Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 7,275 times

Advertisements

1 BHK apartment wanted anywhere near JSQ, JC, Edison and in and around surrounding areas from April 5th, 2014.

For:Rent
Description

1 BHK apartment wanted anywhere near JSQ, JC, Edison and in and around surrounding areas from April 5th, 2014.

Wanted1 BHK Apartment $700 PM(+ -)
Looking to move in April 5th 2014. Wanted long term- 1 year and more. Unfurnished preferred.
Lease form needed in husband AND wife -both names. Lease form is an absolute MUST, since it is needed to prove in-state residency for our daughter studying in Rutgers college. The lease form is NOT shown nor given to anyone, this is just for the college purpose, in case they ask to see our daughter's parents' in-state residency. If we do not have lease form, her college tuition costs will rise 50% higher as out-of-state.
We would like to see the apt. ASAP.
Please call seven three two eight seven four one nine seven zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
If you actually get a response to this, please take pictures. I'd be interested in seeing what a $700-a-month apartment looks like. I know what it looked like 20 years ago.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
What is a "BHK" apartment?
$700 isn't going to get you anything in Journal Sq, unless BHK means a cardboard "Box House on Kennedy" blvd.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
700 gets the daughter a roommate. Wouldn't a dorm be cheaper?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 AM

From the sound of the post, I think the parents are getting an apartment in Jersey to try to get the "in-state" tuition for their kid at Rutgers. However, I'm pretty sure Rutgers isn't as stupid as they think they are, and that like other state universities, you have to prove that you lived in the state for at least the year PRIOR to attending the state university.

I don't know where they're from, but they don't seem to know New Jersey very well or they wouldn't be thinking that it's even possible to find an apartment for $700.

I don't know what the BHK thing meant, either.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
My suppositions are the same as those already mentioned:
  • BHK? What the heck is that?
  • An apartment (of any size) in Jersey City or anywhere else easily commutable to NYC? Ummm...no.
  • I also think that the OP is attempting to beat the system and obtain in-state tuition by simply providing a NJ address where they and/or their daughter may or--more likely--may not actually reside.
The OP should be aware that a recent NJ court decision forced an online entity to reveal the name of an anonymous blogger, so if anyone from Rutgers' administration is interested in tracking down a possible dead-beat, it may actually be possible for them to do so.

Last edited by Retriever; 03-08-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I was prepared to offer some suggestions for the OP, but I'd rather not assist someone in cheating the taxpayers of NJ.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Assuming that the OP lives in another state & is trying to get in-state tuition for their child, well wouldn't the fact that all the child's school records are from another state & suddenly there is a NJ address look suspicious?

Why not just go to the state college in the state that you already live?

Unless they are living in another country?

I would think that state colleges see things like this & investigate.

Last edited by daliowa; 03-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Assuming that the OP lives in another state & is trying to get in-state tuition for their child, well wouldn't the fact that all the child's school records are from another state & suddenly there is a NJ address look suspicious?

My daughter transferred to a SUNY after her freshman year (from a private university). They clearly outlined on their website that if you were claiming to be a resident of New York, you had to show proof of having lived in New York for at least one year prior to the time the student entered college. You think people don't try to pull this stuff all the time and they know it?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post

They could claim they live in NJ part time. As long as you have another address and proof you've been paying to live there (for I guess a year), you can in state tuition. A few of my friends in high schools were apply to do that with vacation homes (the parent(s) legitimately had for years) they had in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey