Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Read away, Tahiti. 3.45 in LA seems to be the norm: Los Angeles Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in California

Again, if you read my post you would know that I was quoting PREMIUM (91-93) prices. Looks like LA and NJ are within 20-30 cents of each other. I believe that is a record low -- usually the difference is much greater.
Actually, if you look at your own link, it says the average price is 3.651.

But I'm glad we cleared up that "the same" equals 20-30 cents difference.

I do agree that is probably the closest the prices have been however.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
I might have to leave NJ since there is more demand for Hard core Mechanical Engineering majors in other states as compared to home.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyOyIn8 View Post
N.Y., LA and SF metropolitan areas are by far the most expensive places in the United States. Anywhere outside of North Jersey, NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, Southern Connecticut, SF bay area and most of Los Angeles it is very cheap housing and cost of living.

However, keep in mind that schools in NJ are among the top in the nation and wages tend to be generally higher. Move to an affordable town and smaller housing. Look around! Many cheap places are also boring
COL in many parts of NJ is due in no small part due to their being bedroom communities of New York City, in particular Manhattan. Take away the high and even very high middle income earners of NYC and much of NJ would plunge into recession.

Tell you something else; if the federal government ever gets around to revising the tax code and eliminates or caps deductions that include state/local taxes then NJ better watch out. That vacuum sound you hear will be the mass rush of persons out of state.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 26,109 times
So often people reply to such posters with the standard "oh yea but the schools are the best..." The reality is, considering the number 1 per-capita spending on kids in NJ, we're not even in the Top 10 of State for performance: How States Compare in the 2013 Best High Schools Rankings - US News and World Report

Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Actually, if you look at your own link, it says the average price is 3.651.

But I'm glad we cleared up that "the same" equals 20-30 cents difference.

I do agree that is probably the closest the prices have been however.
That's like a 3-5 dollar difference for a full tank. The difference is insignificant.

What happened to NJ's cheap gas? Did the subsidies run out or something?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot1965 View Post
So often people reply to such posters with the standard "oh yea but the schools are the best..." The reality is, considering the number 1 per-capita spending on kids in NJ, we're not even in the Top 10 of State for performance: How States Compare in the 2013 Best High Schools Rankings - US News and World Report
OUCH. This makes the NJEA look like a bunch of greedy fools!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
OUCH. This makes the NJEA look like a bunch of greedy fools!
A lot of it is that the courts require NJ to basically shovel money into a fire; the Abbott districts have to be funded to the extent that the wealthier districts are, but that money does no good.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

142 posts, read 388,115 times
Im very surprised by the enormous response this topic has got, and the intelligent discussions it has sparked. Thank you everyone for the input.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
To the OP: We left Long Island for the very reasons you stated.

We have family in Monmouth, and certain parts of Monmouth (e.g. Aberdeen) were noticeably nicer, and more considerate.

I'd also look into Brick, Toms River, and other parts of Southern NJ.

Right now we live just outside of Charlotte NC. LOTS of transplants here who, unfortunately, bring their rude nature with them.

If not for our move to the Charlotte area, we would've looked at Southern Jersey, where there are a lot of advantages.

Delaware is also nice. The cost of living is appreciably lower, although work can be hard to come by.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM

142 posts, read 388,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyOyIn8 View Post
So what did you learn and what's your decision?
I guess I learned that many others share my sentiment. But I also learned that jersey roots runs deep and many seem to have a strong nostalgia for NJ culture (the good aspects) after leaving. Despite my grievances, I will always think of NJ as "home" and always have fond memories of growing up here.

That being said, for my future and for my overall well being, I am still determined to leave for a more laid back, comfortable, and financially secure life somewhere else.

I appreciate all the suggestions for areas to look into. The posts from NJ expats who put alot of emphasis on how they missed family and friends back home has got me thinking. I would need to be able to live within a days drive (like 6 hours or less) of NJ to be able to come and visit on long weekends whenever I felt the urge or felt homesick for NJ institutions like the shore, or the food.

As it stands now, Pennsylvania is the top contender. Seems the best option due to low taxes, affordability, and proximity to family and friends still in NJ. But I wont yet rule out Virginia, Eastern Ohio, perhaps upstate NY, etc. I have my research cut out for me!

Last edited by TheDarkHorse; 01-06-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey