Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM

164 posts, read 463,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
^Vauxhall is actually the third safest neighborhood in Union according to another website(out of 7-8). It's historically/majority Black, but it's not any more dangerous than the rest of Union. The part of Union that's east of the Parkway is considered the more desirable half; the elementary schools are decent, and the housing stock is generally superior than the western side.
Yeah, Vauxhall may not be a first-rate neighborhood, but it has a worse reputation for safety than it deserves. People always mention "the high crime rate," but from what I can tell, it's less really, really dangerous than it is kind of drab and depressing-looking in comparison to most of the rest of Union. It has fewer trees, smaller lawns, lots of empty paved lots, etc. Even the sky looks a little bit grayer in Vauxhall. (In the blocks of Maplewood and Millburn that border Vauxhall, too. Smog from Route 78, perhaps?)

In addition to being majority black, Vauxhall also seems to have a higher than average population of senior citizens. I actually think of "old people" first when I think of who lives in Vauxhall.

Everyone is right about the middling to low performance of the Union public schools, however.

Last edited by Marya; 06-04-2014 at 01:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 26,286 times
FYI, Union just approved Avalon Bay to built 200 units at the empty industrial site on Vauxhall that close to 78,
Medium price range, a lot of things happening in Union, good luck,

Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The area where I live in Union is getting yuppier because lots of Kean University kids stayed around during school remained after they graduate and found jobs in the city. A lot of co-ops developments in Union county along the NJTransit track areas in general.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The area where I live in Union is getting yuppier because lots of Kean University kids stayed around during school remained after they graduate and found jobs in the city. A lot of co-ops developments in Union county along the NJTransit track areas in general.
This ^^^

And the fact that gen-y/millenials are generally comfortable with the idea of possibly having to interact with people who may be of a different background than they are.

The pearl-clutching in this thread and on this board in general is astounding.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Union always seemed somewhat more clear of the bad areas (compared to Roselle, Hillside, Lynden, etc) yet more afforable housing-wise than Westfield, Cranford, and Clark. Union has excellent route 22, EWR, and NYC access.

Also what some people don't know is that Union twp has some extremely well kept and beautiful old homes. Not surprising of the reports that it is becoming a 'starter' community. Makes sense for those young people who can't afford Summit, want good NYC access, and also a home to start out in.

The school system is clearly a downer but certain to be avoidable either. Vauxhall is to be avoided but most of the good areas of Union are far away from it anyway.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 AM

11 posts, read 26,286 times
There are good G and T programs at Union as well, begin at 1st garde.
Also, I don't understand why people compareing the school system, are they the same?
What I know is how much the parent get involve the kids daily works, please don't complaint the school and the teacher, they are not responsible for that. As a parent is your own responsible to do that.
That's why the school at the rich area are better, because the parents are more involve the kids education and activities.
This is my 2 cents.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM

279 posts, read 461,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
I'm half Hispanic and was born and raised in Elizabeth ... but keep playing the race card if you think it will score you points. BTW, your website doesn't say anything. But if you're trying to say that there are 4-5 neighborhoods in Union worse than Vauxhall, you either live in Vauxhall or are completely delusional.

Half-Hispanic, huh? Just like George Zimmerman. Look, I live in Elizabeth and none of those areas are what I would call "a dump". Now if we were talking about Newark, Trenton, or Camden, then yes you could easily call those places a "dump" and it wouldn't necessarily be racially biased. But Linden, Roselle, and especially Union are OK towns. Not great, but not terrible either. To try to make it sound as if they're comparable to someplace like Newark (a city that truly deserves to be called a dump) is ridiculous.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you think that Linden is a dump, then you definitely don't want to see Roselle!

Linden is actually very comparable to Roselle in terms of crime rate (both towns have a noticeable degree of crime, but they're both a far cry from Newark, Irvington, Trenton, etc). But I guess since Roselle's majority black and Linden is not, that automatically makes it more dangerous, right?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Half-Hispanic, huh? Just like George Zimmerman. Look, I live in Elizabeth and none of those areas are what I would call "a dump". Now if we were talking about Newark, Trenton, or Camden, then yes you could easily call those places a "dump" and it wouldn't necessarily be racially biased. But Linden, Roselle, and especially Union are OK towns. Not great, but not terrible either. To try to make it sound as if they're comparable to someplace like Newark (a city that truly deserves to be called a dump) is ridiculous.
More race card ignorance from a poster named 'WHITE Wine' ... how ironic. Before spouting your hate, why don't you try some reading comprehension. I never called any of those towns a 'dump'. What I did day say is they're all in decline and Union was the best of the lot. That sentiment has been echoed by many other posters this thread. BTW, I'm Puerto Rican and Italian if you must know and spent the majority of my years in Elizabeth when it was great town. Now it is a 'dump' because it's inhabited by people like you.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
More race card ignorance from a poster named 'WHITE Wine' ... how ironic. Before spouting your hate, why don't you try some reading comprehension. I never called any of those towns a 'dump'. What I did day say is they're all in decline and Union was the best of the lot. That sentiment has been echoed by many other posters this thread. BTW, I'm Puerto Rican and Italian if you must know and spent the majority of my years in Elizabeth when it was great town. Now it is a 'dump' because it's inhabited by people like you.

Dude there's Puerto Ricans that hate black people with a passion. I've met them. And there's definitely plenty of Italians that feel that way, so please don't try to convince me that your olive/beige/light brown complexion somehow makes you immune to being racist. Also, you don't know what I am. I might be a white person who simply called you out on your racist bull****, but you apparently assumed I'm black.

That being said, I never said there were "4 or 5 different neighborhoods in Union worse than Vauxhall", so why don't you take your own advice and read the damn posts.

I wouldn't say Elizabeth is on the decline (I live here, apparently you do not), let alone Linden or Roselle. I can think of several different brand new apartment/condo complexes that have gone up in Elizabeth in the last year, just off of the top of my head. If anything, it's gentrifying. It's got good train/bus access to New York and Newark, pretty good public schools by urban standards, and rents are still quite cheap.

Linden and Roselle seem more like they're treading water, but I don't see how they're getting worse. Same with Union, it's just kind of there.

You say Elizabeth is a dump because it's inherited by people like me? If the presence of people like me causes you to stay away from Elizabeth, then this city must be doing something right! Believe me, I don't want to live next to you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey