Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,013,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
More smoke and mirrors. You've been living under a rock.
So we're all lying when we say we know nice people?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
True. If you spend enough time in places like Bergen, Hudson, or Morris counties, the masses of people being full-on dirtbags to one another really adds up. Not to mention the amount of snobbery, which has only been worse in recent years as Northern NJ residents have become more self-aware of their wealth.

Hoboken was especially bad in my experience with young, post-graduate kids just congregating at bars with a mix of friends from high school and college. If you wanted to even try to make a conversation with them (not being an a-hole, just a "hi, how are you?"), you couldn't. You were the outsider, so you were automatically a loser. Many were very unapproachable which I didn't like.

Definitely not my experience being back in CA. Although the whole life attitude out here is different. The kind of snarky attitude amongst young people would get your a** thrown in a dumpster in North Jersey.
i lived in Hoboken for 6 years and I met more than a couple of people, out at bars, that i'm friends with today. it really depends on which bars you went to in hoboken. you weren't gonna strike up conversations with people at Green Rock or Willie's. but i made a lot of soccer buddies at Mulligans.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
Quote:
More smoke and mirrors. You've been living under a rock.
Who wants to bet that within a year Freshflakes is posting complaints about the people in his adopted California over on their boards?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,528,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Who wants to bet that within a year Freshflakes is posting complaints about the people in his adopted California over on their boards?
Bet what? I used to live in CA before moving back and spending a few years in NJ. It won't be occuring.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So we're all lying when we say we know nice people?
He's saying he has never met a NOT nice person in NJ which I think many on this thread find hard to believe.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,276,680 times
Quote:
Since you brought up California I shall comment. Spent a week in the Bay Area and wasn't impressed with the friendliness of people there either. In fact, downright chilly. Made NJ look warm in comparison...

Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Since you brought up California I shall comment. Spent a week in the Bay Area and wasn't impressed with the friendliness of people there either. In fact, downright chilly. Made NJ look warm in comparison...
I find San Francisco people to be warm despite it being the capital of smugness. Depends on who you meet.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
Quote:
Bet what? I used to live in CA before moving back and spending a few years in NJ. It won't be occuring.
OK, I had to look, and it's already happening on LA board:

"Echo Park: lofts going up left and right, bars overcrowded and more expensive, lack of parking, a lot of "nose in the air" type people moving in."

"While DTLA has well-established bars by now, I have to say none of them are that much fun to frequent anymore. 7 and Grand used to be a real Whiskey tasting type bar which has now been infected by USC bros. The Association, One-Eyed Gypsy, and The Lash have laughable nightlife crowds as well."

Give it a year and I'm sure the level of complaints will only grow.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM

1,951 posts, read 3,331,709 times
Quote:
OK, I had to look, and it's already happening on LA board:

"Echo Park: lofts going up left and right, bars overcrowded and more expensive, lack of parking, a lot of "nose in the air" type people moving in."

"While DTLA has well-established bars by now, I have to say none of them are that much fun to frequent anymore. 7 and Grand used to be a real Whiskey tasting type bar which has now been infected by USC bros. The Association, One-Eyed Gypsy, and The Lash have laughable nightlife crowds as well."

Give it a year and I'm sure the level of complaints will only grow.
LA is a DUMP. I went to a Dodgers game last year and we drove through the city...there were tents with people living in them under the highway overpasses. At the stadium it was a bunch of "homies" walking around staking out territory. That part was actually scary. I can see how that guy visiting from San Fran got beat into a coma at the Dodgers game a few years back. NJ has it's problems, but way ahead of that debacle called LA.

Quote:
Los Angeles is a city in decline, strangled by traffic, weighed down by poverty and suffering from "a crisis of leadership and direction," according to a report released Wednesday by a 13-member citizen panel.[LEFT]
Report calls L.A. a city in decline, warns of crisis in leadership - latimes.com
[/LEFT]

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM

109 posts, read 345,819 times
I'm not reading 17 pages, but I would like to add that I live in Parsippany, and I've worked in North Bergen for the last 17 years, so that's a pretty large part of north jersey. And I've definitely seen more good than bad. Sure, not everyone is the greatest, and my brother claims that people are nicer where he lives (Newton), but considering how many people are packed into this little area, I think it really could be a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey