Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 PM

166 posts, read 326,674 times

Advertisements

It's funny that you mentioned Pittsburgh. I'm Jersey born and raised but i'm dating a girl who lives in Pittsburgh so I know it well now. I was so surprised how much I like it out there. It has tons of cultural amenities, is very educated and housing is cheap. You have to remember that Pittsburgh created a few multi billionaires in the late 1800s who donated a ton of money to cultural amenities so there are awesome museums and buildings and architecture out in Pittsburgh. It has a pretty hilly landscape and has reinvented itself into a tech hub.

The one downside is that the weather really sucks out there. It's usually overcast and the winters stink. Otherwise it's a decent option.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
If you're having kids in the future, look before you leap. You'll find that you pay 1/5 the taxes elsewhere and then see that your kids will be lucky to get 8th grade NJ educations by the time they finish HS. We pay a lot but we get a top 3 education. I wish it was cheaper too but I'd never move down south while my kids are in school.
So where are all these kids coming from that are in elite colleges across the country? Surely they are ot all NJ students right?

I honestly think sometimes a lot of us from jersey just say things like this to make us feel better about paying what it costs to live here. Thanks NJEA!

Honestly, you don't want to live in the Rust Belt, population migration is south and towards the east coast.

Honestly, not sure why you need to leave nj. You can pick up a brand new house in the southern counties fairly cheaply, and still be close enough for day trips to visit family.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM

166 posts, read 326,674 times
If you do go out to Pittsburgh check out the neighborhoods of Shadyside and Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh. They are the nicer and more expensive areas. Oakland is where Carnegie Mellon and U of Pitt are located and there are lots of museums in that area. I'm not as familiar with the suburbs but those are decent in the city options. Walnut Street in Shadyside is charming and the East Libery side of Shadyside is up and coming with lots of big box stores (whole foods, target, home depot etc) and Google there at Bakery Square.

I've been out to the suburbs and they look like Jersey Suburbs but i'm not sure on which ones are the cheaper areas / more expensive. There are tunnels to deal with when coming into the city from certain areas and those can back up with traffic so be mindful of that.

I'd check out the Pittsburgh message boards.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM

142 posts, read 388,115 times
Thanks spoonman for the info!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Raised in NJ, transferred to PA and now living further west. There will always be things we love about NJ, but there are more things (like the OP) that we don't miss; lines, aggressiveness, the attitude of entitlement "me" centered people, the high cost of living and taxes. There are equally good school districts in PA, Ohio and other states, you just have to search them out. Parts of PA have reduced cost of living, metro Philly is not going to be much different that northern NJ in terms of housing,taxes and congestion. A good part of Maryland is a sprawl of Washington DC, with the same issues you are looking to escape.

If I were to do it over again, I would have given little thought of Delaware a good looking over. Taxes (no sales tax) are reasonable, housing is fairly priced, if you don't have to be on the shore line. Also parts of Maryland (below Annapolis and inland) and further north east towards Delaware are also worth looking at. You still have all of the big city resources of Baltimore/Philadelphia if necessary, yet the quiet lifestyle you are seeking. Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM

142 posts, read 388,115 times
Good advice, thanks.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
So where are all these kids coming from that are in elite colleges across the country? Surely they are ot all NJ students right?

I honestly think sometimes a lot of us from jersey just say things like this to make us feel better about paying what it costs to live here. Thanks NJEA!

Honestly, you don't want to live in the Rust Belt, population migration is south and towards the east coast.

Honestly, not sure why you need to leave nj. You can pick up a brand new house in the southern counties fairly cheaply, and still be close enough for day trips to visit family.
Northeast, mid-Atlantic, midwest burbs and the west coast. Places that value education. Nobody around here says "I hope my kid can get into Miami!"

Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Northeast, mid-Atlantic, midwest burbs and the west coast. Places that value education. Nobody around here says "I hope my kid can get into Miami!"
Huh? university of Miami (Fl) is a top 50 school! Whats wrong with Miami? Who wouldnt want to spend there undergrad in southbeach?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Huh? university of Miami (Fl) is a top 50 school! Whats wrong with Miami? Who wouldnt want to spend there undergrad in southbeach?
Compared to the Ivies I meant. Miami has Ivy League tuition...those damn unions!

Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Living in a place that you hate is just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey