Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 AM

67 posts, read 91,959 times

Advertisements

Actually heroin is an opiod. So once people start abusing the prescription opiods (oxycodone, percocets etc) they sooner or later cant afford them. These pills cost about $20 a pop on the street. Once your on a 10-15 pill a day habit the heroin is a cheaper option. Heroin cost in some areas $5.00. I work in the field part time on the weekends & it's unreal how this happens. I have seen kids as young as 13 shooting heroin to a 75 yr old man who claims he just started snorting heroin a few years ago. It really doesnt discriminate. Rich, poor, top town, worst city, good home, bad home, both parent home, single parent home. Just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
At least two huge problems with no solutions so far.

Town leaders who refuse to recognize their town has a drug problem, and remain in denial.

Two, obviously no one has a solution once the problem is recognized.

DARE programs and traditional edu attempts are very limited in success for the financial effort.

Until traditional and generally unsuccessful solutions are abandoned, the problem will continue to grow.
We cannot tolerate or excuse crimes commited under the influence and treat them as mitigating factors. Damage done is damage done, no excuses for drugs or alcohol related offenses, yet punishment buys us nothing except to remove the offender from society for a short time. Rehab would be herladed as a panacea if it actualy were, but is not.

Drug related crime and abuse is the begins of the cascade of violence that society erroneously blames on everything but the source. Society is in deep, deep denial with the myopic prespective treating problems as isolated issues.

What to do?

The long term solution to re-establish family and community along with the peer pressure it would exert does nothing for today's problems but has to be a staring place.

Lot of 'good' families suffer from this scourage as the greater society lose contributors.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The long term solution to re-establish family and community along with the peer pressure it would exert does nothing for today's problems but has to be a staring place.
peer pressure? you mean the concept that what everybody does isn't all equal and that there are better ways to do things? you aren't allowed to think that way anymore, its not pc. a single parent family is just as good as a 2 parent family. don't be mean to the single mothers out there.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINMOMMA2010 View Post
Actually heroin is an opiod. So once people start abusing the prescription opiods (oxycodone, percocets etc) they sooner or later cant afford them. I work in the field part time on the weekends...
Actually, heroin is an opiate, as it is derived from the alkaloids contained in opium.
Pills like Oxycodone & Percocet are opioids, not "opiods".
Are you sure that you work in that field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
At least two huge problems with no solutions so far.

Town leaders who refuse to recognize their town has a drug problem, and remain in denial.

Two, obviously no one has a solution once the problem is recognized.

DARE programs and traditional edu attempts are very limited in success for the financial effort.

+1

Despite the hype surrounding it, the DARE program has VERY limited effectiveness, and as a result many communities have abandoned it.

Even back in "the good old days", when families were more likely to be intact, heroin was a problem.
Ask someone who grew up in The North Ward of Newark in the '50s, and if he is being honest, he will admit that heroin was a problem--even in those days.

I wish I had a solution, but I don't.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny how they treat these pain killers so delicately now even if you need them for legit purposes.
The care isn't so you won't get addicted. The care is so the DEA doesn't pull their license to prescribe (and thus leave them on the street, probably shooting heroin, as a doctor who can't prescribe is like a basketball player with no arms). If the patient suffers as a result, so be it.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
I (pretty much) watched a guy die of Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome. He moved to his mother's house in another state end stage, so I didn't see the bitter end. He was under medicated for years. He couldn't get the relief that he needed and started buying street drugs. He suffered unrelenting pain while in the system.

What the hell? What was he going to do, roll up to a convenience store in his wheelchair and rob them for drug money?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The care isn't so you won't get addicted. The care is so the DEA doesn't pull their license to prescribe (and thus leave them on the street, probably shooting heroin, as a doctor who can't prescribe is like a basketball player with no arms). If the patient suffers as a result, so be it.
its so weird, you feel like you are being treated like a drug addict after you have just had surgery. I understand the problem is abuse, but it shouldn't impact people that really need it.

I don't even care if people abuse it, their life their choice.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:24 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,703 times
This is social Darwinism at work. Seeing pictures and videos of drug addicts as a kid was enough to make me never want to try them; and even if I did, I knew that if the drugs didn't kill me that my father would if he ever found out. I'll feel sorry for French Literature majors before I feel sorry for drug addicts/people that OD.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
This is social Darwinism at work. Seeing pictures and videos of drug addicts as a kid was enough to make me never want to try them; and even if I did, I knew that if the drugs didn't kill me that my father would if he ever found out. I'll feel sorry for French Literature majors before I feel sorry for drug addicts/people that OD.
Even kids that could be yours or your nieces & nephews? Man, some ppl are ice cold around here. I lost the funniest SOB of a friend 6 months ago from many yrs of alcoholism. Only in his early 40s. The world is definitely a worse place without him.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Even kids that could be yours or your nieces & nephews? Man, some ppl are ice cold around here. I lost the funniest SOB of a friend 6 months ago from many yrs of alcoholism. Only in his early 40s. The world is definitely a worse place without him.
but didn't he make the choice to drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey