Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I also wondered about that job creation aspect. Maybe the gas station attendants are union.

Just curious, is it a common practice to tip the attendant or not ?

Don
Years ago, I used to give the attendant $1 if he cleaned my windshield. I haven't had an attendant clean my windshield in ages. Apparently, windshield cleaning has become "self-serve" in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
That is the part that confuses me........what is the logic for a couple of States requiring only full service stations ? The only reason I can come up with is they feel it is somehow dangerous for regular people to pump gas , and if that is true it is goofy logic. I don't even KNOW of a full service gas station here in Florida (or anywhere else except for the two States mentioned) and somehow even little old ladies are capable of doing it with no problems.
A couple of years ago, my father and I were at a gas station in Virginia, and watched as a gas pump continued to pump gas into someone's car after the tank overfilled; the safety latch had failed I guess. Gallons of gas were all over the place - the driver had left the car with pump going to go into the station for something. Dad ran out and shut the pump off, with gas everywhere. Really really dangerous. We left right after that so I didn't see what happened with the driver and the gas station. but it's something that a gas station attendant would noticed sooner.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
There have been times when I was ignored by an attendant...I just pulled away & found another gas station & don't go back...they lost my business.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no one believes it ... 5:44 ... 5:47 ... 5:48 ... 5:49
Oh, the horror!
In most NJ gas stations, drivers take advantage of those 5 minutes to buy coffee & lottery tickets inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm in my mid-40s and have never pumped my own gas ever.
Do you have one of those "Jersey Girls Don't Pump Gas!" t-shirts?
Quote:
job creation aspect. Maybe the gas station attendants are union.
Ha! I'd be surprised if they have green cards! Most are south Asian.

Last edited by bigjake54; 04-11-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Two states, NJ and Oregon, ban self-serve gas stations by law.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9PCYWCRO4g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How did you like pumping your own when it was 10 below zero?
There was a funny commercial a few years ago, where a driver chose the Full Serve island during a torrential downpour. The attendant inside donned rain gear, came out, turned the sign to Self Serve & went back inside!

Last edited by bigjake54; 04-11-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
A couple of years ago, my father and I were at a gas station in Virginia, and watched as a gas pump continued to pump gas into someone's car after the tank overfilled; the safety latch had failed I guess. Gallons of gas were all over the place - the driver had left the car with pump going to go into the station for something. Dad ran out and shut the pump off, with gas everywhere. Really really dangerous. We left right after that so I didn't see what happened with the driver and the gas station. but it's something that a gas station attendant would noticed sooner.
That would be a very rare occurrence, I've never had it happen in almost 12 years of pumping my own gas.
It certainly isn't common enough to make a law restricting self serve.

I have noticed that in self-serve states there are usually many more pumps than NJ has, outside of the highway rest stops. Maybe because real estate is more expensive in NJ? But, except for a few years we were in FL and dealing with hurricane shortages, I have never had to wait for a pump, outside of NJ.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That would be a very rare occurrence, I've never had it happen in almost 12 years of pumping my own gas.
It certainly isn't common enough to make a law restricting self serve.

I have noticed that in self-serve states there are usually many more pumps than NJ has, outside of the highway rest stops. Maybe because real estate is more expensive in NJ? But, except for a few years we were in FL and dealing with hurricane shortages, I have never had to wait for a pump, outside of NJ.
No, but apparently it doesn't have to be common in order to make insurance fees for self-serve sky high. A gas station owner here in NJ said the insurance cost if we went self-serve would far exceed the cost of his couple of employees. Like everything else nowadays, it would be good for large chains and bad for smaller family-owned businesses.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I entered the fuel one gas station today at 9:57 AM and was out by 10:02 AM, no waiting. 15.92 gallons were pumped into my dad's Honda Accord (which I borrowed, cuz my car is at the body shop recovering from winter damage). Still made it to class on time at 10:20 AM (No, I didn't speed). I don't understand your rush .

Price was $3.19 though, 10 c up from last week. Somehow, I always end up missing the cheap gas week for fill ups .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 04-11-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:

I'm in my mid-40s and have never pumped my own gas ever.
It is important to have experience in pumping your own gas though. I was driving through Virginia on 81 south once, and needed to fill up gas. Oddly, I stopped at the gas station around 10 PM, and was just sitting there waiting fro someone to come. The guy behind me me was like "WTH", and then saw that I was from NJ. He politely said to me "Virginia is a self serve state" and told me how to pump gas myself .

Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Years ago, I used to give the attendant $1 if he cleaned my windshield. I haven't had an attendant clean my windshield in ages. Apparently, windshield cleaning has become "self-serve" in NJ.

how many minutes might lord brady have to wait if the attendant took the time to clean your windshield!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey