Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm sorry that you are not able to comprehend the issue.
If you post the details of your IEP, we can try to explain it to you in a way that you will understand.

Pretty sure comprehension is difficult for the Captain especially if you have differing opinions.

I ignore most of his nonsense but I can't avoid him being quoted.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is a difference between that sort of thing and honest American house painters, contractors, and so forth that are driven out of business by cheap illegal labour.

When I was coming up there were plenty of men that put food on the table, roof over their families heads, kids through school including college, and in general had a pretty good middle class lifestyle from owning their own painting, plumbing, or other such business. Not sure that is possible today. Well the union plumber, carpenters, electricians and so forth may get their money but there is push back there as well.

Manufacturers, real estate developers etc... all complain they cannot find American workers to do the job, and that is partially true. No self respecting tradesman will work for the pennies people are offering that illegals will take.
Ever heard of the "Irish Need Not Apply" signs in the welcoming Good Ol Days?

Do you know who controls immigration enforcement? Big businesses like agriculture of course. Our Congress takes its marching orders about guns from the NRA and immigration from the Chamber of Commerce.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm sorry that you are not able to comprehend the issue.
If you post the details of your IEP, we can try to explain it to you in a way that you will understand.

yeah, the fact that your analogy was terrible and your point was wrong is a matter of my poor comprehension. sure.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:52 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Ever heard of the "Irish Need Not Apply" signs in the welcoming Good Ol Days?

Do you know who controls immigration enforcement? Big businesses like agriculture of course. Our Congress takes its marching orders about guns from the NRA and immigration from the Chamber of Commerce.
Was speaking of the times one knew of, the 1960's and onwards. Some of us were not around in the early 1900's.

Whatever discrimination they faced, and one is not saying they didn't Irish Americans managed to do very well for themselves in many areas of the United States. In places like Chicago, New York City and other American cities they pretty much ran parts or all of municipal government or various departments/agencies. New York City for instance be it of their own accord, legal action, or just changing demographics took a good while before it's police force, fire department and sanitation (among three highest paying civil service jobs) were not mostly white European and that meant mainly Irish or Italian.

In Chicago it was common that the Irish knew how to "soft soap" a person to get themselves or family members on the payroll.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
How about we scrap in-state tuition altogether and put this to an end.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How about we scrap in-state tuition altogether and put this to an end.
Then your kids and everyone else's would have to pay higher rates.

Considering one of the main reasons persons put up with high NJ taxes is because of the often good to excellent education system, you are losing one of your "perks".

Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Then your kids and everyone else's would have to pay higher rates.

Considering one of the main reasons persons put up with high NJ taxes is because of the often good to excellent education system, you are losing one of your "perks".
Higher rates to get a good education is not a bad thing. Our state universities only have a handful of good programs. Those specific programs are extremely competitive with very very limited of seats. Those who have the ability to get into those programs are showered with scholarships. The rest, are hardly a decent education. So we'd be doing our kids a favor.

A better solution to attract students to NJ is to make the schools good. Then people from other states will be rushing in.

Think about it. Do you really want your kid studying economics at Rutgers under Michael D. Bordo?

Considering how relatively cheap college education is these days, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM

221 posts, read 379,927 times
It is obvious that illegal immigrants aren't really illegal. I think that terminology is just used to mess with people's heads. Legal illegal immigrants are here to serve a purpose for the government which is giving them these things. They should stop using the term 'illegal'; it is just confusing people. The government is saying that illegal immigrants are welcome here by the government because even though they haven't followed all the steps to be considered 'legit' immigrants...they are granted benefits. The 'illegal' term is just a political distraction to get people upset while they laugh at everyone.

Seriously, actions say more than words. Stop the b.s. already. It's like saying rape is a crime and then buying hotel rooms for rapists. Not that legal illegal immigrants are like rapists. They are usually hard working people with families. I would prefer them any day of the week over some other people. They should help them to become teachers so the students will stop being used for sex by our current American teachers.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
It's like saying rape is a crime and then buying hotel rooms for rapists.
No it's not. Being an illegal immigrant is not a crime ... so it's not like saying that rape is a crime.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 PM

221 posts, read 379,927 times
I thought being illegal was considered a crime. I don't agree with that. I mean, most illegal immigrants are Indigenous! It's like calling Asians in China illegal after stealing their land. It doesn't make sense to me. Some people might say they're indigenous to Mexico or wherever...but who really created the borders? I don't think it was the Natives. They had other ideas about ownership of land...like you can't own it...it's for everyone. Some people might say that they have Spanish or European blood. That's true, but Europeans don't absorb people with Indigenous blood as white Europeans like them. Not at all. It makes sense that illegals from Central and South America aren't really illegal. They have the blood of the Americas. They are actually 'displaced'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey