Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times

Advertisements

Something like 80% of Dominicans consider themselves "white". Down there maybe. Up here the gringos think you're a black dude with a funny accent. Sammy Sosa tried to bleach himself after.he retired. Nice try, Sammy. But I have your old baseball cards.

Roberto Clemente had a huge problem with the way he was treated in this country & rightly so. My wife couldn't comprehend the separate water fountains, hotels and swimming pools we had just 50 years ago. I didn't have a good answer.

OTOH -if you watch Univision, its almost a total whitewash. From the newscasters to the novelas. Almost no black latinos. The average Mexican looks a lot like George Lopez but you don't see people like him on their tv unless they're kicking a soccer ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
My wife couldn't comprehend the separate water fountains, hotels and swimming pools we had just 50 years ago. I didn't have a good answer.

The only answer is that--like it or not--our country has a long history of racism, sometimes in very overt forms such as the separate water fountains and other facilities, and without the intervention of the federal government those facilities might still exist today.

How else could one possibly explain it, other than simply...racism?

OTOH -if you watch Univision, its almost a total whitewash. From the newscasters to the novelas. Almost no black latinos. The average Mexican looks a lot like George Lopez but you don't see people like him on their tv unless they're kicking a soccer ball.
Mexico is very much divided, both economically and politically, along racial lines.
Those who wield political power, and who own the major businesses, are almost always the ones who are European in appearance, as a result of no family history of intermarriage with Los Indios. The Indian majority, who are almost always much shorter and much darker-skinned, usually hold the more menial positions in Mexico, just as they usually do if they migrate to The US.

I can recall being in the Mexico City subway many years ago, and noticing that I literally towered over most of the people on those trains--even though I am only 5'9". By contrast, the European-looking Mexicans tend to much taller.

Last edited by Retriever; 07-30-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
I am the bio mother of 4 young adults & none of them even remotely look like me. Every time I had another, the nurse would hand me him/her & I'd proclaim "Nope....Well, maybe next time!" My last 2 were twins & still NADA. Sometimes I wonder if I had anything to do with their arrivals....so even I questioned if I adopted them. Hell, I'm pretty laid back, these things don't bother me. I know I am their mother (I think lol)...good enough.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
I think this is the most racist comment on this thread so far
That's what I thought but I gave the poster a pass.

I'll have to remind my wife when I get home today to be mad at herself for marrying me and assuming that no one will say anything about her half child not looking like her.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
If your baby does not look like you, you can expect questions like that. Use it as an opportunity to educate people.

Just because it didn't occur to her that you might have a biracial child does not necessarily make her any more racist than someone who assumes anyone with a child with different features than a parent cannot be adopted and must be the product of an interracial relationship.

Now if you explain the child is your biological child and the woman looked disgusted or something you have a case that she is just some racist bigot, but some people, it seems, are just looking for a reason to be offended.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
OTOH -if you watch Univision, its almost a total whitewash. From the newscasters to the novelas. Almost no black latinos.
when my wife moved from puerto rico, she said there was no racism in puerto rico. i learned that its more complicated than that. there seems to be some kind of "understanding" that being light skin & having straight hair is better but i guess there is less offense to this if you have dark skin there. i dont know, its weird.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when my wife moved from puerto rico, she said there was no racism in puerto rico. i learned that its more complicated than that. there seems to be some kind of "understanding" that being light skin & having straight hair is better but i guess there is less offense to this if you have dark skin there. i dont know, its weird.
Yes, it's less overt than what we had but it's still there. The more menial jobs, poorer neighborhoods and such. Regular interaction is more common among races. In the US it's still pretty separated.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
WOW!!! I live in NJ and there are many asian communities! Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino (not sure if Filipinos are "asian") and many have married caucasians and not mail order brides...sheesh
Those communities are not limited to California and Hawaii.
The Chinese Asian most live in the bad parts of NJ, because I was born and raised in NJ and I've only know Indian Asian people. Most of those are through work. I live in Kinnelon. It all goes back to what I said, you can't have a baby with someone who is the opposite of your look and be made when people point out you and the baby don't look related. What if the baby looked all white? Would it be "racist" if the OP thought the wife cheated? Honestly, most Asian/white couples are with an Asian woman. Look at most media/commercials. Do you see a white lady and Asian man or an Asian lady and white man? It's not even equally, it's mostly portrayed as a white MAN.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there you go. if its said negatively, then you can be offended. i overheard someone refer to my daughter as a pageant girl or some term that relates to that kind of show. it wasnt meant in a nice way because the guy was clearly a pwt a-hole but my wife didnt hear it so i ignored the person. people rarely say that stuff directly to you so im not gonna say something unless it bothers my wife.

im jew-ish and my wife is puerto rican. when i first visited her family in puerto rico, her cousin introduced me to someone as "This is Mamasita's boyfriend CaptainNJ, he is Jewish." i thought it was funny.

my wife moved to america when she was in grad school. she thought she was white but she was hanging out with a group of black girls and they told her "you arent white, you are hispanic" (im not sure if they used "hispanic" but that was the idea). my wife realized that she couldnt hang out with them anymore. the way people speak about race here and puerto rico were different.
Is she white looking? I ask, because I noticed with my Spanish friends (as in from Spain or family from Spain) they look like white people. Where as most Puerto Ricans don't. I've noticed what we'd (as Americans) consider brown/olive, PR considers "white".

Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
I think this is the most racist comment on this thread so far
How is it racist? It's not like I'm saying he can't have a white wife/she can't be married to him. Honestly, most Asian/white couples, the woman is Asian. Look at movies, you rarely see a Asian man with a white woman. If it was a high percent, the media would portray it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey