Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,334 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I have started the search for our first home in Bergen County, NJ. While google searching, I came across this thread in the "Long Island" section of city-data and thought I'd replicate it over here.

So, NJ homeowners:

-How long did it take you to find your home?

-When you chose your home, was it your "dream" home, or was it a starter/"good enough for now" home?

-Do you plan to upgrade/downsize/relocate in the future? If so, when? How did that factor into your home choice?

-What was your budget (home price/taxes)?

-Where'd you end up (town, county...)? Are you happy with your choice?

Thanks!

Last edited by juliebeannn; 01-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times
1) Started looking in Februrary 2010, closed in May. Active househunting was probably 5 or 6 weekends.
2) Good enough for now.
3) I hate moving. We've been doing a lot of upgrades; all walls painted, nearly all floors replaced, windows and doors, kitchen, roof, master bath. More in store. This house actually needed less than many others we saw; it was livable if outdated. Some houses were utter disasters, some had quickie renovations covering obvious problems.

4) I was looking at up to $450,000, though I could have stretched to ~$475,000 for a really great place. No such place presented itself. Taxes didn't differ so much across the range we were looking at, the taxes on the house I ended up buying were ~$12,000/yr. Condo fees were a consideration (varied from $220/month to $550/month), but I ended up not buying a condo ($0).

5) West Orange, Essex County. For the first year or two I worried that I missed some great thing and kept checking listings, but I never found anything obviously better that was in my price range. Found one on paper that looked nice at the upper end, but it came to market several months later and "on paper" doesn't mean all that much.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 AM

15 posts, read 33,975 times
1. Started looking in January, was in contract for new construction by August. House hunting on weekends and weekday nights depending on location

2. Yes the house has everything we wanted. Not our first choice of town.

3. No this is our first and hopefully last home. If we need more space, we'll add an extension, but highly doubt it.

4. I was looking for 600K - 700K

5. Ended in Flemington, initially was looking for Hillsborough or Belle Mead. Yes happy with the choice, love the rural feel of the town without being isolated from civilization.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM

20 posts, read 25,500 times
We started looking in March 2005 and closed on our house in June 2005.
It was a good enough home to us back then but has become a "we're not moving from here" home.

The area is nice, schools are great and we have become comfortable so it's a keeper.

Our budget back then was a modest $130K

We ended up in the Phillipsburg area as that was what we wanted. It's where my husband grew up. Other than ridiculous town regulations and the perpetual urbanization of the area, we are still happy here.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebeannn View Post
So, my husband and I have started the search for our first home in Bergen County, NJ. While google searching, I came across this thread in the "Long Island" section of city-data and thought I'd replicate it over here.

So, NJ homeowners:

-When you chose your home, was it your "dream" home, or was it a starter/"good enough for now" home?

-Do you plan to upgrade/downsize/relocate in the future? If so, when? How did that factor into your home choice?

Thanks!
i started casually looking in late 2008. mostly condos in hoboken, jersey city, union city. as i realized I didn't want a condo, i wanted a house, i started branching out more in 2009. got more and more serious in late 2009, had an offer in on a house in bloomfield, but it was just still a tad overpriced (not to someone else though, so we lost it). a few months later, we had an offer accepted in january, 2010.

i was shopping for a good starter home, ended up in slightly more than that, but probably not where i will be forever.

i'm thinking within 10 years, we'll move, but then, it depends on kids and school and such (we have 3 kids under 3 now).

i ended up in West Orange, I love it. There's some other towns I would love also.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM

550 posts, read 966,474 times
>2 active weekend searches. I think it was like the 7th or 8th house we saw.

> It just felt right when we walked in.

>5 years down the line, maybe an open concept for our kitchen, dining, living and family rooms (all on the same floor). The house came with almost all we ever needed. Another full bath would have been nice, but not critical. Next relocation, hopefully, will be for retirement in Hawaii.

Not too high, not too low. Living within our means because we were able to out a decent amount down.

Livingston, NJ. I am happy because my wife is happy and our kids love it here.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 AM

244 posts, read 598,293 times
-How long did it take you to find your home? Started looking in October 2011 - closed in August 2012 - probably saw at least 100 houses - was a nightmarish process

-When you chose your home, was it your "dream" home, or was it a starter/"good enough for now" home? - At the time I was 34 and buying my first home with my husband so I didn't want a starter home - it wasn't my dream home, but it definitely has everything that we wanted - we love it.

-Do you plan to upgrade/downsize/relocate in the future? If so, when? How did that factor into your home choice? Maybe relocate in 15 years so it wasn't a factor.

-What was your budget (home price/taxes)? Budget was in the $500K range, $12K in taxes

-Where'd you end up (town, county...)? Are you happy with your choice? Old Bridge and yes

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...#ixzz2rtKcXf00

Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,705,123 times

#1 - about 1 month
#2 - only house we saw
#3 - only house we saw

#1 - starter
#2 - thought it was forever but hated it
#3 - not quite dream but good enough that turned into long term

Downsize and move close to the city - probably within the next 5-7 yrs

#1 - mid 100's
#2 - low 200's
#3 - low 300's

Western Morris for all 3, yes

Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,671,133 times

In 2010 6 months, we just wanted a starter home.
In 2013 it took 3 weeks, although following real estate is a hobby that I still do to this day , even though I am completely happy with my house.

First house was a starter house. Budget was $300K-$400K
2nd house could be a forever house, budget $550K-$750K
I cannot currently afford my dream home(anything even close to that starts at about $1.2MM and I'm not there...yet)

First house we outgrew too fast and didn't reach high enough when purchasing. Played it way too safe and it cost us because we had to move in 3 years. This current house we could stay in forever. It's plenty big(both house and lot), very nice, on a quiet street and private. If we move it will only be because we want to move not because we have to move.

1st home $300K-$400K Taxes: $7K-$11K
2nd Home: $550K-$750K: Taxes $11K-$18K

Wayne/passaic county. Couldn't be happier!

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,705,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

#1 - about 1 month
#2 - only house we saw
#3 - only house we saw

#1 - starter
#2 - thought it was forever but hated it
#3 - not quite dream but good enough that turned into long term

Downsize and move close to the city - probably within the next 5-7 yrs

#1 - mid 100's
#2 - low 200's
#3 - low 300's

Western Morris for all 3, yes
I just came to the realization that I am in my dream home. A dream home to me is easily affordable which allows us to "live". And we have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey