Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
So I guess it isn't a blanket statment if I call you a cranky a**hole either?
do you think it is?

I certainly don't.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Speaking of blanket statements....
While this article doesn't take place in NJ (BOS rather) it is along the same lines of racism that I think the OP is referring to in NJ:

On The Myth That The Northeast United States Isn't Racist | xoJane

Take a look Halfa**

Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
While this article doesn't take place in NJ (BOS rather) it is along the same lines of racism that I think the OP is referring to in NJ:

On The Myth That The Northeast United States Isn't Racist | xoJane

Take a look Halfa**

Oh the irony of you calling someone Halfa** !! Thanks for the laugh.

Well, that link is supporting evidence FOR A POINT THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST TO YOU. Great job!

Thanks for the article that argues that racism in does exist in the NE US.... recall again YOUR statement: In general, Jersey people seem to be less tolerant than some of the other northeastern states.

Try again?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Oh the irony of you calling someone Halfa** !! Thanks for the laugh.

Well, that link is supporting evidence FOR A POINT THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST TO YOU. Great job!

Thanks for the article that argues that racism in does exist in the NE US.... recall again YOUR statement: In general, Jersey people seem to be less tolerant than some of the other northeastern states.

Try again?
Evidently you didn't read the damn article! You half-assed it!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I don't like when people are bringing down another country's standard of living and breaking health codes and safety codes. There's a reason a one bedroom apartment is made for a small amount of people and not 20 people. What if there was a fire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm not Indian but know quite a few Indians. I don't think your statements are racist but just stereotyping.

Most Indians come here that aren't too familiar prefers to stay with family and there's the obligation feeling amongst all Indians to help the family members. Most Indians don't work for free so you got that wrong nobody works for free. It's usually for a favor that someone gets asked to work at the family owned business for very little money in exchange for future favors. Indians that are here for awhile typically exploit the relatives that just came here recently by asking them to do all these work for very little money or just a place to say until they finish school or find a better job.

Indian men are mostly chauvinists but younger gen aren't that way unless they are raised to recognize the caste system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I had a bunch of indian friends in college. many of them are doctors today. pretty much all my college friends do well, the Indians particularly so. another thing I find interesting is that no matter where they are, they find each other and hang out regularly. so they maintain a very strong social connection to people throughout life and seek out each other. when I visited a college friend in nyc recently, I was amazed to see other Indians from college stopping by to hang out, talking about hanging out with each other and seeing each other professionally.
I think these are different classes of people here that you're all talking about. I know people who have lived around the first class of Indians described above, and they definitely feel the same way. I've known Indian families in the latter class and they really have almost nothing in common.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I know I'm going to get called racist, but I sort of don't care. A lot of people in northern NJ don't care for Indian people. They're good for buying up stores and 20 of them will live in a very small house (for that amount of people). I could my own store too if I had 20 relatives (by blood and by marriage) to work the store for free. They keep their homes and land unkempt. Most of the women don't work, but the children are always roaming around unsupervised. Once one family moves in, especially if it's an apartment building, more will follow them. They're also sexist and Indian men can be hostile to nonIndian women. Basically, they contribute nothing while taking a lot. I wonder if if Indians are part of the reason NNJ prices keep going up. Of course you can pay 3000 a month for a one bedroom when you're living with your extended family. Ick.
Are you trying to be the Internet equivalent of the person described in the OP?

You are going to be called racist, yes. You are making judgments on people based on their race. That's what racism is.

I work with a number of people from India. They are nothing like you describe.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times

Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
But in June87's defense… that is the class of people that he has been around and hasn't been exposed (i'm just guessing) to Indians who are more well to do and Americanized. I'm just guessing he might be living in JC? Because that is where the people I know who also have strong opinions about Indians, have lived, in close proximity, and have observed the more unpleasant aspects of their living conditions. I think it is mostly a class thing.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I just bought some lottery tickets and this man came in talking to no one in particular loudly asking, "Do you think Obama is doing a good job"? Nobody answered him. They just kept buying their stuff. Then he made some comment about Indian people owning all of the convenience stores. I don't think he bought anything. Then he just left with a smile on his face.

This isn't the first time I have noticed this kind of weird behavior. It has happened at workplaces too...just certain people randomly bringing up racial stuff...speaking to no one in particular...almost like they are addressing an invisible crowd. Why do people do this? Everyone in the store/at the workplace just stays silent or gives a look like wtf?...but never says anything. What are these kinds of people hoping to accomplish?
Doubt that if your response is 'WTF', that you are really offended or seriously took notice.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
But in June87's defense… that is the class of people that he has been around and hasn't been exposed (i'm just guessing) to Indians who are more well to do and Americanized. I'm just guessing he might be living in JC? Because that is where the people I know who also have strong opinions about Indians, have lived, in close proximity, and have observed the more unpleasant aspects of their living conditions. I think it is mostly a class thing.
Could be, and I had some similar people from India living above me (13 in a one-bedroom) back in the 1990s. But, you can't live in NJ and not have known Indian engineers/doctors/accountants, etc., also, who live with their families and aren't dirty or don't keep their homes nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey