Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
More ppl per square mile than any state, what do you expect?

NJ does not have a transportation problem, it has a too many friggin people problem.
I agree to an extent, but it also has a density problem. New York City fits 8 million people into 5 counties. I'm not saying we need that level of density, but if a quarter of state's population moved back to Greater Newark and the Gold Coast, and say another quarter lived in our other mass-transit cities and towns, we'd have much less congestion on the highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The area is poor in road infrastructure and I can't blame them because Sayerville is on the other side of the river from Edison and the rest up North. Unless they build more bridges and roads to connect, it's the same situation like JC where the Pulaski Skyway connects JC from Central NJ.

Move or live closer to the train station.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM

136 posts, read 224,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
If only there were a large city in New Jersey with ample railroad hub and highway connectivity with potential office space close to train stations...
But if they move to Newark then the big bad criminals will shoot them before they even leave Penn Station!!! (*highly sarcastic*)

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet in traffice View Post
it is impossible to get to work on time due to NO mass transit & dead stop traffic on 287....getting to Edison on time is impossible.
Some people curse the darkness, and others light a candle--to paraphrase an old saying.

In your case, leaving the house earlier is equivalent to lighting that candle.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some people curse the darkness, and others light a candle--to paraphrase an old saying.

In your case, leaving the house earlier is equivalent to lighting that candle.

My husband travels on 80E from Morris to Passaic County every morning. He leaves early enough where he doesn't hit much traffic. Yes he gets to work early (very early) but it beats dealing with that nightmare every AM. He just does it, and does not complain.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
I travel from exit 1 on 287North to exit 41 to 80west to exit 35. Its about 50 miles one way. I leave at 7:30am I walk into my office between 8:30-8:45.

Leave earlier.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
And I assume "if" there was "mass transit" your problems would be solved.
yea right,

Buses would drop you off at the bus station, how do you plan on getting to your office, walk ?
Buses would probably take you longer in time to get to the office, as they cannot travel direct, just from your home to office.
Trains are even more restrictive, they only go where tracks and stations are.

You are free to move closer to your job, many people adapt their living place to their working place
You are free to find another job, closer to home
You could leave earlier to get to work on time
You could talk to your boss about shifting your work hours

1 hr drive to go 15 mi is long, but many people have a 1 hr drive (and more) commute to work. Try commuting into Manhatten, car/bus/train/subway

Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
As a working parent it is impossible to get to work on time due to NO mass transit & dead stop traffic on 287. 15 miles takes me 1 hour on a good day. 3 buses would take 300 cars off that highway PROBLEM
THERE ARE NO BUSES!!!! My boss is fed up with late employees and is considering moving our offices (if i dont get fired first) i live in sayreville and work in Edison (15 miles) the train station is in the middle of NOWHERE and no bus service out of Edison's train Station. NJ transit claims low ridership?? are they Kidding !!! all i see is shopping malls going up in edison on roads already riddled with dead stop traffic & pot holes i am beginning to see this is all political. when i get fired and collect Unemployment maybe i will run for a political office since getting to Edison on time is impossible.

fed up in New Jersey
If you have a smartphone, have you tried using the App "Waze"? It reroutes based on traffic. It's helped me find some interesting ways to work and cut my commute. Some weeks, I don't go the same way twice.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
As a working parent it is impossible to get to work on time due to NO mass transit & dead stop traffic on 287. 15 miles takes me 1 hour on a good day.
So then you need to live closer to your work, particularly on the correct side of the Raritan River. Besides that, at the very least I'd get off the highway after the Driscoll Bridge and take local roads, and there's plenty of other routes to try.

Quote:
3 buses would take 300 cars off that highway PROBLEM THERE ARE NO BUSES!!!!
Mass transit only works if you have some kind of concentration. There isn't much of one, so buses don't work very well. However, you're wrong anyway:

Quote:
My boss is fed up with late employees and is considering moving our offices (if i dont get fired first) i live in sayreville and work in Edison (15 miles) the train station is in the middle of NOWHERE and no bus service out of Edison's train Station. NJ transit claims low ridership??
I find it hard to believe you haven't looked at a map and noticed that there are 3 stations in reality which serve Edison, Edison station, Metuchen, and Metropark, the busiest non-city station in the entire system. And there are buses serving much of Edison, they run out of Metropark, because that is busy, well-positioned station. It's just 10ft over the town line in Iselin.

I-287 is certainly a busy highway that's at a dead-stop in parts at rush hour. It's been that way for many years at this point.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
And remember the Interstate highways where created to transport the US military. We all forget that and rely on them to get around every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey