Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

I don't really think that there should be a law against self service. however, I see it as a benefit to me since I don't like pumping my own gas and I have very very few incidents where I had to wait too long. also, I know that I will never pay extra for full service if that was the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Typical NJ attitude, complaining about waiting a few minutes while someone pumps your gas. Yea I'm sure it was annoying but you still don't have to do it so don't whine about it. If it was that important to you then you should of pumped your own gas like everyone else does in this country.

Nothing but drama queens in NJ lol damn snookies.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM

255 posts, read 535,909 times
If you had to pump your own you would still most likely have to wait to pay.

That being said, what I can't abide is that when they finally deign to wait on you they come to the passenger, not the driver window.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,818,250 times
So you took advantage of those three extra minutes to breathe deeply and meditate a bit on how you are too caught up in the rat race and ruled by the clock, I'm guessing? Good job. Heh heh heh.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
What is the big deal if one has to wait for 3 minutes in the comfort of the car? Most of us wait far longer for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Would you have complained back in January when it was 10 below zero?
Agree you're talking 3 minutes. That's the problem with us up here on the east coast, always in a hurry and no patience

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Where the hell do you people live that there are still gas station attendants ?? I haven't seen one of those in 40 years !!! Every State I have lived in you pump your own gas, it has become the norm now.

Very strange.

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
If you had to pump your own you would still most likely have to wait to pay.
Only if you pay with cash. Most states don't even have different cash and credit prices. And even here where they do, I always pay credit because the rewards are greater than the price diffetence.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
So since no one believes it I just pulled into sts on route 10 e.

It was 5:44 when I pulled up. Got out, took gas cap off. Took until 5:47 for attendant to come over.

Pumped $15 of gas. Which stopped at 5:48 and a few seconds.

Attendant came back at 5:49

There are 10 pumps. Only two cars were there when I pulled in. Two attendants.

If it were self serve i would have been done in half the time.

Congratulation for bringing up "I want to pump my own gas" thread . It's been almost a month since the last time and I am sure everybody whants to chime in on this for the umpteenth time.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
I think it's silly that we can't pump our own gas in NJ. I also find there's often a wait at most gas stations, at least in northern NJ. There's one attendant managing several pumps and I can't stand waiting. I'll be the first to admit I am irrationally impatient in this regard, as I am generally patient in all other aspects of my life. But I figured out a very simple solution years ago. Since most pumps these days accept credit cards, if there's a wait, I just do it myself. If the guy doesn't come over in a few minutes, I'll get out and start the process, or I'll remove the nozzle if it's done pumping and he's taking too long to come over. I sometimes get strange looks from the attendants, but none of them seem to care since they're generally speaking on their cell phone. I'm making their job a little easier and I am less frustrated. I don't expect I'll get a visit from the gas pump police anytime soon.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Where the hell do you people live that there are still gas station attendants ?? I haven't seen one of those in 40 years !!! Every State I have lived in you pump your own gas, it has become the norm now.

Very strange.

Don
Well, since you're posting in THE NEW JERSEY FORUM, where the hell do you THINK we live?

You haven't lived in either Oregon or New Jersey, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey