Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

I would just assume the cops took the bat and then returned it. it doesn't sound like this is a case which will require the ability to check on evidence years later. if that's not a correct assumption, who cares. im not investing a lot of my personal feelings into the story.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I tend to range between skeptical & cynical on the veracity of stories told by friends & relatives.

When you have to start speculating on reasons how someone else's tale could possibly be true, it's probably BS.
Well, there's no way I could ever find out now, but I don't see why anyone whose mother's head was bashed in by his father would make up a story about taking his bat back. What would be the point? Then again, maybe he was just as crazy as his daddy. He did have issues, which is why my friend divorced him. Strange family.

Knowing this guy, the story rings true that he would do it. His wife and I worked together at the WTC. In the 1993 bombing, she was five months pregnant and walked down 50-something flights of stairs filled with smoke. When she got home, covered in black soot, she told her husband she wanted to go to the hospital and get her blood oxygen levels checked out because she was concerned about the baby. He told her he couldn't possibly take her--didn't she remember that it was his poker night with his buddies?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I would just assume the cops took the bat and then returned it. it doesn't sound like this is a case which will require the ability to check on evidence years later. if that's not a correct assumption, who cares. im not investing a lot of my personal feelings into the story.
LOL, me neither. And who knows what police procedures were in place in Brooklyn in the 1980s or how well they were adhered to in a domestic violence situation.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:11 PM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the 1993 bombing, she was five months pregnant and walked down 50-something flights of stairs filled with smoke. When she got home, covered in black soot, she told her husband she wanted to go to the hospital and get her blood oxygen levels checked out because she was concerned about the baby. He told her he couldn't possibly take her--didn't she remember that it was his poker night with his buddies?

At that point, she should have bashed his head in with...a bat...a brick...or some other heavy object.
My guess is that, under the circumstances, there wouldn't have been a jury that would have voted to convict her.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
At that point, she should have bashed his head in with...a bat...a brick...or some other heavy object.
My guess is that, under the circumstances, there wouldn't have been a jury that would have voted to convict her.

Although I wasn't pregnant on 2/26/93, my own now-ex-husband's reaction wasn't that much better. He was working and eating lunch with the guy he was working for, and when he saw on TV what was happening at the WTC, he was so upset that he packed up his lunch...and went to the bar owned by his friend, where he stayed until late that night. Apparently having a wife who was in the WTC bombing was good for free drinks.

By the time 9/11 happened, we were divorced. On THAT day, he watched the buildings collapse from where he worked in Fort Lee, jumped in his car and drove the 20 miles to where my daughter was in school in fifth grade, got her out of school...and told her I was dead. Fortunately, he brought her to my mother's house five minutes away, where they learned that I had called to say I'd gotten out. I just found this out last year from my now-adult daughter.

Some of us made bad choices.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
He was mentally ill and placed into an institution for the mentally ill.

I had an aunt who was schizophrenic. My uncle woke up to her standing over him with a butcher knife and grinning.
Another time she took a sledgehammer and smashed his car to smithereens. She went into hospitals after these episodes. She wasn't arrested.
That is so creepy.

I have an extended family member who is schizophrenic. She's been on meds for as long as I can remember and lives with a friend who has the same illness, but they are closely monitored by friends and family daily. I only know my relative is extremely paranoid, even on her meds. Her friend seems okay. I remember one time we drove both of them home from a party because they don't drive. They usually take a bus. We took them a different route than what they are used to, a quicker route, and my relative freaked out. She was convinced we weren't taking her home and that we were going somewhere else. We won't make the mistake of straying from their normal route if we ever drive them home again.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Although I wasn't pregnant on 2/26/93, my own now-ex-husband's reaction wasn't that much better. He was working and eating lunch with the guy he was working for, and when he saw on TV what was happening at the WTC, he was so upset that he packed up his lunch...and went to the bar owned by his friend, where he stayed until late that night. Apparently having a wife who was in the WTC bombing was good for free drinks.
that guy sounds like a real winner. sounds like my father in law who found out my mother in law had cancer and went drinking. I met him for the first time last December, I may see him in a few years. he cant afford to travel from Puerto rico. I don't really understand how these losers can be such terrible husbands/fathers. one way I believe they can live with themselves is by recreating history. my father in law told me how he gave my mother in law money when he left her. she doesn't remember it like that.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Now this is turning into a jersey specific paranormal activity thread . Some of these stories sound very scary. Someone grinning with a knife over me, no thanks . You are out of my life and into jail for attempted assassination of a family member.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
What bothers me more about this is the lack of exposure that happens when these same incidents happen in crime ridden areas - as if those areas DESERVE that type of thing to happen and everyone just becomes desensitized to it.

This man lost his life and its EXTREMELY tragic. However, I look at this as a result of crime ridden areas "spilling over" into nicer areas. If you reduce the crime at the source, the spill doesn't happen so often. People won't have break-ins in places like Millburn. Instead you just reduce it down to a very small few.
BINGO.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Now this is turning into a jersey specific paranormal activity thread . Some of these stories sound very scary. Someone grinning with a knife over me, no thanks . You are out of my life and into jail for attempted assassination of a family member.
It doesn't work that way. That wouldn't be anything called "attempted assassination", even the person were not diagnosed with a mental illness. Since my great-aunt had long been known to suffer from schizophrenia, no judge in this country would place her in jail, even back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey