Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,006 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm currently a Rutgers student and I'm looking for off campus housing for next year. So far the places that I've found with my roommate that have spaces are the Birchwoods on Hamilton and Louis, Century apartments on Easton , and New Brunswick apartments on Commercial. We've looked at other places, but they were too expensive and some were pretty far since I do not own a car. I also wanted to check out Tov Manor. Do any of you have any current info/warnings about these places. Also anyone know how much a studio cost at Century apartments? (I want to have an alternative in case things don't work out and I know that place is the cheapest when it comes to apartment prices.)

Much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM

256 posts, read 573,987 times
Birchwood is edging on a not so great area.

I would avoid Commercial.

Where is Century?

A friend lived in Tov Manor and a squirrel burrowed in his wall.

I would stick to 5th and 6th ward...IMO the blocks off Easton are the safest, definitely better than the area of Hamilton and Somerset. Of what you listed, only Birchview will have many other students.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM

98 posts, read 269,390 times
I would avoid the areas of New Brunswick near Douglass College, especially Commercial Ave., and the the side streets, such as Throop, Suydam, Talmadge, and Sanford. Easton Ave., especailly by St. Peter's Hospital might be more to your liking, especially near Landing Lane (which is the cutoff between Middlesex and Somerset Counties). Hamilton Street, however, from New Brunswick until a few blocks in to Franklin Township is a definite no-no. I've heard varying things about Tov Manor.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,277,877 times
Starting the search a little late, huh?

Douglass area is fine as long as you stick to the first block off of campus (up to Jones) and don't go 'round the bend (on Nichol). The first block of Suydam (off of Nichol) is fine too. It's right across the street from the dorms.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,006 times
Sorry for the late replies I've been swamped with work.

@ScarletKnightJet: Birchwoods was our best choice but since they have no spaces available we have to keep looking. Century is right on Easton between Hamilton and Mine st..
Yeah we are still looking around Easton.

@Tyler77: It is a bit hard to find places around St.Peter's I wish that we had started earlier.

@Sawdustmaker: Yeah I know, bad idea and I'm learning that now. It is my first time looking for off campus housing and I should have took the advice that I got seriously. Like making sure to find people who want to live off campus or have similar standards. I saw some rental postings for housing on the Douglass campus I'll look into those.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I know we are starting late so finding a decent place is a bit difficult. But honestly I don't care if I live in a box, I just need a place with reasonable rent, alright condition, and in a safe area.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM

279 posts, read 462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblefoot View Post
Hi I'm currently a Rutgers student and I'm looking for off campus housing for next year. So far the places that I've found with my roommate that have spaces are the Birchwoods on Hamilton and Louis, Century apartments on Easton , and New Brunswick apartments on Commercial. We've looked at other places, but they were too expensive and some were pretty far since I do not own a car. I also wanted to check out Tov Manor. Do any of you have any current info/warnings about these places. Also anyone know how much a studio cost at Century apartments? (I want to have an alternative in case things don't work out and I know that place is the cheapest when it comes to apartment prices.)

Much appreciated, thanks in advance.

The major places to avoid in New Brunswick would be anywhere between Livingston and Commercial Streets, and also places within a few blocks of French Street. I saw somebody get robbed on Remsen St (between Livingston and Commercial, near the Douglass campus). I've also heard gunshots in that area once or twice.

French Street can be dicey too. I know somebody that got robbed over there. Although for what it's worth, I'll share this story - I remember running out of gas once at 3:00 AM on French Street. My car died in the street and I pushed it to a parking spot on the curb. I got out and started walking towards the nearest gas station (a BP, I think), fully expecting my car to be on blocks by the time I got back. When I started walking, a guy standing in front of a bar asked me, "hey homie, did your car run out of gas?" I sort of grunted and said, "yeah". He said, "don't worry, we'll watch it for you." He had this grin on his face that I really did not trust. But what else could I do?

So I walked down and got the gas, came back, and my car was fine. I put gas in it, and as I was getting ready to leave, the same guy came back out and said, "I told you we would watch it for you." I cranked the car up and drove off. Nothing ever happened, no dramatic ending to that story or anything. I just remember thinking how I was so sure that my car would be f*cked with, and it wasn't.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

256 posts, read 573,987 times
Then my advice is go with Century. That's a nice location.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 239,339 times
Bubblefoot, I messaged you for some help. Check your messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey