...with no damage and yet people went out and had home generators installed.

I would suggest to save your money for something else.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
kohler is the fancier name; but the reviews on the generac standbys seem to be very good so i probably wouldn't pay more for the kohler name in this instance. there are always advertisements for companies that do this; id call up a handful of them and get prices. you could call a few of them and tell them you purchased the unit to see what they will charge just for the install. i had a manual transfer switch set up and i know it saved me going that route rather than having the electrician buy it. but the standby generator business seems pretty competitive these days so you should be able to get a good deal.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Unless you lose power on a regular basis IMO I believe people paniced after Hurricane Sandy.

In my new development, we lost power for 2-3 days....that's it...with no damage and yet people went out and had home generators installed.

I would suggest to save your money for something else.
2 to 3 days is enough time for pipes to freeze if your home is without heat; I have baseboard heat and those pipes will freeze. Most of the people I know lost power for two weeks, including me. I'm looking into solar-powered generators, but haven't found anything strong enough to keep the heat running.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
2 to 3 days is enough time for pipes to freeze if your home is without heat; I have baseboard heat and those pipes will freeze. Most of the people I know lost power for two weeks, including me. I'm looking into solar-powered generators, but haven't found anything strong enough to keep the heat running.
Yes, and these are excellent reasons to get a good portable generator (and spend the money to update the electrical panel so it can be plugged in there, which is good for running some heating systems and avoids all those extension cords). But that is way cheaper than the full-blown permanent back-up systems like he's talking about.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
My electricity just went out while I was reading this. I was thinking about what a waste of money a home generator is. How bizarre is that?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My electricity just went out while I was reading this. I was thinking about what a waste of money a home generator is. How bizarre is that?
Seriously bizarre. I wouldn't mind a home generator. Not having power for three days stinks, not having power for two weeks really stinks.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yes, and these are excellent reasons to get a good portable generator (and spend the money to update the electrical panel so it can be plugged in there, which is good for running some heating systems and avoids all those extension cords). But that is way cheaper than the full-blown permanent back-up systems like he's talking about.
Also good reasons to have a home generator installed. OP is asking for home generator experience and asking for reputable installers.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
You already know how much you can buy the generator for. I'm thinking that you got prices from a couple of the "BIG" internet generator sellers based on the 2900 price for a 14kw unit. Have the companies that quoted you prices come to your home and actually confirmed that a 14kw unit will handle the load you will be connecting to it? The national electrical code has guidelines and your local electrical inspector will hold you to it. I have installed a couple of 14kw Generacs. I know they come shipped in a couple of variations. One ships with a 14 circuit panel and one ships with a whole house smart switch. The installation of the unit with the 14 circuit switch is fairly easy provided you can install the transfer switch in close proximity to you current service panel and the generator can be in close proximity (30 feet or so) to both of them. You also have to take into consideration where your natural gas service is. If it is close to where you will set your generator and can it provide the volume of gas the unit needs (you need to know the total volume of gas all your appliances use in your home) and then add the generator which uses aprox 200,000 BTU's of gas. If not you need to talk to your gas utility. If you need to install long runs of gas line or electrical lines, the install can get pricey. My suggestion is that you contact a couple of local electricians and plumbers and get quotes on install prices. I'll add that I just installed a Honeywell generator (identical to Generac) except for the color of the enclosure and it comes with a better warranty than the Generac. I think it's 3 years vs. 1. If you opt for the Generac, I would pay the extra money and get the one with the aluminum case. As far as experience with Kohlers and Generacs, I've installed both (more Generacs) and both have been reliable. I like the fact that Kohlers have a PVC cabinet which means no rust. Good luck to you.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Also good reasons to have a home generator installed. OP is asking for home generator experience and asking for reputable installers.
Yes, and threads often expand (for the benefit of other readers) to include overall pros/cons of whatever is being discussed (just as your first post gave no info about installers but went into an interesting tangent about solar options). There are some people for whom a automatic back-up system makes sense (especially where loss of power could be an immediate medical concern), but most would be better served with cheaper alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey